Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

The burdens have been met.

This is a business dispute (contract), and A&E's right as an employer supercedes an employee's right to make it look "bad" publicly.

I hate to tell you this, Jake, but the contract doesn't prohibit him from doing off camera interviews with magazines. Nor does it prohibit him from having any religious opinions outside of the show. He isn't representing A&E when he does such. This is an unlawful termination, based on religious discrimination.

If Christians aren't allowed to discriminate against homosexuals, this TV network is not allowed to discriminate against the man for being a Christian. Learn contract law before you decide to foist your flawed interpretations of it on me. Please? A&E has unfairly terminated Robertson for something he did off camera and out of view of the 14 million people who watch that show weekly.

One thing I learned in law school is that juries are crazy. They are also stupid. I would not want my life in the hands of 12 people who were too stupid to get out of jury duty.

Too stupid? I did jury duty for a week or so, 'worked' about 4 hours a day at most, and got full pay for the time from my real job to boot.

I would prefer a professional juror system though.

It is a business issue, employer and employee, not a 1st Amendment issue.

That's a fact.

Ever heard of wrongful termination?

I bet A&E will be hearing about it real soon.

I'm thinking in the $100 Million range.

And they WILL lose. Count on it.

Nah, you are certainly wrong, and A&R will counter with tort damages for damaging the brand while under contract. Count on it.

Phil's statement on black people was based on his personal observations of those he worked in the fields with. Even though the led lives of hard work they found some happiness. I have personally noted that there was a joy in the lives of black people then that they do not have now. Today after decades of affirmative action, welfare and quotas black people are filled with rage and resentment. Not only to nonblacks, which might be somewhat understandable. The worst of their rage is directed to their own. Phil Robertson said of his coworkers "we were the same". Maybe that's the big gripe. Robertson actually saw himself and the other fieldhands who were black, as equals.

This is a business dispute (contract), and A&E's right as an employer supercedes an employee's right to make it look "bad" publicly.

I wish more people would understand this point.

This isn't the gay and lesbian community vs Phil. Or the government vs Phil. Or the constitution vs Phil. This is solely between Phil and A&E.

Sorry, GLAAD prompted A&E to suspend Robertson after they found that article in GQ. This is militant gay rights activism. And when there is another referendum on gay marriage, they can kiss their hopes and dreams goodbye. Not many people will stand for folks who ask for tolerance but wont give any in return and are willing to end the livelihoods of hard working people to get it.

I hate to tell you this, Jake, but the contract doesn't prohibit him from doing off camera interviews with magazines. Nor does it prohibit him from having any religious opinions outside of the show. He isn't representing A&E when he does such. This is an unlawful termination, based on religious discrimination.

If Christians aren't allowed to discriminate against homosexuals, this TV network is not allowed to discriminate against the man for being a Christian. Learn contract law before you decide to foist your flawed interpretations of it on me. Please? A&E has unfairly terminated Robertson for something he did off camera and out of view of the 14 million people who watch that show weekly.
AND A&E have sewn the seeds of their demise...like many media outlets when it comes to the First Amendment. I like millions are appalled at their action.

That's a fact.

Nah, you are certainly wrong, and A&R will counter with tort damages for damaging the brand while under contract. Count on it.
WHO the Hell is A&R son? Check your posts before you do? NO you don't

That's a fact.

He wasn't damaging anything under contract, the show has 14 million plus viewers. Do you think he was damaging anything? No sir.

So you think you know this without reading his contract with A&E?

Anything that breaches his right to free speech and religion is unconstitutional.
Has his being fired from this network forced him to be silent or caused him to stop worshiping his religion?

No one has a right to a job, and this network can determine its own reputation.

I think they could as easily just put out a statement that this persons views are his and do not reflect the network's. They could then have kept a popular show and saved some face.

Now they will end up paying a price for a poor business choice.
That's OK. I'm sure there are dozens of networks that would LOVE to have this program under contract. A&E just lopped off their nose to spite their faces.

This isn't the gay and lesbian community vs Phil. Or the government vs Phil. Or the constitution vs Phil. This is solely between Phil and A&E.

Sorry, GLAAD prompted A&E to suspend Robertson after they found that article in GQ. This is militant gay rights activism. And when there is another referendum on gay marriage, they can kiss their hopes and dreams goodbye. Not many people will stand for folks who ask for tolerance but wont give any in return and are willing to end the livelihoods of hard working people to get it.

Could have been African Americans who lived Pre Civil Rights. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fact.

He wasn't damaging anything under contract, the show has 14 million plus viewers. Do you think he was damaging anything? No sir.
ONLY thing damaged was the feelings of a MINORITY of Americans that thinks they can dictate SPEECH. THEY are about to find out wrong.

What on God's green earth are you babbling on about, Luissa?

MOOT. It wasn't African Americans, was it? WHY the attempt at diversion? Because you're WRONG.

What on God's green earth are you babbling on about, Luissa?
SHE is living in her grey secular area again and trying to divert attention away...typical of liberals.

Pre civil rights when black people were happy and not murdering one another in the streets.

Anything that breaches his right to free speech and religion is unconstitutional.
Has his being fired from this network forced him to be silent or caused him to stop worshiping his religion?

I think they could as easily just put out a statement that this persons views are his and do not reflect the network's. They could then have kept a popular show and saved some face.

That's OK. I'm sure there are dozens of networks that would LOVE to have this program under contract. A&E just lopped off their nose to spite their faces.
Exactly.

They screwed up by taking this stance. However, they are entitled to that stance.

The best way to show them that they made a mistake when they give into politically correct action is to not do business with them or their sponsors. When their market share plummets by 35% or more, they'll wake up.

Exactly.

They screwed up by taking this stance. However, they are entitled to that stance.

The best way to show them that they made a mistake when they give into politically correct action is to not do business with them or their sponsors. When their market share plummets by 35% or more, they'll wake up.
Indeed. They are going to learn that free speech covers ALL speech...not that from the PC minority alone.

Exactly.

When their viewership plummets by say oh, 14 million, they'll reconsider their arrogance.

How long has the show been airing?

Did he just become a Christian when he did this interview?

Is it possible that his being a Christian has absolutely nothing to do with his suspension?

Forum List

Back