Gas prices up, who's fault is it??

I'm against cutting taxes on fuel.

It pains me to pay it, of course, but I know that it is going to rebuilding the roads and bridges that I am using when I drive, so it is, in my world view, a reasonable user tax.

Yes, it is a reasonable and necessary user fee. As such, it should not go into the general fund, but be placed in a separate trust account, to be used for the construction and maintenance of transportation infrastructure only.

Of course, the government isn't much into trust accounts, but does like the general fund, which has become much like a black hole, sucking in everything that comes close, and not letting anything escape.

Some say it is because of Israelis war with the Palestinians. Others say it is because of the speculators on Wall Street.

If nobody really knows, then oil shouldn't be a traded commodity. For the fair market to work, I would think that transparency and reason need to be mandatory factors. With no reason, just speculation, their is no fairness.

Americans have still not learned their lesson from last summer as I see many of the gas guzzlers on the road again.

One thing for sure, the new Honda Accords with the auto trans and four banger SUCK gas like a Chevy Suburban (honestly, the Accord could be worse) around town. Honda is lying when it comes to the economy of this model.

The price of a barrel of oil has now dropped by more than $100 from its July high. A gallon of gasoline is now about $2 less than it was last summer; you played a role in making that happen. Your efforts — e-mails, letters and calls — to engage Congress in addressing the role that financial speculators had in the price shock, and the resulting groundswell of congressional interest in the gaps in regulating speculation, were a major force behind investors abandoning the speculation market, and the plummeting price of oil. We thought you would be interested in seeing a recent CBS 60 Minutes segment that confirms the role of unchecked oil speculation in the oil price run-up.

The Price Of Oil Video - CBSNews.com

yes it was the e-mails and letters that did it...not the fact that driving went down and suply of gas went up...that had nothing to do with it.

Shit, if all those e-mails did it then why aren't we drilling because over 75% of Americans want drilling here in the states.

yes it was the e-mails and letters that did it...not the fact that driving went down and suply of gas went up...that had nothing to do with it.

Shit, if all those e-mails did it then why aren't we drilling because over 75% of Americans want drilling here in the states.

1. No doubt you will not watch the 60 minute piece. Keep your head buried in the sand fool.

2. Sure supply and demand had to do....with about 10 cents a gallon difference. How did they come up with the other $2 a gallon extra you god damn fool?

3. Of course the oil barons will have a very slick reason why gas was $4. Most of us won't buy their lies, but enough of us (you) will that they'll get away with it.

4. The Democrats are going to look into this and determine how much was S&D and how much was gouging. Will you accept their findings? Of course not.

It was all S&D. And the bad economy is part the dems fault and part the gop's fault. Everyone has to share the blame. People who say these things don't know what happened to them the last 8 years. :cuckoo:

1. No doubt you will not watch the 60 minute piece. Keep your head buried in the sand fool.

2. Sure supply and demand had to do....with about 10 cents a gallon difference. How did they come up with the other $2 a gallon extra you god damn fool?

3. Of course the oil barons will have a very slick reason why gas was $4. Most of us won't buy their lies, but enough of us (you) will that they'll get away with it.

4. The Democrats are going to look into this and determine how much was S&D and how much was gouging. Will you accept their findings? Of course not.

It was all S&D. And the bad economy is part the dems fault and part the gop's fault. Everyone has to share the blame. People who say these things don't know what happened to them the last 8 years. :cuckoo:

1- rofl...60 minutes...are you fucking kidding me. THat left wing liberal show...I mean I know whya hack like you watches it...tell you what...I'll link you a video from Hannity I saw...you should watch it! ITS TOTALLY FAIR

2- Listen asshole, let me give you a brief 101 on how speculation works. Lets say you are a speculator...at that time..Gas use was very high, and the main suppliers...Saudi Arabia have been pumping more or less the same amount of oil for the past 25 years....your job is to SPECULATE the price of it in the future...you know we will be using more oil...Europe...and then China and India was having a HUGE DEMAND for it. So what would you speculate on? Price going up. Especially since there is no future supply about to be pumped cause the United States who has the biggest reserve in the fucking world refused to pump it. Then, econopmys tanked, people started driving less and less, airlines cut routes...supply of the fuel we had gradually increased...when we have a bigger supply guess what happens.....OMG THE DEMAND DECREASES and speculators suggest the price will go down at this rate. Wow, how difficult is that to comprehend

3- Yes, nobody but me buys the lies...explain to me again why over 75% of the country was a go for drilling and their "representatives" shot them down

4- Of course not...I beleive anything the democratic party says as far as I could throw Teddy Kennedy....tell you what when the repubs do thier study as well well you believe it?

I didn't think so...I believe what I actually see happens.....The country started using less and less oil and the price dropped, the economy tanking also made it drop.

Now once it rebounds it will go back up...which is why we still need to drill our own domestic supply

1- rofl...60 minutes...are you fucking kidding me. THat left wing liberal show...I mean I know whya hack like you watches it...tell you what...I'll link you a video from Hannity I saw...you should watch it! ITS TOTALLY FAIR

2- Listen asshole, let me give you a brief 101 on how speculation works. Lets say you are a speculator...at that time..Gas use was very high, and the main suppliers...Saudi Arabia have been pumping more or less the same amount of oil for the past 25 years....your job is to SPECULATE the price of it in the future...you know we will be using more oil...Europe...and then China and India was having a HUGE DEMAND for it. So what would you speculate on? Price going up. Especially since there is no future supply about to be pumped cause the United States who has the biggest reserve in the fucking world refused to pump it. Then, econopmys tanked, people started driving less and less, airlines cut routes...supply of the fuel we had gradually increased...when we have a bigger supply guess what happens.....OMG THE DEMAND DECREASES and speculators suggest the price will go down at this rate. Wow, how difficult is that to comprehend

3- Yes, nobody but me buys the lies...explain to me again why over 75% of the country was a go for drilling and their "representatives" shot them down

4- Of course not...I beleive anything the democratic party says as far as I could throw Teddy Kennedy....tell you what when the repubs do thier study as well well you believe it?

I didn't think so...I believe what I actually see happens.....The country started using less and less oil and the price dropped, the economy tanking also made it drop.

Now once it rebounds it will go back up...which is why we still need to drill our own domestic supply

1. I don't watch 60 minutes. Haven't in years. But you calling it a left wing media show is a fucking joke. How come they never ran a piece on impeaching Bush? Or how come they didn't tell us that he was lying us into a war? I'm so sick of you faggots coming back with that "60 minutes, air america, msnbc, cnn, npr are just left wing blabal.

Hey, I noticed something the other day. My liberal show Rachel Maddow on MSNBC has Pat Buchanan on. And she lets that fat fuck talk as much as he wants. How come O'Reilly & Hannity and Rush are the only fat fucks who ever talk on their shows?

So I don't know what you consider "liberal", but they aren't as "liberal" as your "conservative" spin propoganda shows are. Glen Beck coming soon to Fox. :cuckoo:

2. That's the Oil companies justification for oil prices going to $4. They are flat out wrong/false/lying/only telling half the story. We all know this. That's why they won't go back to $4. We'll fucking socialize the industry if they try it under the Dems watch. So all the $ you spent on gas was the GOP taking any tax breaks you got right away from you dip shit.

3. Of course at $4 a gallon people wanted to drill. The oil company can convince you to snuff out your own grandmother if it'll save you a buck.

4. We don't use that much less gas today than we did last year kid.

And let me teach you about supply and demand/free markets. The oil companies can/should charge you whatever they can get away with charging you. Does this sound familiar? This is what you Republican morons were telling us when gas was going up to $4. So you admit that it doesn't have to be S&D. They could just have decided that they wanted to see how much they could charge for gas. Nothing wrong with that in a free market, right?

So you are claiming that they would never do that.

Even though their profits went through the roof?

Do you even hear yourself? If it was only S&D, their profits would have stayed the same.

Clearly you are wrong. Speculation and gouging is why gas went to $4. That an a unregulated industry gone wild.

Geeze, Sealy....take a chill pill, and watch another Keith Oberman program. I know he will calm you down with his unbias look at politics.
PS....could you tell me where you saw where gouging was going on, except for a very few exceptions at individual gas stations,? Was it at the corporate level???? I really am interested in reading the info you forward along.....unless it's just a uneducated opinion.

Last edited:
Some say it is because of Israelis war with the Palestinians. Others say it is because of the speculators on Wall Street.

If nobody really knows, then oil shouldn't be a traded commodity. For the fair market to work, I would think that transparency and reason need to be mandatory factors. With no reason, just speculation, their is no fairness.

Americans have still not learned their lesson from last summer as I see many of the gas guzzlers on the road again.

One thing for sure, the new Honda Accords with the auto trans and four banger SUCK gas like a Chevy Suburban (honestly, the Accord could be worse) around town. Honda is lying when it comes to the economy of this model.

Your problem is you are looking for one reason, when in fact there are many many factors that play into it. If you are going to sit around looking for one specific reason, you are never going to find it.

At it's most basic level it was the law of supply and Demand, Price went up, demand went down. the price dropped, and people used more and the price went back up some. Not to mention we are at the hight of the winter heating season.

Has production been cut back?

The price of oil (it was down to $34 just a week or so ago) WAS TOO LOW...even for this feeble economy.

I expect, assuming the economy starts recovering, that the price of oil will rise to take advantage of the increasing demand.

Underpinning all the shinanigans (which I recognize do exist) there STILL IS the validity that the the laws of supply/demand impose on pricing.

Price is up due to a possible strike in some oil refinery in TX.. or some other concoction that the corporate board members dreamed up at Exxon, Shell.. or wherever..

Plus the execs must think of the shareholders... years of record profits might be followed by a drop in profits since the price of a barrell is under $50 for the last several weeks.. cant have that in Standard Oil land...

I also heard a butterly farted in the wind.. somewhere.. so that migh cause another drop in oil production to get the price of a barrel up where the executives and shareholders want it be... ohh sorry.. should be...

.. but it is outstanding how US drivers have cut their consumption in the last 12 -15 months to save whats left of the change in their wallet... and help drive down the price..

by the way.. who killed the electric car??

T Boone Pickens.. where you at??

Last edited:

maybe you should put some air in your tires

Bush got blamed every time the price went up so guess what? Now we can blame Obama. It is Obama's fault using the logic of his staunchest supporters.

Anybody in the car/tire industry and even the Nascar website knows that proper inflation of your tires can increase your MPG and save you money on gas and tire wear..

The stunt with the McPalin tire guages/BO energy plan made the GOP look like the political attention whores and propaganda joke their party has become..

Ask anyone who rides a streetbike how important tire inflation is.. for a variety of reasons...

Anybody in the car/tire industry and even the Nascar website knows that proper inflation of your tires can increase your MPG and save you money on gas and tire wear..

The stunt with the McPalin tire guages/BO energy plan made the GOP look like the political attention whores and propaganda joke their party has become..

Ask anyone who rides a streetbike how important tire inflation is.. for a variety of reasons...

Wolf, what you say is true, but with all do respect, Obama came off like this was the answer...not to say that is what he meant, but that is the perception that was taken.

Wolf, what you say is true, but with all do respect, Obama came off like this was the answer...not to say that is what he meant, but that is the perception that was taken.

That perception was taken by his opponents, expounded on at some length, then repeated over and over until I thought I would puke.

That perception was taken by his opponents, expounded on at some length, then repeated over and over until I thought I would puke.

Go ahead and puke....with or without you puking, that was the perception. Deal with that after you get done puking.

Go ahead and puke....with or without you puking, that was the perception. Deal with that after you get done puking.

It was a manufactured perception, much like the perception that Barack Hussain Obama was a Muslim, or that he was the Anti Christ, or a whole lot of other nonsense that was repeated over and over.

Now excuse me for a moment....

AKKKKK!!!! GAAAAAA! HAAAA! AIG....................

Ah, now I feel much better.

It was a manufactured perception, much like the perception that Barack Hussain Obama was a Muslim, or that he was the Anti Christ, or a whole lot of other nonsense that was repeated over and over.

Now excuse me for a moment....

AKKKKK!!!! GAAAAAA! HAAAA! AIG....................

Ah, now I feel much better.

I know what you mean about manufactured perception. The liberals were doing it to Bush over the last 8 years.

From what I recall BO stated that correct tire pressure would reduce our oil consumtion..

I dont recall anyone saying it would eliminate our need for foreign oil all together.. either way correct tire pressure saves you $$... and the whole episode was just a typical campaign stunt..

From what I recall BO stated that correct tire pressure would reduce our oil consumtion..

I dont recall anyone saying it would eliminate our need for foreign oil all together.. either way correct tire pressure saves you $$... and the whole episode was just a typical campaign stunt..

Wolf, like I said earlier, tire pressure does make a difference. But, is it up to our government to tell us how to live our lives?? If I want the tire pressure lower, isn't that my God given right in America?? If not, where is it going to stop? As far as I'm concerned the government has no right in this matter. What they do have a right to do,. is protect the constitution...not rewrite it.

Oil is up because the Saudis cut production moron. If world economies continue to plummet look for the price to fall yet again and then the Saudis willcut production again to try and stabilize the price.

Forum List

Back