Garden Hoses

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
I was bebopping around the net EARLY this morning..as usual, and stumbled across a webpage blog thingy where the people said they read the label on a new hose they were buying for their yard. Water hose. The label had a warning on it (hose was Black and Decker) that one should NOT drink water from the hose because it had chemicals in the rubber that could cause cancer and other ailments. They didn't buy it because it was to be used to water their veggie garden, to fill up the animals troughs, and their dogs loved playing and gulping the water from the hose.

Sorry I don't have the link, but I thought I would give a heads up to read labels on any garden hoses you may be considering buying.

LEAD no less.

I ran across these warnings a few years ago when I was shopping for a hose to water my horses with...and my reaction was the same. I've been drinking from hoses for 45 years! Holy crap!

The water that sits in the hose is the worst especially a black rubber hose, let you're hose run a while before using it for the things you care about.

There are nylon hoses that don't break down as easy.

• Banned
I had no clue. None whatsoever. Until I read that last night. Yes, lead was mentioned too. So how does one water their garden? Straight from the tap to a bucket to the garden and troughs?

I wonder what the stats are concerning cancer from, say, wagonwheel days and bucket watering versus nowadays with all this rubber/plastic stuff.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Flexon-Greenchoice-Lead-Free-Garden/dp/B004OOS8CU]Amazon.com: Flexon Greenchoice Lead Free 5/8" Garden Hose 50' Long: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

LEAD no less.

I ran across these warnings a few years ago when I was shopping for a hose to water my horses with...and my reaction was the same. I've been drinking from hoses for 45 years! Holy crap!
Thank you for admitting that. I always wondered what made you so stooopid.

:lol:

I was bebopping around the net EARLY this morning..as usual, and stumbled across a webpage blog thingy where the people said they read the label on a new hose they were buying for their yard. Water hose. The label had a warning on it (hose was Black and Decker) that one should NOT drink water from the hose because it had chemicals in the rubber that could cause cancer and other ailments. They didn't buy it because it was to be used to water their veggie garden, to fill up the animals troughs, and their dogs loved playing and gulping the water from the hose.

Sorry I don't have the link, but I thought I would give a heads up to read labels on any garden hoses you may be considering buying.

Im laughing.............freaks like Rolling and Rocks see that shit and its.............

shocked-man2.jpg

I had no clue. None whatsoever. Until I read that last night. Yes, lead was mentioned too. So how does one water their garden? Straight from the tap to a bucket to the garden and troughs?

I wonder what the stats are concerning cancer from, say, wagonwheel days and bucket watering versus nowadays with all this rubber/plastic stuff.

A rain barrel is a great way to water your outside things. You can buy one or make one . . directions are all over on the net. Having said that, no we haven't gotten around to this quite yet. Maybe this year will be the year we do! I do think it's a great idea . . . although I wonder wouldn't mosquitoes make their way into it? Hmmm . . . . .

A rain barrel is a great way to water your outside things. You can buy one or make one . . directions are all over on the net. Having said that, no we haven't gotten around to this quite yet. Maybe this year will be the year we do! I do think it's a great idea . . . although I wonder wouldn't mosquitoes make their way into it? Hmmm . . . . .

Netting? Like one for over ones bed, but instead over the water rain barrel? We don't get nearly as much rain here. I wonder how they do it in Hana (Maui)? That place is always wet and they rely on rain for their water supply. Might wanna read up on that? I will too!

Go to Walmart's camping and boating section and buy a hose for boat or RV water supply. I have a 25 footer. I think it cost me 15 bucks. The 75 foot hose I use for the garden etc, has a warning but I allow the water to run a while before I use it, generally because the water in the hose heats up to a scalding temperature in the black hose.

Flush the hose every time before you use it for consumption water (which is rather nasty) and a good idea even if you aren't using the cheap, rinky dink PvC hoses, and you, your animals, and your gardens should be fine.

Forum List

Back