Freedom of Information Act denied?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Why am I hearing reports that the SEC is now denying requests under the Freedom of Information Act? Apparently because the new Financial Regulation bill exempts them from it?

Honestly, I don't know much about this and I am hoping we can find some more information on this. I think this is seriously messed up.

This does not make much sense. One of the SEC's primary functions is to serve as a clearinghouse for reliable financial data on publically traded companies.

The SEC also has a law enforcement function; I'd imagine they are entitled to maintain privacy on open investigations. Beyond that (and mebbe some personal data), I just don't see how this could makes sense.

This does not make much sense. One of the SEC's primary functions is to serve as a clearinghouse for reliable financial data on publically traded companies.

The SEC also has a law enforcement function; I'd imagine they are entitled to maintain privacy on open investigations. Beyond that (and mebbe some personal data), I just don't see how this could makes sense.

It makes no sense if everyone is a good willed person without an agenda. But if someone does have an agenda?

Id like to know who put this exemption in this bill. and why.

FOXBusiness.com - SEC Says New Financial Regulation Law Exempts it From Public Disclosure

SEC Says New Financial Regulation Law Exempts it From Public Disclosure

Under a little-noticed provision of the recently passed financial-reform legislation, the Securities and Exchange Commission no longer has to comply with virtually all requests for information releases from the public, including those filed under the Freedom of Information Act.

can we get a real leader in office please?!?!?

The provision exempts the SEC from complying with the Freedom of Information act. It was learned that the law did this when Fox and some other news organizations have tried to request certain information.

Question is why is it in there?

Wow, just, wow.

Who was it that said we need to pass it to see how it will work?

Oh yeah, that was Reid.

It makes no sense if everyone is a good willed person without an agenda. But if someone does have an agenda?

Id like to know who put this exemption in this bill. and why.

Me too.

Foxbusiness..lol I thought we all agree'd everything Fox is bullshit. Everything!

First, no. No one has agreed to such a ridiculous presumption.

Second, how does this excuse the SEC?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, a large part of the economic meltdown, are not in the Economic Reform Bill either.

What exactly is the provision? :confused:

From the article:

...The law, signed last week by President Obama, exempts the SEC from disclosing records or information derived from "surveillance, risk assessments, or other regulatory and oversight activities." Given that the SEC is a regulatory body, the provision covers almost every action by the agency, lawyers say. Congress and federal agencies can request information, but the public cannot.

That argument comes despite the President saying that one of the cornerstones of the sweeping new legislation was more transparent financial markets. Indeed, in touting the new law, Obama specifically said it would “increase transparency in financial dealings."

The SEC cited the new law Tuesday in a FOIA action brought by FOX Business Network. Steven Mintz, founding partner of law firm Mintz & Gold LLC in New York, lamented what he described as “the backroom deal that was cut between Congress and the SEC to keep the SEC’s failures secret. The only losers here are the American public.”

Criticism of the provision has been swift. “It allows the SEC to block the public’s access to virtually all SEC records,” said Gary Aguirre, a former SEC staff attorney-turned-whistleblower who had accused the agency of thwarting an investigation into hedge fund Pequot Asset Management in 2005. “It permits the SEC to promulgate its own rules and regulations regarding the disclosure of records without getting the approval of the Office of Management and Budget, which typically applies to all federal agencies.”

Aguirre used FOIA requests in his own lawsuit against the SEC, which the SEC settled this year by paying him $755,000. Aguirre, who was fired in September 2005, argued that supervisors at the SEC stymied an investigation of Pequot – a charge that prompted an investigation by the Senate Judiciary and Finance committees.

The SEC closed the case in 2006, but would re-open it three years later. This year, Pequot and its founder, Arthur Samberg, were forced to pay $28 million to settle insider-trading charges related to shares of Microsoft (MSFT: 25.95 ,0.00 ,0.00%). The settlement with Aguirre came shortly later...

This is exactly what you get when you pass gargantuan reform bills that no one has actually read. This is exactly what happened when the HC bill was passed. I would like to see some verification here.

Edit: verification above

Last edited:
How long does the administration think that even hardcore supporters will continue to bite their tongues?? This is an example of what people mean when they say that they don't want Obama to succeed.

If data about potential investments aren't public then how on earth can markets work properly?

How many insiders lying to the public and getting away with it events can this market take?

Lambs to the slaughter investment laws and regulations is a foolish policy to allow to develop.

But it seems to be the path that we're on.

Forum List

Back