Former LDS Bishop goes on hunger strike in effort to convince church to end ‘worthiness’ interviews

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sam Young is a former Bishop with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He is also the founder of a group that calls itself, "Protect LDS Children."

Young and members of the group started a hunger strike in hopes of influencing the LDS Church to stop allowing bishops to do one-on-one interviews with minors to determine their "worthiness."

Church leaders counsel youth and often conduct a series of interviews, which Young and many other former and current LDS Church members say are inappropriate.

Young claims bishops often ask very detailed sexual questions to young church members which he and his supporters feel can leave minors susceptible to psychological trauma and predatory behavior.
Former LDS Bishop goes on hunger strike in effort to convince church to end ‘worthiness’ interviews with minors

Ya, you can't do that to kids. That is all kinds of jacked up.

Sam Young is a former Bishop with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He is also the founder of a group that calls itself, "Protect LDS Children."

Young and members of the group started a hunger strike in hopes of influencing the LDS Church to stop allowing bishops to do one-on-one interviews with minors to determine their "worthiness."

Church leaders counsel youth and often conduct a series of interviews, which Young and many other former and current LDS Church members say are inappropriate.

Young claims bishops often ask very detailed sexual questions to young church members which he and his supporters feel can leave minors susceptible to psychological trauma and predatory behavior.
Former LDS Bishop goes on hunger strike in effort to convince church to end ‘worthiness’ interviews with minors

Ya, you can't do that to kids. That is all kinds of jacked up.
It is extremely difficult to preach to the brainwashed choir.

They will probably excommunicate him.

They do not tolerate any kind of dissent.

If he believes that by such a stunt, he can convince the church to change its policies, then he does not believe in the basic principles on which the church is founded. He might as well just admit that he doesn't believe that the church is divinely guided by a prophet of God, and resign his membership therein.

Good luck with that.

i expect he will just be hungry. I mean at least if he chose to fast instead He could receive blessings for it

If he believes that by such a stunt, he can convince the church to change its policies, then he does not believe in the basic principles on which the church is founded. He might as well just admit that he doesn't believe that the church is divinely guided by a prophet of God, and resign his membership therein.

Yet, he did change it. Protect LDS Children was started in October 2017 and they have reissued guidelines.

I'm not familiar with LDS, but I'd assume that the interviews are an attempt to help detect signs of disease or sexual confusion in children, and do not see that as a harmful thing.

I would support a publicly-funded initiative to impliment a therapy of this type in public education systems, as it would hopefully be a means of detecting and eliminating sexual confusion and illness which leads to vices and other sub-human conditions such as homosexuality and trans-genderism early on, before they become a problem.

I just see it as a sane means of promoting public health; if individuals have such a problem with it, perhaps they are diseased or sexually distorted in some way or another, and it is hitting close to home, he he

Forum List

Back