'Force field' technology could make US tanks unstoppable

Discussion in 'Military' started by shockedcanadian, Aug 2, 2018.

1. westwall

westwall Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,912

The reason why they use an explosively formed projectile is because the response is in milliseconds. The radar tracks the incoming and then only fires the weapon when it is appropriate. It is not a stand off defense weapon, it is a close in system. It will even work on RPG's fired from close range in a MOUT environment.

2. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Clearly it's a close in system and I think it's safe to say it was designed with RPGs in mind given Israel's common exposure to asymmetrical warfare.

What I'm wondering is given the system's emphasis on side protection, do the defensive systems even have a firing arc that could engage a weapon coming almost straight down like a Javelin? On videos of Javelins hitting targets it looks like it would actually go in the tank commander's hatch if left open.

[​IMG]

3. westwall

westwall Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,912

Yep. They are a regional system. Each weapon covers a particular arc.

4. Pilot1

Pilot1 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,098
    Today's battlefield is run by technology, and satellite communication. Tanks, ships, planes, infantry, artillery, etc are all linked to provide situational awareness, and status. My concern is that a tech advanced enemy's first task will be to take out this technology with EMP's and other means. An impenetrable tanks is pretty worthless if it is deaf, dumb, and blind. Yes, I know the military has considered this, and has countermeasure, but will they all work in combat. I hope we never find out.