For those cooking tomorrow...

The year before last I forgot stuffing shit, cranberry shit, and I think I might have forgotten Cool Whip and/or a pie.

My guest, who is also my babysitter, insisted we make a flying trip to Redmond (only about 100 miles each way, nothing to it) to purchase these things on Thanksgiving Day.

So I cooked, went on a long trip, shopped, came home and cooked some more.

This year, I forgot stuffing shit, cranberries, and undoubtedly numerous other things.

But one of my guests (well, the only guest for tomorrow) is shopping before he comes this way, so he's getting the marshmallows, the pie, a few other things. Rolls in case I don't feel up to making rolls.

Then on Day 2, my family is coming and they will be bringing all THEIR leftovers, and enchiladas, so we'll be gorging.

"Stuffing shit" sounds so gay.

Literally.

Tough shit.

Since you aren't cooking, but rather sleeping in, you'll eat your shit and enjoy it!

Now Shaddyup! :funnyface:

The year before last I forgot stuffing shit, cranberry shit, and I think I might have forgotten Cool Whip and/or a pie.

My guest, who is also my babysitter, insisted we make a flying trip to Redmond (only about 100 miles each way, nothing to it) to purchase these things on Thanksgiving Day.

This year, I forgot stuffing shit, cranberries, and undoubtedly numerous other things.

But one of my guests (well, the only guest for tomorrow) is shopping before he comes this way, so he's getting the marshmallows, the pie, a few other things. Rolls in case I don't feel up to making rolls.

Then on Day 2, my family is coming and they will be bringing all THEIR leftovers, and enchiladas, so we'll be gorging.

"Stuffing shit" sounds so gay.

Literally.

Yes it does, doesn't it? And guess who noticed!

Ok, so I'm in *really* good company.

How do we forget all this thanksgiving shit?

Too much shit to remember, not enough help from the men folks, that's how! ;)

And for anyone who has ever stuffed a turkey, it is perfectly apropos.

Ayep.... ick.

And for those who've never stuffed or cooked a turkey, please, please, please, remember to take the little bag of frozen parts out of the turkey's empty body cavity. Otherwise when you carve that sucker up, it's gonna be ugly (and inedible).

:eusa_whistle:

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.

But good Lord, it's more work than Christmas.

When I was young, my mother was rabid about it and since she usually worked graves and/or swing shift, GUESS WHO GOT TO DO ALL THE ACTUAL WORK SHE WAS ADAMANT ABOUT?

You guessed it. I flipping HATE peeling potatoes, boiling potatoes, mashing potatoes.

I HATE making Jello. It's the easiest thing in the world, but all my memories are of mom at about 10 a.m. the day before carping "Have you made the jello yet?"

No stuffing without sauteed celery and onions. Chop, chop, chop, saute, saute, saute....dishes piling up, never a dishwasher. Mix mix mix.

Giblet gravy. Goes on at about 11 p.m. at night. At least if Mom's in charge.

Flipping shrimp salad. More chop, chop, chop. (before there were packaged salad mixes, those things have done more to bring about world peace than anything I know.)

Homemade rolls. Mom usually would do those, but of course...I don't MIND making bread. One bowl and a pan. Flour, salt, water, sugar, yeast, oil. No utensils to speak of.

See, I SHOULD be doing all those things now. But hey, I only have one guest coming tomorrow, and he could give a shit if we have dinner at 1:30 p.m. SHARP. Or 3 p.m. SHARP. Or whenever SHARP.

Then of course there are the fucking snacks. Spanakopita. Little niblets....meat wrapped around cream cheese and green onions. Homemade dip and salsa. Every kind of pickle in the world, olives, green AND black, crackers, cheese balls, breakfast stuff, cuz you gotta have a big honking breakfast on T-day.

Stuffed celery. Not just with peanut butter, but also with cream cheese.

Oh lord.

My Thanksgivings are much more laid back.

And Christmas is even easier. Ham or turkey, mashed tatoes, salad, goodies to nosh on. That's it.

And for anyone who has ever stuffed a turkey, it is perfectly apropos.

Ayep.... ick.

And for those who've never stuffed or cooked a turkey, please, please, please, remember to take the little bag of frozen parts out of the turkey's empty body cavity. Otherwise when you carve that sucker up, it's gonna be ugly (and inedible).

:eusa_whistle:

I put celery and onions inside my turkey, for flavoring...they get tossed...I don't stuff my turkey anymore, the stuffing is made separately, makes the bird much juicier, that stuffing sucks up all the juice.

Though honestly, I've only made spanakopita once, when I was catering a party for my sister's friends and co-workers (lawyers, judges, law enforcement). I just like to say it.

Spanakopita. Spanakopita.

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.

But good Lord, it's more work than Christmas.

When I was young, my mother was rabid about it and since she usually worked graves and/or swing shift, GUESS WHO GOT TO DO ALL THE ACTUAL WORK SHE WAS ADAMANT ABOUT?

You guessed it. I flipping HATE peeling potatoes, boiling potatoes, mashing potatoes.

I HATE making Jello. It's the easiest thing in the world, but all my memories are of mom at about 10 a.m. the day before carping "Have you made the jello yet?"

No stuffing without sauteed celery and onions. Chop, chop, chop, saute, saute, saute....dishes piling up, never a dishwasher. Mix mix mix.

Giblet gravy. Goes on at about 11 p.m. at night. At least if Mom's in charge.

Flipping shrimp salad. More chop, chop, chop. (before there were packaged salad mixes, those things have done more to bring about world peace than anything I know.)

Homemade rolls. Mom usually would do those, but of course...I don't MIND making bread. One bowl and a pan. Flour, salt, water, sugar, yeast, oil. No utensils to speak of.

See, I SHOULD be doing all those things now. But hey, I only have one guest coming tomorrow, and he could give a shit if we have dinner at 1:30 p.m. SHARP. Or 3 p.m. SHARP. Or whenever SHARP.

Then of course there are the fucking snacks. Spanakopita. Little niblets....meat wrapped around cream cheese and green onions. Homemade dip and salsa. Every kind of pickle in the world, olives, green AND black, crackers, cheese balls, breakfast stuff, cuz you gotta have a big honking breakfast on T-day.

Stuffed celery. Not just with peanut butter, but also with cream cheese.

Oh lord.

My Thanksgivings are much more laid back.

And Christmas is even easier. Ham or turkey, mashed tatoes, salad, goodies to nosh on. That's it.

I'm tired just reading that! *sigh*

My Mom and I used to do battle over T-giving too.

I had to peel oranges and grapes for the fruit salad. A gross, icky, sticky job. And the grapes were the RED/Dark Purple ones, so my hands would be stained for fucking weeks afterward. :evil:

She gave my sister the dressing to do. Not nearly so gross, and my Mom's dressing is THE BEST part of Thankgiving. Maybe I didn't get to do the dressing because I would have eaten it all? I dunno.

I just know I HATED, H-A-T-E-D peeling all the fucking fruit shit for the fruit salad shit. Dammit.

And so now that I am the Mom.....we don't have fucking fresh fruit salad shit. Problem solved. :D

Take THAT, Mom!!!! :rofl:

I just finished baking my pies, cleaned the kitchen all I have to do now is prep the turkey at 4 am and my hub will complete everything else. He is going to WalMart tomorrow he said, I asked him to pick up some of those cheap flowers because I forgot them.

I think hub forgot to pick up garbage bags. LOL

I am a planner. I am lacking nothing. I purchased my stuff 2 weeks ago, and the perishables were purchased yesterday. No mad dashing in my kitchen. I am a cook who is prepared.

BTW, cooking is one of my hobbies

Well dinner is done and we're watching the "Great Tree Lighting" by Macy's at Lenox Square on TV.

My daughter is pitching a bitch because she wanted to go to it live and in person. Unfortunately, we didn't finish eating in time to get down there before the 7,482 million other people who're already there waiting for the dickheads to pull the switch and light that damned tree. She wants to ride the Pink Pig too, but I think that's a little ridiculous since she's almost 15 years old and that is a ride for little kids.

Geez....and how was YOUR Thanksgiving? :D

Forum List

Back