Former NY police commissioner indicted, sources say

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gunny, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Here comes the dirt ... guilt by association.

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,436
    I actually think this one's a shame. Not for Giuliani, but for Kerik. He really was brilliant at his job and he'd have done an amazing job running Homeland Security. It's one of those falls that is sad, IMO.

As for Giuliani, depends on how he handles it.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I don't know if you'd find too many in the NYPD with a kind word for Kerik jillian. Most of the stuff I read about him on (secure) discussions lists isn't very flattering.

I think it will damage Giuliani, Kerik was very close to him. The muck could spray.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,436
    Well, I can tell you that we thought he did a good job in helping Giuliani get stuff cleaned up. He may well have been a horror to work for. I can't speak to that.

It might stick, but you know, there's so much that I thought would have, should have, stuck to some folk over the last 7 years, that I can't always gauge it. My inclination is to think that Giuliani can deflect it. The repubs are desperate to keep the white house. I think short of Giuliani killing puppies in the middle of the Thanksgiving Day Parade, there's not a lot that they won't put up with.

Look at it this way, as another thread noted, Giuliani got a huge endorsement from the religious right...would you have ever believed they'd endorse a three times divorced, pro-choice, pro-gun-control, cross-dressing supporter of gay rights? Oh yeah, and he also happens to be Catholic, Italian and from New York.

5. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Gunny failed to post the rest of the story where Rudy defends himself on the issue and takes responsibility for not clearing him further and then he washed his hands with the guy at the first hint of wrong doing.

Anything Gunny can do to make a great American and a great candidate look bad he will so his candidate(Fred Thompson) doesn't look like the schmuck he really is. It's pretty Juvinile actually.

6. Nevadamedic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I think Giuliani could kill puppies and still win the nomination. People need to realize that. These other candidates know they have no chance so wether they are making a suicide run(which a lot do) or are trying to prove a point it doesn't matter.

Heres whats going to happen. Giuliani is going to win the Republican nomination. He will take someone like McCain or Jeb Bush as his running mate(Romney also will take Jeb Bush as he has hired most of his Gubernatorial staff on his campaign). The Ron Paul will throw his temper tantrum and enter the race on the Libertarian or Independant ticket which will royally F%^& up the campaign and basically hand the Presidency to Hillary and Obama and then our country is royally F*&^ed with no vasoline.

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    On Kerik - since I don't have any personal contacts in NYPD I can only reference what I've read from serving NYPD personnel. And I don't want to defame Kerik or bring wrath upon the forums owner so I will take your point and say no more. On Giuliani and Robertson's endorsement. I heard Robertson's comments, they focused on the "Islamic extremism" theme. It seems that Robertson is prepared to put up with Giuliani's social policies so that Giuliani's supporters can run the "Islamic extremist" bogeyman threat. No doubt Robertson and the religious right will, assuming Giuliani wins the GOP nomination and then the presidency, will look upon Giuliani as being owned by them and they will then twist his arm on abortion, gay rights etc and attempt to implement their dream of a fundamentalist Christian theocracy.

Oh and to the lip-curlers reading this - yes, I had to get that last bit in. Do you think Robertson's an altruist or something? He's a power-monger.

8. Nevadamedic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Giuliani has never been or will never be someone's "Yes" man.

9. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Fair enough on the "has never been", that can be tested, but how do you know he's never be someone's yes man? Does every president want to serve only one term?

10. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I always had a bad feeling about Kerik -- he seemed like one of those typically greasy NYC guys to me. But, whatever. I know some greasy NYC guys and they aren't so bad. A little corrupt, maybe.