Getting A New Cell Phone - Need Input!

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
I am getting a new cell phone - the 2-year contract with Verizon is up, and it's time to go again.

I had wanted to get an iPhone, but that would mean switching to AT&T, and I'm not sure I want to do that. I hear the iPhone drops calls and also that their calling area is not as large as Verizon's. A pal of mine has the Droid and was demonstrating it. Apparently, it does everything the iPhone does - just has a slightly different appearance.

I would appreciate comments from folks who have either the iPhone or the Droid. What are the good points about these new phones?

More importantly, what are the negative points? Those are what I really want to hear about.

I think you can jail break the iPhone and get Verizon...But don't quote me on that.

In any case, I only get a lower-end phone and only use it for voice and the occasional inbound text message, so I'm totally useless in recommending any of the tricorder models.

The Evo is better than the iPhone. Larger screen, better resolution on both cameras, and works on the new 4G network. The only reason to buy an iPhone is if you want to make Steve Jobs richer and really enjoy having him control your entire mobile experience.

You can buy a new iPhone and jailbreak it, but you would have to pay the early termination fees to AT&T in addition to the extra cost of the iPhone.

Getting A New Cell Phone - Need Input!

You forgot to add 'Stephanie' on the end.
Upgrading you onboard communications there Johnny 5?

Before you switch providers consider coverage. A cool phone is not worth crap if it does not perform right.

and yes ATT covers America, but not all of it is G3 or better.
And iPhone has reception issues or so MR apple says.

Last edited:
Think like a lawyer George. The iphones keep all data even if you think you have deleted it. ;)

EVO on Sprint. I'm using it to post this. It's a hoot. Too fucking sensitive, but it will do anything...has a camcorder...a shitload of free apps...a lithium (no memory) battery...sync with any number of email accounts...GPS...maps...

You won't regret it.

I am getting a new cell phone - the 2-year contract with Verizon is up, and it's time to go again.

I had wanted to get an iPhone, but that would mean switching to AT&T, and I'm not sure I want to do that. I hear the iPhone drops calls and also that their calling area is not as large as Verizon's. A pal of mine has the Droid and was demonstrating it. Apparently, it does everything the iPhone does - just has a slightly different appearance.

I would appreciate comments from folks who have either the iPhone or the Droid. What are the good points about these new phones?

More importantly, what are the negative points? Those are what I really want to hear about.

I have heard very good things about the Droid, I am also with Verizon and really want to get one. I qualify for an up grade, but am just saving up for the extra you have to pay for the Droid. Plus the Iphone drops calls more than the Droid, I have heard. I listen to a Podcaste, and from the sounds of it, the Droid is the way to go.

I was also thinking about getting the Blackberry Storm, I guess they changed the way the touch screen works, so you actually feel the click.

I was also thinking about getting the Blackberry Storm, I guess they changed the way the touch screen works, so you actually feel the click.

The 9800 is touchscreen, with the tradition (and awesome) blackberry keypad so best of both. And.... it has its own messenger system so you can text from bb to bb. Everyone in my family has Blackberry's - as do a lot of my friends - so it's very handy... particularly being spread round the world cuz bbm's are free! YAY!

The only reason to buy an iPhone is if you want to make Steve Jobs richer and really enjoy having him control your entire mobile experience.

But I WANT to make Steve Jobs richers...but I don't want an iPhone.

Is there anything else that I can do?

Just keep your eyes on the USMB active threads list. Every once in a while, a great deal shows up...but it only lasts for a short time!

I have a Motorola Droid and would recommend it.

Motorola is such a quality product generally, sturdy. A friend has the Backflip and really likes it. I still have my little 3G Sony Ericsson which I love but I'm thinking a Motorola next time.

Forum List

Back