France Fights Back In Ivory Coast

We all know this article must be a phoney. There is no way on earth that the French would even think about attacking someone. If its true im expecting their surrender tomorrow:p

We all know this article must be a phoney. There is no way on earth that the French would even think about attacking someone. If its true im expecting their surrender tomorrow:p

Don't be so harsh on our French "allies". They do indeed fight - after a fashion. See the blue highlighted portion of the following excerpts from an article on the Ivory Coast conflict. Red are gratuitous smartass observations by your's truly.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/11/06/ivorycoast.ap/

Ivory Coast mobs clash with French
U.N. Security Council calls emergency session
Saturday, November 6, 2004 Posted: 5:08 PM EST (2208 GMT)

French defense minister Michelle Alliot-Marie said Ivory Coast's president will be held responsible.

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast (AP) -- French troops clashed with soldiers and angry mobs Saturday after government warplanes killed at least nine French peacekeepers and an American civilian in an airstrike -- mayhem that threatened to draw foreign troops deeper into Ivory Coast's escalating civil war.

Mob violence broke out in Ivory Coast's largest city, Abidjan, after France retaliated for the airstrike by destroying two government warplanes at an airport outside the capital.

Thousands of pro-government youths, some armed with machetes, axes or chunks of wood, took to the streets of Abidjan, the country's commercial capital. Crowds went door to door looking for French citizens and set fire to a French school, sending a pall of smoke over the city.

"Everybody get your Frenchman!" young men in the mob shouted to each others.

Later, massive explosions and heavy gunfire rocked Yamoussoukro, the capital of the West African nation. It was not immediately known what caused the apparent fighting in the city, where both Ivorian and French forces are based.

The U.N. Security Council held an emergency session Saturday, with U.S. and French diplomats preparing a sharp warning to Ivory Coast's government.

Uh-oh. A "sharp warning". Look out Ivorians, your ass is grass now!!!

France quickly sent three Mirage fighter jets to West Africa and ordered more troops to Ivory Coast in response to the violence.

They sent THREE??????? Guess they must have asked for volunteers.

French Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie said Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo would be "held personally responsible by the international community for (maintaining) the public order in Abidjan."

Oh, that's IT. Now you're in deep shit.

At the U.N. Security Council, the United States, which currently holds the council presidency, and France were drafting a presidential statement warning Ivory Coast's government to stop attacks immediately or face "serious consequences," council diplomats said.

Sorry, I just can't keep a straight face any longer. Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

TV appeal for calm
In the violence in Abidjan, loyalist mobs tried to overrun a French military base near the airport. French troops fired in the air and lobbed tear gas at the crowd.

Pssssssttt - hey guys, if they're trying to overrun you, shooting in the air won't slow them down much. You have to shoot them in the ass - or some other part of their anatomy.

A senior member of Ivory Coast's government -- Sebastien Dano Djeje, Cabinet member for National Reconciliation -- said the bombing of the French position in the north "was a mistake. We didn't aim to hit them."

But then he questioned whether the government air force was really behind the strike. "But what proves it was Ivorian planes? We have to do an investigation," he told The Associated Press.

Ya gotta love diplomats. I nominate Kerry as the American ambassador to France!

Turmoil and regional, ethnic and political hatreds have reigned since. Civil war erupted in September 2002. A power-sharing deal brokered by the French ended major fighting in 2003, but otherwise failed to take hold.

Aaaah - some more of that French sophistication and wisdom coming to fruition.

you know it will be some fucking bullshit if the French get UN approval for a stronger intervention in the Ivory Coast and not Darfur

i will sit here and puke in utter disgust if that happens

where the fuck is the EMERGENCY UN Security Council session for Darfur now that the Sudanese are not even caring about int'l opinion and shooting dying refugees on international media TV?

NATO AIR said:
you know it will be some fucking bullshit if the French get UN approval for a stronger intervention in the Ivory Coast and not Darfur

where the fuck is the EMERGENCY UN Security Council session for Darfur now that the Sudanese are not even caring about int'l opinion and shooting dying refugees on international media TV?

And the IRC has people in place now to document war crimes, right? :finger3:

NATO AIR said:

You and me both. For now I'm watching and waiting.

Said1 said:
You and me both. For now I'm watching and waiting.

better yet, i will flip out. i'll get arrested at the french embassy in d.c. (i'll be on leave soon) after giving some frogs a piece of my mind.

NATO AIR said:
better yet, i will flip out. i'll get arrested at the french embassy in d.c. (i'll be on leave soon) after giving some frogs a piece of my mind.

I was once like you, and believed strongly in what the UN stood for. Now I can only hope the members of it's governing body are forced to go and live in regions where they have done little or nothing to help.

Said1 said:
I was once like you, and believed strongly in what the UN stood for. Now I can only hope the members of it's governing body are forced to go and live in regions where they have done little or nothing to help.

that sounds great. i'm all for sticking kofi in fallujah or some other hellhole where a jihadist can get ahold of him.

France get the UN approval, with the unanimity of the Un Council.

Gbagbo is a dictator, he has to leave.
Read the article from the Economist, London, about this crisis. If nothing will be do, Ivory coast will fall into a civil war, like Sierra Leone or Liberia.

Gbagbo refuse the peace because the treaty of peace between rebels and government, with France, said that the north part of ivory Coast will be integrate to the election, and Gbagbo knows that he wouldn't be re-elected if the north part votes.

I sum up this article, and at it end, the author say that if nobody help France, Ivory Coast will fall into Chaos. France stop this fall, but for how many times ?

So, if people wait and see, it will be a second Liberia, in the 2nd richer country of West Africa.

For the destruction of the WHOLE AIR FORCE OF IVORY COAST, it was 6 gunships and 2 sukkhoï......
the french soldiers protect the europeans and foreigners, under the mandate of UNO

Forum List

Back