Funds run low for health insurance in state ‘high-risk pools’

Ummmm, I told you so.

So did Congress.

42 USC § 18001 - Immediate access to insurance for uninsured individuals with a preexisting condition
(g) Funding; termination of authority
(1) In general

There is appropriated to the Secretary, out of any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $5,000,000,000 to pay claims against (and the administrative costs of) the high risk pool under this section that are in excess of the amount of premiums collected from eligible individuals enrolled in the high risk pool. Such funds shall be available without fiscal year limitation.

(2) Insufficient funds
If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for the payment of the expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the actual amount of such expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit.

(3) Termination of authority
(A) In general
Except as provided in subparagraph (B), coverage of eligible individuals under a high risk pool in a State shall terminate on January 1, 2014.
(B) Transition to Exchange
The Secretary shall develop procedures to provide for the transition of eligible individuals enrolled in health insurance coverage offered through a high risk pool established under this section into qualified health plans offered through an Exchange. Such procedures shall ensure that there is no lapse in coverage with respect to the individual and may extend coverage after the termination of the risk pool involved, if the Secretary determines necessary to avoid such a lapse.​

(4) Limitations
The Secretary has the authority to stop taking applications for participation in the program under this section to comply with the funding limitation provided for in paragraph (1).

$5 billion, available from 2010 until the end of this year (when the pools are scheduled to shut down), with the expectation that if that money runs low enrollment will be frozen. And here we are.

• Banned
Reality sucks....I don't remember who said this "The problem with spending other people's money is that it always runs out"...or something like that.

Here in Nebraska many agent appointments have been terminated by the insurance companies..Obamacare is working perfectly, it is driving us toward the Single Payor System that Obama is on record as saying what he ultimately wants.

Ummmm, I told you so.

So did Congress.

42 USC § 18001 - Immediate access to insurance for uninsured individuals with a preexisting condition
(g) Funding; termination of authority
(1) In general

There is appropriated to the Secretary, out of any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $5,000,000,000 to pay claims against (and the administrative costs of) the high risk pool under this section that are in excess of the amount of premiums collected from eligible individuals enrolled in the high risk pool. Such funds shall be available without fiscal year limitation.

(2) Insufficient funds
If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for the payment of the expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the actual amount of such expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit.

(3) Termination of authority
(A) In general
Except as provided in subparagraph (B), coverage of eligible individuals under a high risk pool in a State shall terminate on January 1, 2014.
(B) Transition to Exchange
The Secretary shall develop procedures to provide for the transition of eligible individuals enrolled in health insurance coverage offered through a high risk pool established under this section into qualified health plans offered through an Exchange. Such procedures shall ensure that there is no lapse in coverage with respect to the individual and may extend coverage after the termination of the risk pool involved, if the Secretary determines necessary to avoid such a lapse.​

(4) Limitations
The Secretary has the authority to stop taking applications for participation in the program under this section to comply with the funding limitation provided for in paragraph (1).

$5 billion, available from 2010 until the end of this year (when the pools are scheduled to shut down), with the expectation that if that money runs low enrollment will be frozen. And here we are.

Tens of thousands of Americans who cannot get health insurance because of preexisting medical problems will be blocked from a program designed to help them because funding is running low.

Money runs low for health insurance in state high-risk pools - The Washington Post

Ummmm, I told you so.

Not good.

About 129 million people nationwide have a medical condition or prior illness that would make it hard for them to buy their own insurance plan.
And per the article aprox 4000 new cases try to enroll each month.

I have heard of this happening in NM too recently. A friend of mine's partner works for a facility that had gone through having to turn away clients with dropped coverage and most of them are elderly with minimal income...and need some pretty pricey percriptions filled every month.

Reality sucks....I don't remember who said this "The problem with spending other people's money is that it always runs out"...or something like that.

Here in Nebraska many agent appointments have been terminated by the insurance companies..Obamacare is working perfectly, it is driving us toward the Single Payor System that Obama is on record as saying what he ultimately wants.

Centralized, corporatist control over all our basic needs. The welfare/warfare machine rolls on.

I imagine single-payer would still be a tough sell in Congress.

About 129 million people nationwide have a medical condition or prior illness that would make it hard for them to buy their own insurance plan.

I have heard of this happening in NM too recently. A friend of mine's partner works for a facility that had gone through having to turn away clients with dropped coverage and most of them are elderly with minimal income...and need some pretty pricey percriptions filled every month.

That's why, starting in October, people will be able to shop for health insurance plans without fear of being turned away.

That's why, starting in October, people will be able to shop for health insurance plans without fear of being turned away.

And? Many of them will be without coverage for nearly a year.

Without even being allowed to turn away, in fact.

• Banned
Yet it will happen....c'mon Doc...think about it...will it have to be "sold" to them?

Will it?

I actually feel bad for you true believers of either side.
You've all been duped (to borrow a franco line).

I'll lay it out for you.

You mandate coverages.
You mandate gurantee issue.
You legislate what ALL companies charge for the same coverages.
You mandate that 80 cents of EVERY dollar health care companies take in go for "claims".

Even the least intellectually gifted should be able to follow that trail.

It won't have to be "sold", there will be no private companies kids, it will be the last resort everyone is screaming for.

The only one I don't feel sorry for is ole greenteeth, HE pretends to be the smartest guy in the room ;)

It won't have to be "sold", there will be no private companies kids, it will be the last resort everyone is screaming for.

HealthConnector: Health Insurance for Massachusetts Residents.

Lots of private plans available there (some of the best available anywhere in the country, in fact, according to Consumer Reports). Massachusetts is going into Year Six of these reforms: when can we expect these plans to go out of business and be replaced by single-payer?

Should be an excellent indicator of when we can expect that to happen in every other state!

Ole Greenteeth has never run a bidness ;)

HealthConnector: Health Insurance for Massachusetts Residents.

Lots of private plans available there (some of the best available anywhere in the country, in fact, according to Consumer Reports). Massachusetts is going into Year Six of these reforms: when can we expect these plans to go out of business and be replaced by single-payer?

Should be an excellent indicator of when we can expect that to happen in every other state!

Forum List

Back