Get your shingles shot, oldsters.

I got shingles at 18. It was awful. But I was getting a lot of tail at the time :thup:

Carry on :badgrin:
Do you want it again? The shingles, not the tail, lol. Cuz if it sucked when you were 18, imagine what it would feel like now. Oww.

What exactly is in the shingles shot? And please don't answer "Anti-Shingles stuff".

If you didn't have chickenpox as a kid.

Do you still need the shot?

sunni darling-----just about everyone had chickenpox-----sometimes so mild that it goes unnoticed. You can actually
have a blood test to check if you carry the antibody---indicating
you did have the infection. My mom said she never had
chicken pox------one day----when she was in her mid-forties---
I noticed she had----some "shingles"------she had very very mild
symptoms--------thus she passed thru the whole POX spectrum---barely noticing it

Besides having the virus inside you from having had the pox, who is at risk? What are the risk factors of getting shingles?

Besides having the virus inside you from having had the pox, who is at risk? What are the risk factors of getting shingles?

generally ----middle age----which means above 40. ----there is
a slight increase--in incidence---if I remember correctly---if one's
immune system is screwed up-------just about everyone has had
the pox---sometimes subclinical case-------one snowy day in February----my three year old said "I have a mosquito bite"----
based on the time of the year -----I was skeptical and took a
look. IT WAS THE POX---two lesions on his little belly-----
chicken pox OFTEN pops centrally---and then pops-----axially
(spelling?) --------I watched----he had a few more pops-----in
that classical pattern. ---no fever---no nuthin'---just half a dozen
pops. If I remember correctly----the older you are when you get
it----the more likely that you will get post herpetic neuralgia<<<
no fun

x
I got shingles at 18. It was awful. But I was getting a lot of tail at the time :thup:

Carry on :badgrin:
Do you want it again? The shingles, not the tail, lol. Cuz if it sucked when you were 18, imagine what it would feel like now. Oww.
I almost died from chickenpox.

Had it down my throat, in my nose and in my ears.

My uncle was a doctor, said it was the worst by far he ever saw.

I can't imagine what shingles would be like; I got the shot.

I remember my brother and sister being covered with chickenpox and I didn't have a single bump.
I remember visiting my cousin.

His mom put him in the bath without any spots, he came out COVERED.

My mother rushed us out, but it was already too late.

Worst thing I ever had.

Funny thing, the whole household had mumps and I never got it.

I get mine tomorrow. So does Mr. Gracie.

Shingles vaccine Should I get it - Mayo Clinic

I had them right before I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis. My immune system was in bad shape at the time and my liver was going bad on me due to all the iron in my body. Haven't had them since, but my poor mother seems to get them about two to four times per year. She is in constant pain from them along with many other medical problems. Not sure if I will get the vaccine or not as it has done nothing at all for my mother.

I get mine tomorrow. So does Mr. Gracie.

Shingles vaccine Should I get it - Mayo Clinic

I had them right before I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis. My immune system was in bad shape at the time and my liver was going bad on me due to all the iron in my body. Haven't had them since, but my poor mother seems to get them about two to four times per year. She is in constant pain from them along with many other medical problems. Not sure if I will get the vaccine or not as it has done nothing at all for my mother.

sorry about your condition-------for those who do not know---Hemochromatosis is aggregates of IRON in organs---leading to serious dysfunction------It can be an illness which is simply inherited or it can come about in sicknesses that require lots of blood transfusions -------It is a serious issue

Coincidentally, I had this very conversation with my siblings (ages 70 and 72) over the weekend. They both got shingles, experienced excruciating pain for several weeks, and yet they both had shingles shots. Their doctors told them that if they hadn't had the shots it would have been worse. My father in law - a tough bastard if ever there was one - was kicked in the ass by his occasional bouts with shingles. He was immobilized with pain for days at a time.

Yes, if you even think you might have had chicken pox as a child, you must get a shingles shot.

Coincidentally, I had this very conversation with my siblings (ages 70 and 72) over the weekend. They both got shingles, experienced excruciating pain for several weeks, and yet they both had shingles shots. Their doctors told them that if they hadn't had the shots it would have been worse. My father in law - a tough bastard if ever there was one - was kicked in the ass by his occasional bouts with shingles. He was immobilized with pain for days at a time.

Yes, if you even think you might have had chicken pox as a child, you must get a shingles shot.

CAUTION----chicken pox can manifest as so mild
a sickness that lots of people imagine they
never had it. My mom was just such a person----
when I had the pox ---age ---not quite 5----I was so
COVERED the "pops"---that I remember it-----but mom
told ---"I was never sick---my sister had ever thing and
I never caught it" ok well she was wrong-----her
shingles, however, were just as mild-------one day--
as she dressed I noticed a little constellation of "pops"
at distribution along something like T10 (tenth
lumbar) I said mom-----feeing anything over there---
especially at night? she said "yes---but its nothing"
She had a very mild case of shingles-------at about age
50. Coincidentally----I had a very mild case at about age
45-----If I did not know---I would not have known. ----the
HERPES ZOSTER monster does it all kinds of different
ways. There are blood tests to determine if "you ever
had it" or not

Made my arm a wee bit sore and hot to the shot and they stick ya in the way back of the arm in the fatty section so that sucks...but I am glad I got it done.

I never heard of a shot for it until very recently. Didn't know what shingles was until a few years ago and it was the most painful thing I ever went through, like a spear in my body. After the first prescription ran out I started eating Ibuprofen like candy. I'm leery of preventative shots, never took the flu one but I would have taken the shingles shot knowing what I know now.

Forum List

Back