Former GOP congressman indicted on terrorism charges

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
A former congressman and delegate to the United Nations was indicted Wednesday as part of a terrorist fundraising ring that allegedly sent more than $130,000 to an al Qaeda and Taliban supporter who has threatened U.S. and international troops in Afghanistan.

The former Republican congressman from Michigan, Mark Deli Siljander, was charged with money laundering, conspiracy and obstructing justice for allegedly lying about lobbying senators on behalf of an Islamic charity that authorities said was secretly sending funds to terrorists.

A 42-count indictment, unsealed in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Missouri, accuses the Islamic American Relief Agency of paying Siljander $50,000 for the lobbying -- money that turned out to be stolen from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Siljander, who served two terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, was appointed by President Reagan to serve as a U.S. delegate to the United Nations for one year in 1987.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/16/former.congressman.indicted.ap/index.html

What kind of name is that, anyway?

I'm not sure this reflects badly on the GOP. It just shows that terrorists are a huge threat and kind infiltrate any organization.

He's an ex-Reagan administration official.

It just comes as second nature to illicitly sell arms to iranians and muslim jihaddists.

Sure thing twit.

Since you just Tied obama to louis farakhan through three degrees of separation, then surely you will be consistent and tie Ronald Reagan to an indicted terrorist who served in his own adminstration. Right?

He's an ex-Reagan administration official.

It just comes as second nature to illicitly sell arms to iranians and muslim jihaddists.

You mean like being a pansy comes second-nature to democraps?

Knock off the bullshit rhetoric and I will.

This guy was a crook and he needs to pay for his crimes. But the facts don't support your accusation. All that is known is that he laundered money for someone with ties to a terrorist organization. That he had knowledge of this hasn't been proven.

Stick to the facts. I hope he pays for his crimes, whatever they are. But he isn't guilty of more than can be proven just because you say so.

This guy was a crook and he needs to pay for his crimes. But the facts don't support your accusation. All that is known is that he laundered money for someone with ties to a terrorist organization. That he had knowledge of this hasn't been proven.

Stick to the facts. I hope he pays for his crimes, whatever they are. But he isn't guilty of more than can be proven just because you say so.

democraps? :eusa_snooty: :eusa_snooty: :eusa_snooty:

now where's the smacking you upside your head emoticon when I need it?

yeah, well... he wasn't insulting *me*. :cool:

I also think he was referring to the iran contra thingy... so I thought it was pretty clever. heh...

Well yeah, except that Iran Contra is completely irrelevant to what this guy did, and he also made a sweeping generalization and condemnation of all conservatives.

Besides, if some Dem had dreamed up Iran Contra you'd think it was a stroke of genius to get hostages back.

Well yeah, except that Iran Contra is completely irrelevant to what this guy did, and he also made a sweeping generalization and condemnation of all conservatives.

Besides, if some Dem had dreamed up Iran Contra you'd think it was a stroke of genius to get hostages back.

he was being funny. ;)

No. I'd still have thought it was blatantly illegal.

he was being funny. ;)

No. I'd still have thought it was blatantly illegal.

Bush lovers have no sense of humour. Of course I was goofing off and kidding around.

I've never seen a con here ever say anything remotely funny. Have you? :cool:

Bush lovers have no sense of humour. Of course I was goofing off and kidding around.

I've never seen a con here ever say anything remotely funny. Have you? :cool:

Plus, conservatives never make broad based sweeping generalizations about liberals.

B0875.jpg

A former congressman and delegate to the United Nations was indicted Wednesday as part of a terrorist fundraising ring that allegedly sent more than $130,000 to an al Qaeda and Taliban supporter who has threatened U.S. and international troops in Afghanistan.

The former Republican congressman from Michigan, Mark Deli Siljander, was charged with money laundering, conspiracy and obstructing justice for allegedly lying about lobbying senators on behalf of an Islamic charity that authorities said was secretly sending funds to terrorists.

A 42-count indictment, unsealed in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Missouri, accuses the Islamic American Relief Agency of paying Siljander $50,000 for the lobbying -- money that turned out to be stolen from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Siljander, who served two terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, was appointed by President Reagan to serve as a U.S. delegate to the United Nations for one year in 1987.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/16/former.congressman.indicted.ap/index.html

He laundered money... I doubt very much he had any clue where it was ending up.... This is just the tip of the iceberg.... I think more American money is being used against us than any of us can imagine...

Stick to the facts:
1) he was a Reagan appointee.
2) he is involve with possible money laundering to a terrorist organization.
3) we don't know anything more than this.

Good grief.. can you imagine the conservative hysteria were this a democrat instead of a republican?

krikey!

Forum List

Back