Former election commissioner: Cohen and Trump didn't violate campaign finance law

Whoops! Another snowflake scheme to get Trump gets shot out of the saddle.

Former election commissioner: Cohen and Trump didn't violate campaign finance law

Trump-haters hoping the president’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, will provide the evidence needed to impeach the president and perhaps even “lock him up” are likely headed for a bitter disappointment. The Cohen guilty pleas are likely irrelevant to the fate of President Trump.

That’s because in my judgment – as someone who served for two years as a member of the Federal Election Commission – the campaign finance law violations Cohen pleaded guilty to committing, allegedly at Donald Trump’s direction, aren’t really violations.

If I’m right – that is, if Cohen didn’t really violate campaign finance law, despite his ill-advised guilty plea – then it would be impossible for Trump to have violated campaign finance law by directing Cohen to take a perfectly legal action.

Confused? That’s understandable, because the media lump all the charges Cohen pleaded guilty to together when explaining this complex case. But in reality, Cohen was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York City on several separate and unrelated charges.

Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison by a federal judge and was also ordered to pay almost $2 million in fines, restitution and forfeitures after earlier pleading guilty to multiple counts of business and tax fraud. Those crimes have absolutely nothing to do with Trump, but rather involve Cohen’s own business dealings.

In addition, Cohen was sentenced on his guilty pleas to violating campaign finance law on Trump’s behalf – an action that, as I will explain, I believe was not really a crime at all.

Right........So, the prosecution was WRONG.....the Judge was WRONG and Cohen's plea (and his attorney) were all WRONG.......

.....and Trump is just this poor picked on clown........Right...........LOL

When you go from Trump and Putin collusion to paying off mistresses which most Americans believes happens all the time it will come off as "poor picked on" Trump

Sure they will….LOL

Mueller has nothing. If he did his report would be out.

As for Trump forcing Cohen?? I call bullshit on that.

How could Trump force his attorney to do something?

That's my point. He couldn't

If Cohen did something illegal he did it on his own.

I was just hoping someone could explain it to us. It was more of a bump on the thread

He followed his client (the blob’s) wishes. Much like a hitman carries out a hit for someone.

In each case, both are guilty.

Guilty of using Trumps money to pay off someone who said she had an affair with him??

Oh and Cohen is an attorney. Wouldn't you think he would know if it were illegal to pay off a woman who said she had an affair with you??

Why yes.

And much like a hitman no one is forcing him to do anything

Of course Trump and Cohen didn't violate campaign finance law. Spending one's own money to protect one's reputation is not illegal.

If the Dems try to turn this into a crime, then let's see a public disclosure of all the people paid (with taxpayer money) out of the Congressional Hush Fund to cover up sexual harassment and abuse by elected officials.
These snowflakes don't seem to realize that they are living in a glass house.

We need to hold them to the New Rules they are trying to impose on the rest of us while exempting themselves. It's the only way to end this corruption short of a hot civil war.

I was just hoping someone could explain it to us. It was more of a bump on the thread

He followed his client (the blob’s) wishes. Much like a hitman carries out a hit for someone.

Guilty of using Trumps money to pay off someone who said she had an affair with him??

Oh and Cohen is an attorney. Wouldn't you think he would know if it were illegal to pay off a woman who said she had an affair with you??

Why yes.

And much like a hitman no one is forcing him to do anything
Correct. But it doesn’t excuse the person who hired him; the guy who hires the hitman and directs him and the blob who hires the attorney and directs him.

Right?

Of course AMI just blew Hans Von Spakofsky ( partisan hack) out of the water but hey

Gotta say something huh?

Trump-haters hoping the president’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, will provide the evidence needed to impeach the president and perhaps even “lock him up” are likely headed for a bitter disappointment. The Cohen guilty pleas are likely irrelevant to the fate of President Trump.

That’s because in my judgment – as someone who served for two years as a member of the Federal Election Commission – the campaign finance law violations Cohen pleaded guilty to committing, allegedly at Donald Trump’s direction, aren’t really violations.

If I’m right – that is, if Cohen didn’t really violate campaign finance law, despite his ill-advised guilty plea – then it would be impossible for Trump to have violated campaign finance law by directing Cohen to take a perfectly legal action.

Confused? That’s understandable, because the media lump all the charges Cohen pleaded guilty to together when explaining this complex case. But in reality, Cohen was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York City on several separate and unrelated charges.

Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison by a federal judge and was also ordered to pay almost $2 million in fines, restitution and forfeitures after earlier pleading guilty to multiple counts of business and tax fraud. Those crimes have absolutely nothing to do with Trump, but rather involve Cohen’s own business dealings.

In addition, Cohen was sentenced on his guilty pleas to violating campaign finance law on Trump’s behalf – an action that, as I will explain, I believe was not really a crime at all.

Right........So, the prosecution was WRONG.....the Judge was WRONG and Cohen's plea (and his attorney) were all WRONG.......

.....and Trump is just this poor picked on clown........Right...........LOL

It's an angry obscene child thread.

A Short History of Trump's Changing Story on Stormy Daniels

there's no doubt that if the payment was made with private funds solely to protect Trump's reputation, and was not intended to influence the election, it wasn't illegal,. How many non-Trumpanzees will buy that story? LOL
Wrong. It doesn't have to be "solely" to protect his reputation. Any payment that has any private purpose, even if it also benefits the campaign, is not considered to be a campaign donation.

You idiots keep trying to queer the law that governs this. That's because you are shooting blanks. You know Mueller has nothing.

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 10.40.01 AM.png

Of course Trump and Cohen didn't violate campaign finance law. Spending one's own money to protect one's reputation is not illegal.

If the Dems try to turn this into a crime, then let's see a public disclosure of all the people paid (with taxpayer money) out of the Congressional Hush Fund to cover up sexual harassment and abuse by elected officials.

We need to hold them to the New Rules they are trying to impose on the rest of us while exempting themselves. It's the only way to end this corruption short of a hot civil war.
It will never happen. The fake news media is bound and determined to protect the sleazebags.

Look him up on wiki. A recess appointment who could never be confirmed to the FEC

Why yes.

Again, just like the hitman knows murdering someone is illegal and agrees to do it.

It’s not illegal to pay off someone, it’s illegal to not report it in the context of the campaign finance laws.

Of course, your morality on accepting that the President boinked an adult film star while he was married to someone else should be called into question….I guess your zero self esteem allows you to look the other way on this matter and try to make a legal argument; which you’re losing as well?

Unlike a hitman Cohen was Trump's attorney.

If Trump asked him to pay off mistresses it is Cohen's responsibility to tell him "No". If he insists tell him to find another attorney.

My wife is a lawyer she worked for a nonprofit helping immigrants. Her "boss" wasn't an attorney and asked my wife to do something in a case that my wife didn't agree with. My wife told her no because if something went wrong she would be in trouble not her boss.

Why yes.

Again, just like the hitman knows murdering someone is illegal and agrees to do it.

It’s not illegal to pay off someone, it’s illegal to not report it in the context of the campaign finance laws.

Of course, your morality on accepting that the President boinked an adult film star while he was married to someone else should be called into question….I guess your zero self esteem allows you to look the other way on this matter and try to make a legal argument; which you’re losing as well?

If Trump asked him to pay off mistresses it is Cohen's responsibility to tell him "No". If he insists tell him to find another attorney.

My wife is a lawyer she worked for a nonprofit helping immigrants. Her "boss" wasn't an attorney and asked my wife to do something in a case that my wife didn't agree with. My wife told her no because if something went wrong she would be in trouble not her boss.

Makes zero difference if he was his attorney, his barber, his hitman, or any other vocation.

I did get a chuckle from the argument of trying to exonerate Trump because his attorney should have told him “no”.

Probably why he got disbarred/lost his State license along with the 3 years in the pokey.

Anyway, the noose is tightening on the blob.

Good.

Why yes.

Makes zero difference if he was his attorney, his barber, his hitman, or any other vocation.

I did get a chuckle from the argument of trying to exonerate Trump because his attorney should have told him “no”.

Probably why he got disbarred/lost his State license along with the 3 years in the pokey.

Anyway, the noose is tightening on the blob.

Good.
It's not against the law, dumbass. Trump might just as well have told Cohen to wash his car. That's the legal significance of this accusation.

It will never happen. The fake news media is bound and determined to protect the sleazebags.

Indeed. They want to apply the New Rules to the opposition. So, the us Normal Folks need to put sunlight on their hypocrisy.

In other news, the Clinton Foundation Fraud investigation is really heating up!

COHEN: I'm a lawyer. I know the law. I broke the law. I'm guilty.

TARDS: Nuh-uh!

Mueller has a gun to Cohen's head, dumbass.

Do the Trumpanzees even convince themselves? I've wondered. But they do better with the "everbody does it defense."

And in a sense all that access Hillary sold to foreign govts so they'd pose with her to show she was the greatest ever diplomat was essentially campaign advertising.

Wrong. It doesn't have to be "solely" to protect his reputation. Any payment that has any private purpose, even if it also benefits the campaign, is not considered to be a campaign donation.

According to who?

You?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Mueller has a gun to Cohen's head, dumbass.
Yeah it's plead guilt or kiss the kiddies for the last time in this lifetime, asshole gun

If you conspire with your lawyer to do something illegal...you BOTH have committed crimes

Forum List

Back