Future Global Water Shortage.

No chance, I live up in the mountains, we have constant water run off year round.

But with the advent of global warming, that water runoff will all be melted away.You will be high and dry in a few years.

Not permanent snow, I'm just at the top of the water chain. I say let the ice sheet melting begin.

Haven't you heard, the so called permanent snow is melting off of Mount Everest.!
Do the research if you feel that I am not correct.There is not going to be any such thing as permanent snow.

The biggest issue I have with these type of predictions is every time scientists conduct mainly environmental studies a small group of them start promoting the Chicken Little Effect to affect their desired changes. When the dire predictions don't play out the general populace begins to view the next set of dire predictions with skepticism and eventually annoyed apathy.
It become analogous to the nut case on the corner wearing a "the world is ending" placard.

These are not dire predictions, these are events happening right now.

FT.com / Asia-Pacific - Himalayan glaciers melting fast, says Nepal

The consequences of depleted glaciers would be dire. Seven of the world's greatest rivers, including the Ganges, Indus and Mekong, are fed by the glaciers of the Himalayas and Tibet. They supply water to about 40 per cent of the world's population.

“The impacts of climate change on the Himalayas - the water tower of South Asia - are already affecting the lives of millions of people across south Asia,” said Kunio Senga, the director-general of the Asian Development Bank’s south Asia unit. “Droughts, floods and landslides are increasing in frequency and intensity.”

Water supply is likely to become an increasing priority for both India and China as they seek to maintain high economic growth rates and sustain large populations dependent on farming.

The consequences of depleted glaciers would be dire. Seven of the world's greatest rivers, including the Ganges, Indus and Mekong, are fed by the glaciers of the Himalayas and Tibet. They supply water to about 40 per cent of the world's population.

“The impacts of climate change on the Himalayas - the water tower of South Asia - are already affecting the lives of millions of people across south Asia,” said Kunio Senga, the director-general of the Asian Development Bank’s south Asia unit. “Droughts, floods and landslides are increasing in frequency and intensity.”

Water supply is likely to become an increasing priority for both India and China as they seek to maintain high economic growth rates and sustain large populations dependent on farming.

Imagine China demanding immediate payback of our loans in drinking water...every drop.

not my problem if other countries are having a water shortage problems let them buy it like this country buys energy. And if you have a shortage move or build a desaltation plant!!!! I live near the largest sources of water in the world call mayor Daley he'll sell you some water he's out of money he has sold off everything else in Chicago!!!

another bull shit problem created to get more money in taxes or another way to take more fredoms away from us and to control the way we live!!!!

You missed the point. It wasn't specifically about what is happening now, it was concerning the reaction of people who have been exposed to alarmist scientists over many decades. Duh.
Different groups of scientists over the decades have been running around crying the sky is falling, the sky is falling. Is it any wonder many people tend to no longer believe them.
I believe it's all cyclical with a demographic caveat. The vastly greater numbers of people in the world today will be more intensely impacted in a multitude of detrimental ways.

Last edited:
I'm wondering where the water went. Did life from a yet to be discovered earth like planet come and siphon it off in the dead of night?

So, are people arguing that water is actually disapearing? Where is it going? Are the Martians taking it? The Klingons?

The primary cause of Global Warming is Water Vapor.

So we'll be ok.....just ask Al Gore.

Water vapor is a feedback effect of CO2. Water vapor only has a residence time in the atmosphere of less than 10 days. CO2 has a residence time of a couple of centuries.

Were you to remove all the water from the atmosphere, in less than 10 days, we would have the same amount in the atmosphere again. Were you to double the amount of water vapor, the same thing, in ten days, you have about the same amount of water in the atmosphere.

Now remove all the CO2 from the atmosphere, in the space of a decade, you will have continental glaciers marching toward the equator. It has happened in the geological past. Look up snowball Earth on google. Now double the CO2 in the atmosphere, and the amount that it warms the atmosphere will be amplified by the increased amount of water vapor that the atmosphere now can hold. And that does not even address the other feedback effects that we are now observing from only a 40% increase.

CO2 lags temperature - what does it mean?

Joe Barton to Al Gore: "An article from Science magazine explains a rise in CO2 concentrations actually lagged temperature by 200 to 1000 years. CO2 levels went up after the temperature rose. Temperature appears to drive CO2, not vice versa." (Source: Office of Congressman Joe Barton)

What the science says...
CO2 causes temperature rise AND warming causes CO2 outgassing from oceans. This feedback system is confirmed by the CO2 record - in the past, the amplifying effect of CO2 feedback enabled warming to spread across the globe and take the planet out of the ice age.

Does temperature rise cause CO2 rise or the other way around? A common misconception is that you can only have one or the other. In actuality, the answer is both.

Milankovitch cycles - how increased temperature causes CO2 rise

Looking over past climate change, scientists have observed a cycle of ice ages separated by brief warm periods called interglacials. This pattern is due to Milankovitch cycles - gradual, regular changes in the earth's orbit and axis. While there are several different cycles, the dominant climate signal is the 100,000 year eccentricity cycle as the Earth's orbit changes from a more circular to a more elliptical orbit (Petit 1999, Shackleton 2000).

The eccentricity cycle causes changes in insolation (incoming sunlight). When springtime insolation increases in the southern hemisphere, this coincides with rising temperatures in the south, retreating Antarctic sea ice and melting glaciers in the southern hemisphere (Shemesh 2002). As temperature rises, CO2 also rises but lags the warming by 800 to 1000 years (Monnin 2001, Caillon 2003, Stott 2007).

I'm wondering where the water went. Did life from a yet to be discovered earth like planet come and siphon it off in the dead of night?

Did aliens siphon off all of your gray matter?

nsf.gov - National Science Foundation (NSF) News - Glaciers and Ice Caps to Dominate Sea Level Rise Through 21st Century - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

July 19, 2007

Ice loss from glaciers and ice caps is expected to cause more global sea rise during this century than the massive Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, according to a new University of Colorado at Boulder study.

The researcher, primarily funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and NASA, concluded that glaciers and ice caps are currently contributing about 60 percent of the world's ice to the oceans and the rate has been markedly accelerating in the past decade, said Emeritus Professor Mark Meier of CU-Boulder's Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, lead study author. The contribution is presently about 100 cubic miles of ice annually -- a volume nearly equal to the water in Lake Erie -- and is rising by about three cubic miles per year.

In contrast, the CU-Boulder team estimated Greenland is now contributing about 28 percent of the total global sea rise from ice loss and Antarctica is contributing about 12 percent. Greenland is not expected to catch up to glaciers and ice caps in terms of sea level rise contributions until the end of the century, according to the study.

Toro, if you had told me 20 years ago that bottled water would be a billion dollar business, I would have said that you were nuts.

Oppertunities in water. I would have to say, go to the source. Many Southwestern cities are paying ranchers and farmers for their water rights concerning existing wells. Seems there might be an oppertunity there. But, of course, there also might be an emminent domain problem, also. That is always a problem dealing with governments.

Equipment, well drilling companies, and de-salinization equipment might be of interest. Perhaps a combination of an offshore wind farm and desalinization plant might be a major project.

No chance, I live up in the mountains, we have constant water run off year round.

But with the advent of global warming, that water runoff will all be melted away.You will be high and dry in a few years.

Not permanent snow, I'm just at the top of the water chain. I say let the ice sheet melting begin.

Sorry, but if Al Gore is right there is no permanent snow-cap anymore. If the Artic is melting let me assure you stuff further south will melt even sooner.....unless the whole Global Warming thing is a hoax.

Really, Al Gore just put into layman's terms what the scientists were telling him.

And the snows are melting further south. The Cascadian glaciers are now much smaller than they were when I first started hiking those mountains in the 60's.

The melt off of the snow and glaciers has, in the past, been our source of water for agriculture in the summer months in the West. As that melt occurs sooner, and for some areas, there is less to melt, the yeild of the crops becomes less for the area.

In some areas, the response has been to drill, and the aquifers are being drained at a far greater rate than they are being replenished.

Yes, a place at the top of the water system is an advantage, but even there you had better plan for storage.

Really, Al Gore just put into layman's terms what the scientists were telling him.

And the snows are melting further south. The Cascadian glaciers are now much smaller than they were when I first started hiking those mountains in the 60's.

The melt off of the snow and glaciers has, in the past, been our source of water for agriculture in the summer months in the West. As that melt occurs sooner, and for some areas, there is less to melt, the yeild of the crops becomes less for the area.

In some areas, the response has been to drill, and the aquifers are being drained at a far greater rate than they are being replenished.

Yes, a place at the top of the water system is an advantage, but even there you had better plan for storage.

None of this has anything to do with Global Warming.

The Icecaps at the South Pole are increasing. This has more to do with climate changes then Global Warming.

The Icecaps at the South Pole are increasing. This has more to do with climate changes then Global Warming.

No, you are completely wrong, the Antarctic Ice Cap is losing billions of tons of ice yearly, at an accelerating rate.

NASA - Antarctic Ice Loss Speeds Up, Nearly Matches Greenland Loss

Antarctic Ice Loss Speeds Up, Nearly Matches Greenland Loss01.23.08 Antarctic ice loss between 1996 and 2006, overlaid on a Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) mosaic image of Antarctica. The colors indicate the speed of the ice loss. Purple/red is fast. Green is slow. Image credit: NASA
› Larger view PASADENA, Calif. - Ice loss in Antarctica increased by 75 percent in the last 10 years due to a speed-up in the flow of its glaciers and is now nearly as great as that observed in Greenland, according to a new, comprehensive study by NASA and university scientists.

In a first-of-its-kind study, an international team led by Eric Rignot of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., and the University of California, Irvine, estimated changes in Antarctica's ice mass between 1996 and 2006 and mapped patterns of ice loss on a glacier-by-glacier basis. They detected a sharp jump in Antarctica's ice loss, from enough ice to raise global sea level by 0.3 millimeters (.01 inches) a year in 1996, to 0.5 millimeters (.02 inches) a year in 2006.

Rignot said the losses, which were primarily concentrated in West Antarctica's Pine Island Bay sector and the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, are caused by ongoing and past acceleration of glaciers into the sea. This is mostly a result of warmer ocean waters, which bathe the buttressing floating sections of glaciers, causing them to thin or collapse. "Changes in Antarctic glacier flow are having a significant, if not dominant, impact on the mass balance of the Antarctic ice sheet," he said.

Ok, can someone please tell me? Why should I give a fuck if the ice caps melt and the sea rises several feet?

No, you are completely wrong, the Antarctic Ice Cap is losing billions of tons of ice yearly, at an accelerating rate.

NASA - Antarctic Ice Loss Speeds Up, Nearly Matches Greenland Loss

Antarctic Ice Loss Speeds Up, Nearly Matches Greenland Loss01.23.08 Antarctic ice loss between 1996 and 2006, overlaid on a Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) mosaic image of Antarctica. The colors indicate the speed of the ice loss. Purple/red is fast. Green is slow. Image credit: NASA
› Larger view PASADENA, Calif. - Ice loss in Antarctica increased by 75 percent in the last 10 years due to a speed-up in the flow of its glaciers and is now nearly as great as that observed in Greenland, according to a new, comprehensive study by NASA and university scientists.

In a first-of-its-kind study, an international team led by Eric Rignot of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., and the University of California, Irvine, estimated changes in Antarctica's ice mass between 1996 and 2006 and mapped patterns of ice loss on a glacier-by-glacier basis. They detected a sharp jump in Antarctica's ice loss, from enough ice to raise global sea level by 0.3 millimeters (.01 inches) a year in 1996, to 0.5 millimeters (.02 inches) a year in 2006.

Rignot said the losses, which were primarily concentrated in West Antarctica's Pine Island Bay sector and the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, are caused by ongoing and past acceleration of glaciers into the sea. This is mostly a result of warmer ocean waters, which bathe the buttressing floating sections of glaciers, causing them to thin or collapse. "Changes in Antarctic glacier flow are having a significant, if not dominant, impact on the mass balance of the Antarctic ice sheet," he said.

Check the date on the report and when they gathered the information.

The report is almost 2 years old and the date the data was collected ends in 2006.

More recent trends point to a reversal of these findings.

This is called a cycle or climate shift of which you base your beliefs on which are over 3 years old.

Let's not forget about the extremely hot years during the Middle Ages. Progressives never want the average person to find out about that period.

I also noted that the report originated out of Pasadena California. Boy, that's a very important office for NASA. I thought NASA was located in Houston TX and in Pensacola FL or thereabouts. So the California Institute of Technology is a very reliable source. Caltech is responsible for several famous pranks. I wouldn't be surprised if this melting ice story is one of them as well.

Forum List

Back