'Full Metal Jacket' actor Gunny R. Lee Ermey Dies

Steve_McGarrett

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2013
Loved him on 'Mail Call'. He was one hell of a Second Amendment and NRA advocate.

AJLlDp1bi3t4Liwn6FwWT7uExn20ASc2EcG0u_0xoA=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

R. Lee Ermey, ‘Full Metal Jacket’ Golden Globe Nominee, Dies at 74

Last edited:
R. Lee Ermey, Golden Globe Nominee for 'Full Metal Jacket,' Dies at 74

He will be missed.

A tribute to Gunny Ermey:

"Who's the communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant?"

"What's your excuse?"
"Sir, excuse for what, sir?"
"I'm asking the fucking questions around here maggot. You understand that?"
"Sir, yes sir."
"Well, thank you very much. Can I be in charge for awhile?"

"Are you a peter puffer? Bullshit, I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose."

My brother just texted me about this a minute before I saw this thread. Full Metal Jacket was a classic. He also didn't take himself too seriously, playing a gay gym coach in Saving Silverman. :D

"I'll bet the best part of you ran down the crack of your mama's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress. I think you've been cheated."

"Did your parent have any children who lived?"
"Sir, yes sir."
"Well, I bet they regretted that. You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece. What's your name, fat boy."
"Sir, Private Lawrence, sir."
"Lawrence what? Of Arabia? Bullshit, from now on you're Private Pyle."

Update!

Statement from R. Lee Ermey's long time manager, Bill Rogin:

It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us.

Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

Interesting!

Ermey, who was an NRA board member, said at the time that his association with the organization and his disapproval of President Obama cost him acting jobs.

“Do you realize I have not done a movie in five to six years? Why? Because I was totally blackballed by the ... liberals in Hollywood,” he alleged. “They can destroy you. They’re hateful people [who] don’t just not like you, they want to take away your livelihood ... that’s why I live up in the desert on a dirt road ... I don’t have to put up with their crap.”

Full metal jacket was one helluva good movie.....his kind will be greatly missed

Here's the full official statement on his death:

Statement from R. Lee Ermey's long time manager, Bill Rogin:

It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. It is a terrible loss that nobody was prepared for. He has meant so much to so many people. And, it is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and women in uniform. He has also contributed many iconic and indelible characters on film that will live on forever. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket fame was a hard and principled man. The real R. Lee Ermey was a family man, and a kind and gentle soul. He was generous to everyone around him. And, he especially cared deeply for others in need.

There is a quote made famous in Full Metal Jacket. It's actually the Riflemen's Creed. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

There are many Gunny's, but this one was OURS. And, we will honor his memory with hope and kindness. Please support your men and women in uniform. That's what he wanted most of all.

Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

Forum List

Back