Gay Marriage - Question.....

... if you are not a Christian, or don't believe the Bible, why is it important to you to try to make it sound like God and/or the Bible is /does not condemn homosexuality?

If you don't believe, it should be irrelevant to you.

Probably because people claiming such things are using their own personal interpretation. And just as the BIble can be used to defend things like child abuse, slavery, and segregation, it can be used to condemn homosexuals too. But only from a certain point of view and interpretation.

Lev 18:22 for instance doesn't "condemn" homosexuality. It calls gay male sex acts 'abomination.' But in the context of verses before and after condemning an extant religion at the time. It's not condemning the sexual orientation but specific acts the ancient Jews observed being done by their contemporaries. Judaism forbids the practicing of any non-Jewish reliigon or religious pratices (Christianity, this means you too.) So they specificly forbade many things those religions were doing at the time from shaving their beards, tattoos, religious prostiution, and male homosexual sex acts.

Pointing this out to those who rip things out of context and try using it to defend their personal bigotry is no more a thing than would be someone knowing the contents of a Harry Potter novel and argueing against those trying to say Harry and Ron were in a gay relationship. :)

Romans 1: 26-7 declares homosexual desires and actions to be shameful, unnatural, lustful, and indecent. I Corinthians 6:9 states that homosexuals are unrighteous and will not inherit the kingdom of God. Since both homosexual desires and actions are condemned in the Bible, it is clear that homosexuals “marrying” is not God’s will, and would be, in fact, sinful.
It's not about having an excuse to be bigoted. Saying that is just trying to put Christian's in a negative light and is a generalization.

There ARE bigoted people out there (Christian and non-Christian).
TRUE Christian's know God's way is the ONLY way, and more importantly the BEST (perfect) way.

I left church and eventually religion because it became clear that those people in church were not acting any better towards their fellow humans than unrepentant sinners, sometimes worse. Looking to the bible to find a moral rationale for being a hater is doing it wrong, that's my personal belief and I am not the least bit ashamed to proclaim it. RW Christians claim a moral superiority but it seems they spend practically no time thinking about moral questions.

... if you are not a Christian, or don't believe the Bible, why is it important to you to try to make it sound like God and/or the Bible is /does not condemn homosexuality? If you don't believe, it should be irrelevant to you.
True. What the Bible says should be irrelevant, since the 1st amendment protects us from religious intrusion into our lives.

I left church and eventually religion because it became clear that those people in church were not acting any better towards their fellow humans than unrepentant sinners, sometimes worse. Looking to the bible to find a moral rationale for being a hater is doing it wrong, that's my personal belief and I am not the least bit ashamed to proclaim it. RW Christians claim a moral superiority but it seems they spend practically no time thinking about moral questions.

I'm a Christian and guess what... I agree with you!

There are a few things to consider here, one being that many people that CLAIM to be Christian's are not.
They may be pretending or, perhaps think they are, but.... it's hurting TRUE Christianity. False Christian's hurt Christianity more than ANY OTHER GROUP!

Fortunately, GOD is perfect and just. You will know a true Christian by their fruit:

Galatians 5:22-23 - 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, tolerance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.

... if you are not a Christian, or don't believe the Bible, why is it important to you to try to make it sound like God and/or the Bible is /does not condemn homosexuality? If you don't believe, it should be irrelevant to you.
True. What the Bible says should be irrelevant, since the 1st amendment protects us from religious intrusion into our lives.

that's moronic.

People are free to base their political positions and votes on whatever they desire.

IF they choose to base it on their religious beliefs that is their right and not a violation of the 1st amendment.

If, as a society, we decide to not make choices based on God or the Christian Bible, the society has the right to do that...

I can't say what others argue, but, personally, I feel it would benefit the US to use Biblical principles - because I feel if we operate as a Godly Christian nation, it would be to our benefit.

That being said, I am not ignorant to "what is" - many people are passionate about what they feel is right, and it hurts them to see what the believe is the US going down the wrong path.

Our country would be much better off if we tried to understand each other and work with each other, instead of always trying to tear each other down and force agenda's down each others throats.

Everyone is running around calling each other stupid and bigots, and all that does is prove that we are.

why is it no one addresses matthew 25:40 or much of matthew....sometimes it does seem to non believers that you are cherry picking and just using the verses of the bible you want to use....i notice no one mentions when jesus says...he came only for the jews

Romans 1: 26-7 declares homosexual desires and actions to be shameful, unnatural, lustful, and indecent. I Corinthians 6:9 states that homosexuals are unrighteous and will not inherit the kingdom of God. Since both homosexual desires and actions are condemned in the Bible, it is clear that homosexuals “marrying” is not God’s will, and would be, in fact, sinful.
It's not about having an excuse to be bigoted. Saying that is just trying to put Christian's in a negative light and is a generalization.

There ARE bigoted people out there (Christian and non-Christian).
TRUE Christian's know God's way is the ONLY way, and more importantly the BEST (perfect) way.

Christianity is the only way? So the history of humanity before about 1800 years ago when Christianity was created was what? Everyone including your own ancestors is burning in hell?

Grow up and quit embarassing true believers and good people with your fucked up perspective.

... if you are not a Christian, or don't believe the Bible, why is it important to you to try to make it sound like God and/or the Bible is /does not condemn homosexuality?

If you don't believe, it should be irrelevant to you.

It is irrelevant to me.

You, Bonzi, are neither authorized nor qualified to determine and declare who is or is not a Christian.

Simple fact, my dear. You are over the bounds. Love your God, love your fellow neighbors, go about your business.

What the Bible says should be irrelevant, since the 1st amendment protects us from religious intrusion into our lives.
People are free to base their political positions and votes on whatever they desire. IF they choose to base it on their religious beliefs that is their right and not a violation of the 1st amendment.
It's a violation of the first amendment, if they use their religious positions to discriminate in the public arena, like commerce or marriage.

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.(Timothy 2: 11-12) - No woman President I guess...the bible's against it.

The New Testament has a handful of verses in support of slavery and indicating that a slave was not fully human...I wonder if I would be religiously persecuted if I started using the bible to support bringing back slavery.

What the Bible says should be irrelevant, since the 1st amendment protects us from religious intrusion into our lives.
People are free to base their political positions and votes on whatever they desire. IF they choose to base it on their religious beliefs that is their right and not a violation of the 1st amendment.
It's a violation of the first amendment, if they use their religious positions to discriminate in the public arena, like commerce or marriage.

What is the source of your moral codes that drives your political positions?

No, it isn't. It is a violation for the government to establish a religion - but a citizen can base their positions on anything they like. It's called the free exercise of religion.

Forum List

Back