Gas Prices May Decide Election After All

Most people that keep up on things would know that it's because they're switching over to a winter blend gas.....has nothing to do with Obama.

thats just here in California.....aint it?....

I thought it was all over....why would they change to a different blend of gas in california when the temperature/weather is the same almost all year long? And actually, i don't really understand why it makes this kind of affect on the gas prices :)

I'm not sure how it affects California directly, but across the country, many major metropolitan areas require special blends to help further reduce emissions which are worse during the summer. During the winter, as less people are driving, standards are not as high and those metropolitan areas can use the same blend as the rest of the country. The increased cost is due to having to refine so many different blends during the summer compared to only one or two during the winter months. It's cheaper and easier to do everything the same way.

As much as Republicans have tried blaming Obama for high gasoline prices, it would be quite ironic if it is the dropping gas prices that help put Obama over the top. By tomorrow, gas prices will plunge below the $3.00 mark in Toledo, and from everything I am reading, there is no end in site as prices are expected to continue on a downward spiral through Thanksgiving.

Toledo Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Ohio

Auditor you know damn well democrats blamed Bush for gas prices.,.....now watch em squeal...NOW the President cant control it.....which I agree.....but liberals are so dishonest it's unbelievable

It goes both ways. Everyone wants a scapegoat.

As much as Republicans have tried blaming Obama for high gasoline prices, it would be quite ironic if it is the dropping gas prices that help put Obama over the top. By tomorrow, gas prices will plunge below the $3.00 mark in Toledo, and from everything I am reading, there is no end in site as prices are expected to continue on a downward spiral through Thanksgiving.

Gee. Would that be happening right after Obama said on national television that gas prices go down when the economy crashes? LOLOL

Of course the President doesn't decide the gas prices.

However................try telling it to the rabid rw's who blame him everytime it goes over 4.00.

Umm..when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon in 2008 you guys blamed Bush.
What's good for the goose...
Oh, there is a difference here. Obama has made it very clear he is anti fossil fuel.
He vetoed the Keystone pipeline. He continues to side with the environmental groups that oppose any new exploration. He chased 33 deep water rigs out of the Gulf of Mexico FOREVER. Obama continues to defer to foreign oil interests in blocking domestic exploration and production.
So please, don't tell us the president cannot control or at least influence the price of energy.

However................try telling it to the rabid rw's who blame him everytime it goes over 4.00.

Umm..when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon in 2008 you guys blamed Bush.
What's good for the goose...
Oh, there is a difference here. Obama has made it very clear he is anti fossil fuel.
He vetoed the Keystone pipeline. He continues to side with the environmental groups that oppose any new exploration. He chased 33 deep water rigs out of the Gulf of Mexico FOREVER. Obama continues to defer to foreign oil interests in blocking domestic exploration and production.
So please, don't tell us the president cannot control or at least influence the price of energy.

Sorry, but I never blamed Bush for gas prices. But you are correct, many did as many have blamed Obama. This is why I say it would be ironic if this moves voters by one or two points, which is likely enough to give him a solid EC win. The thing is, you have to know that I am right, and this has to be a huge worry for Romney supporters.

Quick question...................if people (aka the rabid right) blame Obama for the high gas prices in the past, why can't they praise him for the drop in prices now?

Quick question...................if people (aka the rabid right) blame Obama for the high gas prices in the past, why can't they praise him for the drop in prices now?

No reason. No reason they can't credit Obama with killing Osama with his bare hands either.
The question is whether a 10 cent drop in gas prices will really make people think "Gee, Obama's not so bad after all. I think I'll vote for another 4 years of this shit."

oh geezus.....like the "rabid Left Wingers" didnt do the same when Georgy was king....

Why do self proclaimed intelligent people fall into a fit of deflection so readily? Does typing something that lame seem profound to you?

No reason. No reason they can't credit Obama with killing Osama with his bare hands either.
The question is whether a 10 cent drop in gas prices will really make people think "Gee, Obama's not so bad after all. I think I'll vote for another 4 years of this shit."

It wouldn't be a problem if you stupid fuckers on the right wing hadn't started the rumors that Obama controls the gas prices.

That's why you're gonna lose if the prices keep dropping.

Me personally? I think gas prices are at the whims of the oil companies, who keep posting record profits.

Thanksgiving is three weeks after the election. And Obama's energy policy has been non existent. That is, unless you count throwing billions to cronies for nothing. So, only an idiot would credit Obama with gas price drops.

As a matter of fact, we're not forgetting that the asshole has repeatedly advocated high gas prices and also hired an asshole energy secretary who sees matters that way.

The price of fuel is probably one of the stupidest reasons by itself to influence a vote, so it almost certainly will affect some.

Incumbants benefit when people aren't feeling stressed.

Conversely, a spike in gas prices during the run-up toward election hurts an incumbant.

I think that voting phemomena probably happens regardless of whether people think the POTUS has contol over pricing.

Last edited:
Most people that keep up on things would know that it's because they're switching over to a winter blend gas.....has nothing to do with Obama.

I thought it was all over....why would they change to a different blend of gas in california when the temperature/weather is the same almost all year long? And actually, i don't really understand why it makes this kind of affect on the gas prices :)

California requires a cleaner fuel year round due to higher environmental requirements thereby increasing refining costs. Some states relent during winter months when demand is lower but California does not. thats why when everyone else is paying 3.50 a gal our gas is 30-50 cents higher....

California requires a cleaner fuel year round due to higher environmental requirements thereby increasing refining costs. Some states relent during winter months when demand is lower but California does not. thats why when everyone else is paying 3.50 a gal our gas is 30-50 cents higher....

Cleaner fuel being a euphemism. It's not a damn bit cleaner. I live in Cali and they make me pay 60 bucks every two years to smog my car when they know damn well it's fine. I mean, if I come in at 1/10,000th of the allowable level; then I'm pretty f'ing sure it's an f'ing waste.

Wow Obama and crew sure did blame Bush for gas prices in 08 [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Oek6ZboAI]15 Times Obama & Democrats Blame Bush For Gas Prices - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back