Georgia is the 19th State Seeking a Constitutional Convention

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
They need 34. Fat chance of that happening. I would like to see one though, even if there are some risks.

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/...makers-seek-federal-constitutional-convention

Amendments I would like to see changed or repealed by a later amendment:
(1) 14th Amendment: Get rid of the birthright clause. Phrase it: Anyone naturalized or born to at least one parent who is an American citizen is...
(2) 16th Amendment: End it or have the right to collect taxes on income only at the federal level.
(3) 26th Amendment: Sorry I think kids are dumb. I think the age should be 22 (normal college graduation age) or 18 if they join or are drafted into the military.

Amendments I would like to see added:
(1) Balance Budge Amendment
(2) House and Senate Term Limits
(3) Requirement of the Federal Government to Protect the borders and ports.
(4) End birthright clause, must be naturalized or born to at least one parent who is a US citizen.
(5) End Dual Citizenship.
(6) Defining Marriage as two consenting adults (legalizing gay marriage)
(7) End of Guarantee Group Defined Pension Plans. Make them individual plans like the private sector.
(8) Disallow Income Taxes at State Level
(9) Require Voter Identification

They need 34. Fat chance of that happening. I would like to see one though, even if there are some risks.

The states can only apply for a Constitutional convention. When 2/3 of them (34 states) apply, then Congress MUST call one... but guess who decides who will populate that Constitutional Convention? That's right, Congress decides who the members will be.

Looks like the Framers wanted Congress's input to ANY constitutional amendments, either by being the sole proposing body, or by dictating which people will be in the Const Convention that proposes them. The states then have the power to ratify, or reject, whatever amendments get proposed.

Looks like there won't be much chance of a Constitutional Convention diminishing Congress's power... including the power Congress has illegally usurped, such as the power to run health care insurance, run Social Security, run Welfare, create the EPA, create OSHA, pass so-called "gun control" laws, build huge databases of phone-call data, etc.

No way would Congress ever let anyone who might propose cutting those things back, get onto the Constitutional Convention in the first place.

Last edited:

The states can only apply for a Constitutional convention. When 2/3 of them (34 states) apply, then Congress MUST call one... but guess who decides who will populate that Constitutional Convention? That's right, Congress decides who the members will be.

Looks like the Framers wanted Congress's input to ANY constitutional amendments, either by being the sole proposing body, or by dictating which people will be in the Const Convention that proposes them. The states then have the power to ratify, or reject, whatever amendments get proposed.

Looks like there won't be much chance of a Constitutional Convention diminishing Congress's power... including the power Congress has illegally usurped, such as the power to run health care insurance, run Social Security, run Welfare, create the EPA, create OSHA, pass so-called "gun control" laws, build huge databases of phone-call data, etc.

No way would Congress ever let anyone who might propose cutting those things back, get onto the Constitutional Convention in the first place.

Who do you think delegates should be? Name some names.

"Georgia would become the 19th state to call for a federal constitutional convention to pass a balanced-budget amendment under legislation announced Thursday by a pair of conservative Republicans."

Sigh.

The article says 49 states have to balance their budgets what state doesn't? Its a good idea...depends on how far things are pushed and I am sure congress would get some VERY liberal states to change the constitution so it will speed the process of collapse up.

Georgia lawmakers seek federal constitutional convention | Online Athens

(1) 14th Amendment: Get rid of the birthright clause. Phrase it: Anyone naturalized or born to at least one parent who is an American citizen is...
(2) 16th Amendment: End it or have the right to collect taxes on income only at the federal level.
(3) 26th Amendment: Sorry I think kids are dumb. I think the age should be 22 (normal college graduation age) or 18 if they join or are drafted into the military.

(4) End birthright clause, must be naturalized or born to at least one parent who is a US citizen.
(7) End of Guarantee Group Defined Pension Plans. Make them individual plans like the private sector.

1. Not a good idea...Maybe a amendment not allowing for more then 100% of the federal gdp to debt ratio would make more sense? So if it is 100% of our gdp = barrier. Some debt is a natural part of having a nation!
2. 5 terms for the house and 3 for the senate!
3. Good idea ;)
4. Good.
5. Good.
6. Good...How about just expand that to adults?
7. Not sure...
8. How about paying for schools, police and your local government?
9. Good idea!

I'm not sure the congress has any right to pick the delegates to a state convention IF they choose that method. as I recall, the only input the congress has is to choose which of the two methods (state legislatures or state conventions) is to be used. the president has no input into the outcome of the article V convention and cannot veto it.

I'm not sure the congress has any right to pick the delegates to a state convention IF they choose that method.

The convention they are talking about, is the one that needs 34 states. That's the Federal constitutional convention. Congress is required to call it if 34 states apply. "Call it" means, name the people who will be part of it.

States can name their own statewide conventions for ratification of they want to, and Congress has no say in whether they do or how they do it.

It is either or not both. Either 2/3 of the states or 2/3 of both houses of Congress.

Here's the text of Article V:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, also as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate. [2]

Where does it say Congress chooses the delegates to the convention? It also doesn't say anything about Congress "calling" the convention.

Actually all 50 states have requested an Article 5 convention, Congress just doesn't give a shit. They have ignored 700 request what would make these different?

Take a look for yourself.

Friends of the Article V Convention - Congressional Records

we have had three bills out here to consider a convention

"Georgia would become the 19th state to call for a federal constitutional convention to pass a balanced-budget amendment under legislation announced Thursday by a pair of conservative Republicans."

Sigh.

Actually they’re a pair of spoiled brats throwing a temper-tantrum because they failed to ‘get rid of Obama,’ like most others on the right.

Republicans are losing elections and court cases because the American people, based on the Constitution and its case law, correctly understand that the policies advocated by most conservatives are failed, unwarranted, and purely partisan, completely devoid of merit – such as this ‘constitutional convention/balanced budget amendment’ nonsense.

Sigh.

Actually they’re a pair of spoiled brats throwing a temper-tantrum because they failed to ‘get rid of Obama,’ like most others on the right.

Republicans are losing elections and court cases because the American people, based on the Constitution and its case law, correctly understand that the policies advocated by most conservatives are failed, unwarranted, and purely partisan, completely devoid of merit – such as this ‘constitutional convention/balanced budget amendment’ nonsense.

Now they want us back in the godforsaken 18th century with little regulations and as a backward crap hole as a nation. Bushs policies at least made some sense...This is just nuts.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, also as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate. [2]

Where does it say Congress chooses the delegates to the convention? It also doesn't say anything about Congress "calling" the convention.

If 2/3rds of the states called their own conventions and they all agreed to proposed amendments they can be submitted to all states for ratification. If 3/4 ratify they are in.

If 2/3rds of the states called their own conventions and they all agreed to proposed amendments they can be submitted to all states for ratification. If 3/4 ratify they are in.
quite correct. the congress has no say as to IF the amendments may be approved. nor to they have a say as to IF a convention can be called. the sticking point is the amendments. 3/4 of the states must pass THE SAME amendment(s) to make it legal in light of the constitution. usually, in the past, congress has avoided the state conventions and passed the amendments on their own to head off any attempt at losing their power over the citizens. guess they feel it better to allow their power to bled off slowly over time than to put themselves in a real bind.

Forum List

Back