Gaza doctor who lost daughters in IDF strike: Everyone makes mistakes

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by toomuchtime_, Feb 4, 2009.

1. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,991
    Dr. Ezzeldeen Abu al-Aish, who lost three daughters and a niece in an Israel Defense Forces strike in the Gaza Strip last month, responded Wednesday to an IDF statement confirming that it was Israeli fire that killed his daughters, thanking those responsible for investigating the incident and saying that "we all make mistakes, and we don't repeat them."

Abu al-Aish, a father of eight, became one of the symbols of the Gaza offensive for Israelis after he captivated TV viewers with a sobbing live report on the death of his three daughters and his niece in Israeli shelling. The 55-year-old gynecologist trained in Israeli hospitals and speaks Hebrew.

The IDF announced earlier Wednesday that an investigation into the January 16 incident confirmed that it had been Israeli fire that killed the four girls.
    "First of all, I would like to thank all those who worked, and had the courage and good conscience to shed light on the truth that I always believed. Thank you to everyone who took upon themselves to publicize this truth seeking investigation," Abu al-Aish said in an interview with Channel 2.

The Palestinian doctor went on to say "I have two options - the path of darkness or the path of light. The path of darkness is like choosing all the complications with diseases and depression, but the path of light is to focus on the future and my children. This strengthened my conviction to continue on the same path and not to give up."

Abu al-Aish did not neglect to thank the Israelis who met with him and offered him strength, saying "the love that I've received, from people I knew and people I didn't know, gave me strength."

The IDF released the conclusions of its investigation into the incident earlier Wednesday, explaining that Golani troops had been fired upon by snipers situated in the house adjacent to Abu al-Aish's home. The troops identified suspicious figures in the upper levels of the doctor's building, and deduced that they were serving as observers, directing the sniper fire from their vantage point.

Following long deliberations and assessments of the situation, the Golani commander decided to fire tank shells at the building, and when the soldiers heard the screams and realized civilians had been hit, they helped evacuate them, the investigation revealed.

The army argues further that the residents of the neighborhood were urged to evacuate the area prior to the attack via thousands of leaflets that were disseminated in the area, and that the doctor was personally asked by phone to evacuate his family from the neighborhood due to the fighting.

Abu al-Aish denied that there were any militants in the building at the time of the shelling.

The IDF spokesman's office issued a statement extending the IDF's condolences over the incident, but maintaining that the IDF operated within reason in light of the sniper fire directed at the troops and the heavy fighting in the region.

Gaza doctor who lost daughters in IDF strike: Everyone makes mistakes - Haaretz - Israel News

2. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    The troops identified suspicious figures in the upper levels of the doctor's building, and deduced that they were serving as observers, directing the sniper fire from their vantage point.

"we all make mistakes, and we don't repeat them."

HA! fat chance of THAT! Hey, guy, I made the font blood red in your honor. I know how much you like the color of blood.

3. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    This guy is impressive: choosing to help people over killing people even when his own kids are killed by the IDF. He is probably also one of the few people in Gaza who actually knows/knew Israeli people (training in Israeli Hospital).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  4. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    and an ironic example of what an arab personal choice might just look like when one is not marginalized and disenfranchised by the racist state of israel. Gosh, you mean all those towel head sand ******* aren't BORN hating jews?!?!?!

well shit.. there goes at least 4 months of Jpost headlines!

5. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    No they don't; but we know all Jews hate all Arabs, right Shogun?

6. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    The doctor seems amazingly tolerant, almost unbelivably so.

7. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    gosh.. this must rock your fucking world then given that you usually assume that any arab with a heartbeat is plotting to kill jews, eh?

8. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Not at all. I am the one capable of making a distinction between zionists and jews. Wheras, you stupid fuckers insist that every pali and muslims in general shoot out of the fucking vagina wearing a ninja outfit and have evolved little amniotic bombs wile becoming fodder for your next round of "kill em all" blank check excuses for israel.

By all means, call someone ELSE a racist, motherfucker. You won't be ironic as hell or anything.

9. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Why does this guy choose to live in a country controlled by terrorists?

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
    i was thinking that he seemed so wise, and that he was walking in Jesus's footsteps...by ''turning the other cheek....''

because he knows somehow, deep inside that ''He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.''....something Christianity teaches, but many christians themselves, choose to ignore....

May God bless this man....

care