Foxx lies again in congress - this time, about civil rights

It was mostly Democrats who fought against the Legislation. This woman did not lie about anything. In fact i didn't know much about this woman before but thanks to your troll thread i now know a lot more about her. The more i hear from her the more i like her. So thanks for that i guess.
It was CONSERVATIVES who fought against the legislation.

It is always CONSERVATIVES who fight against progress. Women's rights, gay rights, consumer protection, environmental regulation, child labor, workplace safety regulations, health care reform...IT IS ALWAYS CONSERVATIVES who fight against progress.

Forget the Republican or Democrat label. Ideological shifts occur from party to party from time to time. But the ideology is constant. CONSERVATIVES hate progress and will always fight it.

That's why it's so hard to fathom why a working family, anyone without health care, anyone who has ever drawn a breath of foul air and wanted to breathe free could ever espouse the anchor to real help for mankind that Conservative ideology presents.

Southerners fought against the Bill. There were Northern Conservatives that voted for the Bill.

This is not a Liberal versus Conservative Ideological issue. It never was!!

Civil Rights Act 1964

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7-87 (7%-93%)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%-15%)

The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1-20 (5%-95%) (only Senator Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%-16%)

Now, lets look at the stats honestly:

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7-87 (7%-93%)
Southern Republicans: 0-10 (0%-100%)
Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%-6%)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%-15%)
The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1-20 (5%-95%) (only Senator Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0-1 (0%-100%) (this was Senator John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%-2%) (only Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia opposed the measure)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%-16%) (Senators Barry Goldwater of Arizona, Bourke Hickenlooper of Iowa, Edwin L. Mechem of New Mexico, Milward L. Simpson of Wyoming, and Norris H. Cotton of New Hampshire opposed the measure)

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which again shows North for South Against, regardless of party. A larger minority of Democrats opposed the bill because there were more in the South (at that time). The southern Republicans were supporting the bill at 0%.

This woman actually spoke the truth. The Republicans certainly did more for that Legislation than the Democrats did. This is just another example of the Hopey Changeys not liking what they heard and then resorting to labelling it a "lie." Pretty predictable stuff in the end. Oh well i guess it's back to..."BOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSHH AN FOX NOOOOOOOOOOZ!!!" What a scam.

I find this whole thing silly. A large majority of both parties voted for the bill. The end.

Exactly, party loyalty had nothing to do with it. It was a North/South issue with Rep Foxx's south being soundly against it.

This woman actually spoke the truth. The Republicans certainly did more for that Legislation than the Democrats did. This is just another example of the Hopey Changeys not liking what they heard and then resorting to labelling it a "lie." Pretty predictable stuff in the end. Oh well i guess it's back to..."BOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSHH AN FOX NOOOOOOOOOOZ!!!" What a scam.

Actually, that isn't much true at all. The bill got through the House because LBJ forced it through. Also the Northern Democrats on the Rules committee almost did an end aroudn that would embarrassed the Southern Chair. Though it could be said that without R votes it would not have passed, the D's and LBJ in particular were responsible for getting it to the floor and then passed it with a supermajority.

In the Senate, the R's can take more credit as the Democratic Majority was split on geographical lines. The R's were apparently joining in the filibuster because they didn't like some of the business regulations put in the bill. Dirksen (R) and Humphry (D) hammered out a compromise that the Northern D's could live with and gave them enough votes to break the filibuster.

The end, it was a win for the majority of both parties.

True, but the republicans were a different bunch in the 60's before they became Reganistas and put a contract out on America.

Forum List

Back