Gallup Poll: 52% of Republicans Want Third Party

More than half of Republicans – 52 percent – say there should be a third political party, a new Gallup Poll says. The poll, released Monday, also found that 33 percent of Democrats want a third party. Gallup said it’s the first time its polls have found a significantly larger number of Republicans than Democrats favoring a third party.

That would be a dream come true. I continue to have hope that it will happen one day, but one of the big problems is the Electoral College. Ross Perot, for example, got 19% of the popular vote in 1992 and zero Electoral votes. That's just sad. And, of course, most Americans seem to be programmed to vote for the 'lesser of two evils' which makes America look stupid.
like wonky pundint, the political noob

:lol: It took me a few seconds to get that! Yes, our resident Leftist Wacko called 'Wonky Pundit' who believes that if you didn't vote for Obama or McCain in the last Presidential election, you didn't vote and it was better to vote for Obama because he was the 'lesser of two evils'. :lol: I am so glad he's got me on ignore.

That would be a dream come true. I continue to have hope that it will happen one day, but one of the big problems is the Electoral College. Ross Perot, for example, got 19% of the popular vote in 1992 and zero Electoral votes. That's just sad. And, of course, most Americans seem to be programmed to vote for the 'lesser of two evils' which makes America look stupid.
like wonky pundint, the political noob

:lol: It took me a few seconds to get that! Yes, our resident Leftist Wacko called 'Wonky Pundit' who believes that if you didn't vote for Obama or McCain in the last Presidential election, you didn't vote and it was better to vote for Obama because he was the 'lesser of two evils'. :lol: I am so glad he's got me on ignore.

me too. although I'll still overpost his stuff. I may even go join his board and troll him there lol

More than half of Republicans – 52 percent – say there should be a third political party, a new Gallup Poll says. The poll, released Monday, also found that 33 percent of Democrats want a third party. Gallup said it’s the first time its polls have found a significantly larger number of Republicans than Democrats favoring a third party.

That would guarantee an Obama re-election.

It doesn't matter. The corporate Medea will tell us who to vote for and we will. That is how we got Obama.

Actually, it isn't. But I wouldn't expect anyone who is waiting on the media to tell them who to vote for to understand that.

It doesn't matter. The corporate Medea will tell us who to vote for and we will. That is how we got Obama.

Actually, it isn't. But I wouldn't expect anyone who is waiting on the media to tell them who to vote for to understand that.

Actually.....that's how we got McCain AND Obama.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to vote, all it takes is a gullible person who would rather have someone else do their thinking for them.

Oh really?
Who was the Constitution Party candidate?
Who was the Green Party candidate?
Who was the Libertarian Party candidate?

Get rid of the electoral college and Wy. has ZERO representation at the ballot box. I guess the word "disfranchise" would be okay at that point in time, huh?

Like I said.....the needs of a person in Wy. is far different than the needs of a person in NY.

As long as we're in agreement that a person in Wyoming is better represented than 2 New Yorkers than all is well, that was my whole original point.

I never said it was perfect....but it is better than a popular vote method. At least, every state has some representation. Wy. has 3, Ca. has 55, and NY has 31. Yes it seems very fair to me.

I do like the electoral college, but there's 1 major flaw with it is that while different states have different needs is 100% true-I would argue different sections of the states have different needs-even among the state.

In my state for example Northern Florida is totally different from South Florida, yet their vote goes to the same section.

I think this is a very fixable solution: if states adopt what Nebraska (and I think Maine?) do. Each district has 1 electoral vote-and whoever wins the popular vote in that district gets that one district's electoral vote. Then whoever gets the popular vote from the state as a whole, get the 2 bonus electoral votes (which comes from the automatic 2 each state gets for it's senators).

So it's not totally getting rid of the electoral college-and I would argue does a better job than the current system, for the reasons why it was set up.

Okay, so you all want a third party. You also want to dispose of the Electoral College. I have no problem with either. However, are you going to call for wholesale changes to the election process? By removing the electoral college, we would likely face many elections where no candidate receives a majority of votes. As it stands now, if no candidate receives a majority of Electoral College votes, then the HOR determines who becomes President, but they must choose one of the top three. Would you support that we continue with this system, but just go with the popular vote instead of the Electoral College? Or would you want a runoff between the two with the highest vote totals? Had this been the case in 92, Bush Sr. may well have won a runoff against Clinton.

You're right about that Auditor.

We need to do more than just tinker with the whole damned system of elections.

Starting from campaign funding and right down to how we tally votes.

Of course every system devised can and will be gamed.

But what we have now is, in my opinion, just a nightmare.

AND IT DOESN'T STOP THERE, EITHER.

I also think we ought to rethink the structure of our legislative, judical and executive, too.

And politically, TWO BIG POLTICAL TENTS political system we have doesn't work very well, either.

I doubt that most Republicans or Democrats are really satisifed with their respective parties, either (trolls on this board, excepted, of course).

The system we have now may have worked fine in the 18th and 19th centuries (although I have my doubt about that, too) but is sure as hell isn't working in our 21st century world.

I want a second party.

Of course, we could solve all this by having a runoff system, whereby you'd have several "playoff" elections leading up to the November general, for all the Electoral College cheese....Nothing in the Constitution prohibiting that.

Contrary to what some believe the TP is not a 3rd party.

Fiscal conservative republicans and anti-war democrats have been completely disenfranchised by their parties. Their strategy though has been to vote for the less smelly of 2 shit piles, I think it's time for a new strategy.

I hate to break it to people, but we've had more than 2 parties for a looooooong time. The issue you run into is that those 52% of Repubs and the 33% of Dems can't agree on what kind of party they would want to form. There is already a whole variety to pick from and no one seems to be running to them.

All the above posts are reasons why its both a good idea but also impossible to become a reality. Because the Dems and the Reps have made it their business to demonize the other side, the average saps in each (read the actual voters/individuals) have fallen for that as such will NEVER want align themselves with "the other side." Therefore things will remain the same.

Why do you think there is such stock put into the partisan divide, HateWing Radio, FAUXNoise, etc. These are all the things that keep things EXACTLY. THE. SAME.

If we can learn to play together, we may have a chance, but as the radical posters on this very board shows...its not possible. Folk are brainwashed.

Oh yeah...the current Tea Party is a joke...a far cry from what it started out as, or was during Bush II's regime.

I want a second party.

Of course, we could solve all this by having a runoff system, whereby you'd have several "playoff" elections leading up to the November general, for all the Electoral College cheese....Nothing in the Constitution prohibiting that.

I'll second this. But can you get the States to play along?
Hell, it's difficult enough to get most of them to recognize what a shit deal the 17th Amendment has been for them...But one can always have their reveries. :lol:

Of course, because republicans are split...

That doesn't mean we don't have common ground.

I want a second party.

I'll second this. But can you get the States to play along?
Hell, it's difficult enough to get most of them to recognize what a shit deal the 17th Amendment has been for them...But one can always have their reveries. :lol:

Aboslutely. I'd like to see a revisit to the 9th, and 10th by the repeal of the 17th. Looks like a few States as Texas, Florida, Arizona are telling the imperial FED to go pound sand...who knows? A strong case could be made...

Obama's re-election hinges on two points.

1. How bad he fucks up the economy (or lets others do it on his watch)

2. How bad a choice the GOP leadership makes in their presidential candidate.

If the GOP picks a bad candidate, (Huckabee, Romney, McCain types) the Tea Party will abandon them in droves. This benefits Obama massively. That being said, if we are looking at the predicted 10 dollar loaf of bread and 8 dollar a gallon gas with retirement funds going up in flames and inflation surpassing that of the 1970's... The third party candidate could win in those circumstances, or the split will not happen because even a Huckabee, Romney or McCain... hell even TRUMP would be better and they'll hold their nose for this election and pull the lever.

On the other hand, you can guarantee this would be the end of the GOP as we know it as big money will start leaving the GOP and finding a 3rd party. People are too polarized right now to just casually forget so soon. That stuff pretty much ended in 2010.

Could Obama screw up the economy worse that what Republicans have done?

If the GOP picks a bad candidate, (Huckabee, Romney, McCain types) the Tea Party will abandon them in droves. This benefits Obama massively. That being said, if we are looking at the predicted 10 dollar loaf of bread and 8 dollar a gallon gas with retirement funds going up in flames and inflation surpassing that of the 1970's... The third party candidate could win in those circumstances, or the split will not happen because even a Huckabee, Romney or McCain... hell even TRUMP would be better and they'll hold their nose for this election and pull the lever.

On the other hand, you can guarantee this would be the end of the GOP as we know it as big money will start leaving the GOP and finding a 3rd party. People are too polarized right now to just casually forget so soon. That stuff pretty much ended in 2010.

NAH he only helped TRIPLE IT with the Help of Statist Democrats across the board...

The question was scientifically formulated by experts to glean a provocative answer. It's what pollsters do if they want to keep their lucrative contracts. I bet you your next paycheck if a telephone pollster flat out asked you "do you favor a 3rd party" you would probably say no but if they said "In your view do the Republicans and Democrat parties do an adequite job in representing the American people or do they do such a poor job that a 3rd party is needed"? Your likely answer in this case might be "damned right, those bastards do do a poor job". See the difference? The latter is the actual question. Now for the conclusion. Further down the Gallup poll results site is the bland claim that 61% of self described liberals favor a 3rd party and 60% of moderates and only 52% of conservatives favor a 3rd party. So, based on the results I could honestly say a shocking 60% of liberals are dissatisfied with the democrat party but that wouldn't be the news that the liberal media wants to promote.

The question was scientifically formulated by experts to glean a provocative answer. It's what pollsters do if they want to keep their lucrative contracts. I bet you your next paycheck if a telephone pollster flat out asked you "do you favor a 3rd party" you would probably say no but if they said "In your view do the Republicans and Democrat parties do an adequite job in representing the American people or do they do such a poor job that a 3rd party is needed"? Your likely answer in this case might be "damned right, those bastards do do a poor job". See the difference? The latter is the actual question. Now for the conclusion. Further down the Gallup poll results site is the bland claim that 61% of self described liberals favor a 3rd party and 60% of moderates and only 52% of conservatives favor a 3rd party. So, based on the results I could honestly say a shocking 60% of liberals are dissatisfied with the democrat party but that wouldn't be the news that the liberal media wants to promote.

Liberals pretty much have a third party now. It's called the Democratic Party. Because it's a "coalition" party made up of minorities. Not just by race, but also social minorities, like gays and feminists, and college professors and scientists and atheists. This includes people from all parts of the spectrum, rich, poor, educated, uneducated and so on - and even some conservatives.

Republicans, on the other hand, is the party most likely to "split". The party is 90% white and mostly Christian. They have driven away most of their "intellectuals" who they mockingly refer to as "elitists". PEW research demonstrates the sad fact that only a minuscule 6% of scientists will admit to being Republican (Republicans insist there must be more, then turn around as say the most outrageous nonsense about scientists).

Now, you have this enormous number of the Right Wing who have been fed this "trickle down" nonsense for so many years, they believe the only reason it hasn't worked is because their leadership is incompetent. At least we can agree on something.

And the thing about "trickle down" is that if you describe it "out loud" for every one to hear, they laugh.

Let's make a tiny portion of the population so rich, that when they spend, it supports the entire economy. The right will also make the case that if you take 100% of the income of the wealthiest, it won't be enough to run the economy. Obviously, if 100% of their income won't do it, then neither will "Trickle down". But try to explain that to Republicans.

The truth is, the Republicans are two parties now. There is the Conservative Republican Party that is owned by the super rich and corporations and there is the Teabirther Party, the fruit of failed Republican Policies and what's left of their failed social agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:

The -obvious- answer is yes.

Forum List

Back