Get off my Lawn - Drive Way - Kid edition

That's not "Get off my lawn".

I always used to rollerskate the neighbor's driveway, it was nice smooth concrete.

Ofc 2 neighbor girls and their daughter did too. For grass and shade it was my yard, for concrete and open slip n slide area it was theirs.
The 2 neighbor girls had all kinds of crap in their yard, work trucks, things that do things, junk, idk, they were always over at ours.

I had a kind neighbor when I was learning to ride a bike at about 6 years of age. Had a small kid-size bike and a driveway we shared with the next door neighbor. First time I'd ever had my hands on a two-wheeler -- I don't even remember who it belonged to. I knew I was not supposed to go into the street, and there were no sidewalks, so I had that driveway as my boundary. Nobody bothered to tell the kid that a small circular track is not the way to learn to ride on two wheels. Nonetheless, I spent the entire afternoon trying and failing, trying and failing.

Next door neighbor got home from work and felt some compassion and put barriers at the top and bottom of the block so no one would drive down it, and then put the bike in the street, I got on the bike and he gave me a good solid push. The slight grade of the pavement gave me a ton of momentum and I went flying like a bird to the bottom of the street, fell off, got up and turned the bike back around, looked out for traffic and rode like a pro back up the street to my house, feeling like the queen of the world!

After a few solid lessons about watching out for traffic, I was riding the bike in no time, and I'll never forget the smile and the encouragement and the applause of that kindly next door neighbor, who gave me wings!

Forum List

Back