From where did the first living things on Earth get their DNA "blueprint"?

There appears to be potential in the universe, "information" that gives form to what we perceive as physical reality. To humans, this can also appear to be predetermined, predestined, but, since we have no way to view this objectively, from outside this universe, we can never be certain.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure but... While I see the value of evolutionary theory, in helping to understand the development of life on earth; it fails to answer how it started to begin with.
Now if at some point in earths history, conditions were just right for life to come into being... Why is it that it only happened once. Genetics tells us that all living things on this planet can be traced back to a single common ancestor. We dont have parralell examples of life in existence, whose common ancestors developed independently. In a manner of speaking; we really only have one singular example of life, the diversity we see being a demonstration of this lifeforms versatility.
Additionally if earth has the unique condition of being the only place where life can coalesce... Why is it not continuing to to so? Why than would the animation of the simplest forms of life, not be constantly occuring? These are troubling questions for the adherents of the belief that life began "on Earth".
Unless... We can manage to find an example of the simplest possible form of life, only to discover that much like molecular structures; there are specific patterns, and structural processes it must follow. Much like a water molecule. They are assembled in the same fashion throughout the known universe...
If that is true; that would mean that all life through out the universe would have to begin in the same manner. Even if it were to arise independently of, and then develop and express its versatility, differently than life here on earth.

• Banned
Does science have the ability to relate DNA from humans to, for instance, a snail?

Thanks in advance.
Well it was either some elements and organic matter combining and organizing in some way according to our laws if physics, as all elese formed in the universe, or it was the magic of some magical being. The odds of it being one of the thousands of magical beings humans have invented is laughable, but I suppose you can’t discount the likes of Zeus or Allah being the magical superbeing.

Thanks in advance.
Prometheus-Movie-Wallpapers.jpg

• Banned
Thanks in advance.
Well it was either some elements and organic matter combining and organizing in some way according to our laws if physics, as all elese formed in the universe, or it was the magic of some magical being. The odds of it being one of the thousands of magical beings humans have invented is laughable, but I suppose you can’t discount the likes of Zeus or Allah being the magical superbeing.

Well, all living things grow into whatever is in their DNA blueprint. The first living thing, presumably, would not have had such a blueprint. So, how could it have developed? And how could it have developed the ability to reproduce without a DNA blueprint with which to begin?

Thanks in advance.
Well it was either some elements and organic matter combining and organizing in some way according to our laws if physics, as all else formed in the universe, or it was the magic of some magical being. The odds of it being one of the thousands of magical beings humans have invented is laughable, but I suppose you can’t discount the likes of Zeus or Allah being the magical superbeing.

Well, all living things grow into whatever is in their DNA blueprint. The first living thing, presumably, would not have had such a blueprint. So, how could it have developed? And how could it have developed the ability to reproduce without a DNA blueprint with which to begin?
Well it was either some elements and organic matter combining and organizing in some way according to our laws of physics, as all else formed in the universe, or it was the magic of some magical being. The odds of it being one of the thousands of magical beings humans have invented is laughable, but I suppose you can’t discount the likes of Zeus or Allah being the magical superbeing.

Thanks in advance.
Well it was either some elements and organic matter combining and organizing in some way according to our laws if physics, as all else formed in the universe, or it was the magic of some magical being. The odds of it being one of the thousands of magical beings humans have invented is laughable, but I suppose you can’t discount the likes of Zeus or Allah being the magical superbeing.

Well it was either some elements and organic matter combining and organizing in some way according to our laws of physics, as all else formed in the universe, or it was the magic of some magical being. The odds of it being one of the thousands of magical beings humans have invented is laughable, but I suppose you can’t discount the likes of Zeus or Allah being the magical superbeing.

You already said that.

Thanks in advance.

You already said that.
You paraphrased your original question in response to my answer. Would you like me to paraphrase my original answer? Would that help you?

If the following is the correct definition for "organic matter", then it could not have existed prior to the first living thing, correct?

Organic matter (or organic material) is matter that has come from a recently living organism. It is capable of decay, or is the product of decay; or is composed of organic compounds. There is not one definition of organic matter only.

Single cell protozoa reproduce by halving, thereby not needing DNA.

Actually, Protozoa are eukaryotes and have DNA that they transfer when they reproduce.
There are viruses that use RNA.

Viruses reproduce by transferring nucleic acid chains to the host cell to replicate during the Lytic Cycle. Some viruses have DNA (single or double strand) and they are called DNA viruses. Others reproduce using RNA chains.

The Baltimore Classification lists seven categories of viruses based on what type of nucleic acid chains they use to reproduce.

P.S. Viruses aren't typically considered to meet the traditional definition of life as they do no have a respiratory function and they can't reproduce on their own.

Is it likely that life did NOT begin from some "primordial soup"? I think so.

Forum List

Back