Frustrated, armed with ropes, activist group plans to pull down Andrew Jackson monument

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
And the day will come that they come for the Washington and Jefferson memorials. Yes I know they are doing this because other demands have not been met, but the day will come when the actual targets are our founders and other great Americans.

A New Orleans activist group is threatening to pull down the city's most recognizable statue in response to what members claim are unreasonable delays in removing four other monuments honoring Confederate leaders and a 19th century white supremacist militia. Take 'Em Down NOLA says it will attempt to topple the statue of Andrew Jackson during a protest later this month in Jackson Square. Legal delays have kept the other statues -- honoring Confederate President Jefferson Davis, Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard, and a militia known as the White League -- standing nine months after the City Council authorized their removal. "We're going to go to Jackson Square. We're going ...

Frustrated, armed with ropes, activist group plans to pull down Andrew Jackson monument

That'll get the city moving. Jackson Square is the city's most famous photo op.
Why don't they take their ropes and pull down the Jefferson Davis statue instead? I'm not big on erasing history, but it's their city.

Why don't they take their ropes and pull down the Jefferson Davis statue instead? I'm not big on erasing history, but it's their city.
I still say we should have emptied New Orleans after Katrina and turned it into the nation's landfill......... Hey, at least it would eventually be above sea level....... :eusa_whistle:

Andrew Jackson was a genocidal maniac who openly defied the Supreme Court in our grand "nation of laws".

Does anyone actually know/care who the guys on the horses are, the ones set up all over the country in parks and traffic circles? Apparently the people of New Orleans are smarter than the average New Englander.

"Legal delays have kept the other statues -- honoring Confederate President Jefferson Davis, Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard, and a militia known as the White League -- standing nine months after the City Council authorized their removal."

Sherman's march to the sea just took a while longer to reach New Orleans. A fitting end one would think for Jefferson Davis, his statue ends with a rope around it's neck.

I still say we should have emptied New Orleans after Katrina and turned it into the nation's landfill......... Hey, at least it would eventually be above sea level....... :eusa_whistle:
That space between your ears could be put to a better use too.

I feel like we have too many folks in this country with too much time.

It's a dame statue. Fine don't like Andrew Jackson. But getting ropes together and your buddies planning to take it down yourselves is just ridiculous. Is the statue's presence bothering you that much?

It reminds me of old ladies in the neighborhood who try to chop down their neighbor's tree because they just don't like it.

"Legal delays have kept the other statues -- honoring Confederate President Jefferson Davis, Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard, and a militia known as the White League -- standing nine months after the City Council authorized their removal."

Sherman's march to the sea just took a while longer to reach New Orleans. A fitting end one would think for Jefferson Davis, his statue ends with a rope around it's neck.
Both sides fought hard for what they believed was best for their survival. At this point in our history, could we let the past be the past and respect the leaders of both sides? No. We can't, because the "free the slaves" part got all screwed up. You're right--the Civil War is not over.

Both sides fought hard for what they believed was best for their survival. At this point in our history, could we let the past be the past and respect the leaders of both sides? No. We can't, because the "free the slaves" part got all screwed up. You're right--the Civil War is not over.

To the contrary, the Civil War ended over 150 years ago. The South has tried to keep an echo alive all these years to the detriment of millions that live there. Move all those statues, flags, and any other monument they want to save into museums. The proper place for them.

I mean for F#$k's sake a statue of Jefferson Davis? What the hell is that.

To the contrary, the Civil War ended over 150 years ago. The South has tried to keep an echo alive all these years to the detriment of millions that live there. Move all those statues, flags, and any other monument they want to save into museums. The proper place for them.

I mean for F#$k's sake a statue of Jefferson Davis? What the hell is that.
He was a hero to a lot of people. Like Grant is a hero to a lot of people. That's all I'm saying. They lost, and to the victor goes the right to write history, but a lot of people fought on the confederate side to save their homes and their towns and their lives. Museums for their statues? Okay. But there's no reason to question why folks saved their nickels and dimes to erect those statues. I can forgive them that, I guess.

That space between your ears could be put to a better use too.
At times...... :eusa_whistle: What's your excuse? :dunno:

Dont forget to burn and pillage the neighborhood while you're at it..remember you have to destroy your city to save it

If we are going to take down statues start with Martin Luther King. Why do we have a statue of an alcoholic, whoring, plaigiarist, embezzler anyway?

One of the greatest cities in the USA with its storied history and French Quarter.

After Katrina, they tried to steal land from poor people to build condos and hotels. It would have completely destroyed the character of the city.

The character of the city is a slum? Really? That's not much character.

The people that gave that storied city it's unique and remarkable character are long gone. They've been killed, harasssed, badgered and robbed completely out of the city. Once those people were gone, the character they gave the city went too.

All that's left is an infested slum trying to peddle second hand gumbo.

One of the greatest cities in the USA with its storied history and French Quarter.

After Katrina, they tried to steal land from poor people to build condos and hotels. It would have completely destroyed the character of the city.
scale.php

Andrew Jackson was a genocidal maniac who openly defied the Supreme Court in our grand "nation of laws".
Yeah, he was an a***hole, towards native-americans. As far as blacks were concerned, slavery existed prior to and after his being in office. Each president, good and bad alike should be allowed their own statue. If we give in to this, how long before they go after Mount Rushmore and others. Our history is what made us the nation we are today and each president regardless of how we may feel about him, headed the nation.

Forum List

Back