George Will On NYC Soda Ban: 'The Essence Of Contemporary Liberalism,...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Jun 4, 2012.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    'Preposterous, 'Sinister.'

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S2OuQJy6ME]George Will Slams New York Soda Ban - YouTube[/ame]

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is taking a lot of heat for his move to combat obesity by banning the sale of large carbonated beverages in his city.

The latest criticism comes from Washington Post columnist George Will, who explained on Sunday’s broadcast of ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” why Bloomberg’s move represents the flaws of liberalism.

“Let me read what Michael Bloomberg said. because in one sentence he’s got the essence of contemporary liberalism — that is something preposterous and something sinister,” Will said. “Listen to this: ‘We’re not taking away anyone’s right to do things.’ Could have fooled me. “We’re simply forcing you to understand.’ Now, that’s modern liberalism — the like of bossing people around, the kind of irritable gesture.”

Stephanopoulos interrupted to point out that obesity is an epidemic. But the Washington Post columnist responded that soda consumption was already decreasing before Bloomberg’s effort.

“Of course it is,” Will said. “Regulating the sizes of these drinks at some outlets will do nothing about it. By the way, the sale of sugary, carbonated sodas has fallen 24 percent since 1998. The American people are getting the word on this. What this really says is — what Bloomberg is saying is the government helps with your health care, the government is implicated in your health, therefore we own you, therefore the government can fine-tune all of the decisions that you make pertinent to your health.”

Read more: George Will on NYC soda ban: ‘The essence of contemporary liberalism,’ ‘preposterous,’ ‘sinister’ | The Daily Caller

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    'Forcing you to understand?' Yeah, Will sure did nail it. Very preposterous and sinister. How did the Nanny/Police Staters take control of our Country?

3. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    George Will nails it...ObamaCare anyone?

4. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Man, he sure did. Once Obamacare kicks in, Big Brother will completely own the People. They will truly be enslaved. If you want the Government Freebie, you'll have to accept being Big Brother's obedient slave. Most Americans just don't understand that. All they see are the possible Enititlement Freebies. But nothing is free. You always pay, one way or another.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,034
    I had hoped that Bloomberg would dedicate his last term to giving NYC an educational system on par with best of what Il Magnifico offered during the Renaissance.

Big sodas.

Salt.

Good fucking grief

6. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Yeah, he turned out to be quite the little Nazi tyrant huh?

7. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,034
    Emperor Bloomberg.

Terrified of the Teachers Union

What a world class disappointment

8. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Yeah, he sure does suck up to them. 'World Class disappointment' is a huge understatement as far as i'm concerned.

9. Ariux

Ariux BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Liberals, because the abhor freedom, want the government to have its hand in every detail of our lives.

10. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Though I don't support Obamacare, I think you're being a tad over-dramatic when saying that once it "kicks in", "Big Brother will completely own the people".

How do you figure?