Foreign Aid

left alone

Rookie
Feb 19, 2006
Can someone please explain foreign aid or other types of money we send around the world. I read somewhere where we were going to hold up the 600 million dollars we normally send Palestine until their new govt. denounces their threats to destroy Isreal.

Why are we giving them money in the first place? 600 million and they hate us? How hard would they demonstrate if we only gave them 100 million?

We are also giving money to North Korea. Come on, give me a break, North Korea?

Are we trying to buy friends? If so, its not working. Can someone explain the theory behind this?

left alone said:
Can someone please explain foreign aid or other types of money we send around the world. I read somewhere where we were going to hold up the 600 million dollars we normally send Palestine until their new govt. denounces their threats to destroy Isreal.

Why are we giving them money in the first place? 600 million and they hate us? How hard would they demonstrate if we only gave them 100 million?

Are we trying to buy friends? If so, its not working. Can someone explain the theory behind this?

Kind of simple. Lie and say you're for peace, renounce terrorism, and even though you are the Grandaddy of all modern-day terrorists, you can win the Nobel Peace Prize and get free US taxpayer dollars.

I don't know what it takes to wake some people up. The majority of Palestinian-Arabs voted a known terrorist organization into power as their government. Kinda sucks to be a Palestinian apologista this week, I guess.

left alone said:

You got me. Ive been saying this for years. Guess no one cares about it. They'd rather complain about what government entitlement program they arent getting tommorrow.

GunnyL said:
Kind of simple. Lie and say you're for peace, renounce terrorism, and even though you are the Grandaddy of all modern-day terrorists, you can win the Nobel Peace Prize and get free US taxpayer dollars.

I don't know what it takes to wake some people up. The majority of Palestinian-Arabs voted a known terrorist organization into power as their government. Kinda sucks to be a Palestinian apologista this week, I guess.

How about the billions we give Israel every year? So they can spend money on getting spys to invade our military departments, lobby for more money, get the US into more trouble by pissing off its neighbors....

I wouldn't care if the Iraelis live or died, so long as I don't have to pay for them to be the way they are. Israel has been bleeding us dry for too long. Time to wean them off of Uncles Sam's tit.. Nope, not my responsibilty to worry about Israel or its people. My concern is the safety of the United States and the rest of the dopes that live here.

But, go ahead USMESSAGE BOARD "Conservative" advocates,, keep defending Israel's claim to US tax dollars as an investment by the US.. If you believe it, then it is your choice to see Hillary Clinton become the next president of the United States.. My guess she will get super putz to be her running mate,, Joe Lieberman. That son of a bitch just won't go away.. There must be a reason why he is grabbing all the press he can get..

Working Man said:
How about the billions we give Israel every year? So they can spend money on getting spys to invade our military departments, lobby for more money, get the US into more trouble by pissing off its neighbors....

I wouldn't care if the Iraelis live or died, so long as I don't have to pay for them to be the way they are. Israel has been bleeding us dry for too long. Time to wean them off of Uncles Sam's tit.. Nope, not my responsibilty to worry about Israel or its people. My concern is the safety of the United States and the rest of the dopes that live here.

But, go ahead USMESSAGE BOARD "Conservative" advocates,, keep defending Israel's claim to US tax dollars as an investment by the US.. If you believe it, then it is your choice to see Hillary Clinton become the next president of the United States.. My guess she will get super putz to be her running mate,, Joe Lieberman. That son of a bitch just won't go away.. There must be a reason why he is grabbing all the press he can get..

I must have missed something ..... where in my statement did I advocate US support of Israel?

But, since YOU brought it up ......

Comparing a democracy to a National government that is an internationally-recognized terrorist organization is not only bad form, it is downright dishonest.

I support Israel's right to exist, and to exist in peace. I do NOT support the right of a terrorist organization and the idiots that voted them into power to exist. Simple as that.

If you don't like financially supporting Israel, power to you. I don't have a problem with it.

My whole solution would be to back Israel in a full scale attack on Iran. Iran has threatened to exterminate Israel. What more grounds do you need to launch a preemptive strike then a direct threat against your existence? Now by back Israel, I mean give no words of discouragement to the UN about Israel bombing the shit out of Iran. Let those 2 fight it out and we'll see who wins. My money is on Israel.

insein said:
My whole solution would be to back Israel in a full scale attack on Iran. Iran has threatened to exterminate Israel. What more grounds do you need to launch a preemptive strike then a direct threat against your existence? Now by back Israel, I mean give no words of discouragement to the UN about Israel bombing the shit out of Iran. Let those 2 fight it out and we'll see who wins. My money is on Israel.

I was thinking more along the lines of granting Israel California, Oregon and Washington. :dev3:

Bet the Palestinians would move to Vancouver, where they would probably be welcomed with open arms. Without an enemy, they don't have a reason to exist.

GunnyL said:
I was thinking more along the lines of granting Israel California, Oregon and Washington. :dev3:

Bet the Palestinians would move to Vancouver, where they would probably be welcomed with open arms. Without an enemy, they don't have a reason to exist.

With Islam, there is always an enemy. The Cannucks would offend them in some way by not whipping their ass proficiently enough and then the riots would begin.

All foreign aid should be dropped like a bad habit. For starters, it's unconstitutional. Just as important, every government we prop up has people who hate it. Even the "good" governments we aid have opponents. Want to help a particular country's government? Open your wallet, and/or organize a fund raiser.

And don't think that humanitarian projects are okay. Buy a bridge for the people of BongoBongoLand, and you've suddenly freed up money in the budget for El Presidente to spend on secret police, limousines, and weapons.

Working Man said:

So why is Lieberman a son of a bitch and a putz? (btw, they seem like totally opposite traits). Has he committed the unforgiveable sin of being a moderate Democrat, and of not being a shrill partisan nutcase?

Abbey Normal said:
So why is Lieberman a son of a bitch and a putz? (btw, they seem like totally opposite traits). Has he committed the unforgiveable sin of being a moderate Democrat, and of not being a shrill partisan nutcase?

opposite traits ? :huh:

dilloduck said:
opposite traits ? :huh:

Putz connotes passive and stupid, while son of a bitch describes one who is more aggresive and nasty. Not antomyms, but very disimilar traits for one person to possess.

putz ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pts)
n. Slang. A fool; an idiot.

son of a bitch Vulgar
n. pl. sons of bitches
A person regarded as thoroughly mean or disagreeable.

Abbey Normal said:
Putz connotes passive and stupid, while son of a bitch describes one who is more aggresive and nasty. Not antomyms, but very disimilar traits for one person to possess.

putz ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pts)
n. Slang. A fool; an idiot.

son of a bitch Vulgar
n. pl. sons of bitches
A person regarded as thoroughly mean or disagreeable.

ahhhhhhh I was going with a different definition of putz. :teeth:

I've read with some interest in the bobing and weaving of the last 11 answers but I haven't had anyone address the orgional question yet. What results has foreign aid produced? Why do we continue?

left alone said:
I've read with some interest in the bobing and weaving of the last 11 answers but I haven't had anyone address the orgional question yet. What results has foreign aid produced? Why do we continue?

I think it is a valid question. Does anyone have an answer?

left alone said:

Try re-reading your own questions.

Originally Posted by left alone

Bobbing, and weaving? Hmmmm.

Anywho, to answer your question, foreign aid doesn`t generally have results one can "lay their hands" on. There`s a lot of "back door" diplomacy going on.

At this point in our history, I think foreign aid has out lived its usefulness, and more "direct" aid is being applied. You do this for me, and we`ll do this for you. Fairly direct, not "fuzzy", and "undirected" as foreign aid has historically been.

That`s my take anyway, hope it helps. :smoke:

left alone said:

I'm no expert on the subject, but it's my understanding that some foreign aid (such as what we give to North Korea) is humanitarian aid, meant to assist people in repressive regimes, not their governments. Other aid is in the form of military assistance for our allies, which can be quite advantageous for us. I'm not supporting every dollar of foreign aid, because I think there's probably a lot that we could trim. All I'm saying is that not all foreign aid is lining a dictator's pocket.

Forum List

Back