For all to see: The Kennedy -McCain Immigration Bill

Discussion in 'Congress' started by CrimsonWhite, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    Wow, great response. :rolleyes:

2. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    You are like a child who can't stand it when proved wrong.

3. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    Too many people looked at the broken promises to secure the border as we grant citizenship to some illegals. Think of the Reagan Amnesty Plan. I personally didn't think the bill was that bad (and I am an immigration conservative), but I do think any bill must start with a comprehensive closure of the border starting with a fence, harsh, swift and enforable punishment of employers and landlords and then move toward possible amnesty.

4. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    The plan for securing the border first. If the bill had passed, that would have happened first, per the plan.

5. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    I wasn't bitching about your response. I was bitchng about the lack of response. Everyone on this board seems to have an opinion on the bill, but when the bill is put in front of them, they clam up. Sorry if I offended.

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,329
    Onthefence, I have an article that pretty much sums up the way I feel about this bill.

http://www.intellectualconservative.com/2006/04/11/mccain-epitomizes-federal-government-failures/

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    and you sir are like too many McCain supporters, you will drive those away that felt they needed to vote for the best of the three standing. You have proven nothing, you indeed have posted what is well known, but statements made by McCain himself that he supported Kennedy's bill.

More to the point, you are reminding many of why they felt they could not vote for McCain, thanks for that:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/w...2/28/kennedy_mccain_try_again_on_immigration/

McCain, Bush, and Spector met with Democratic leaders that also wanted this and came up with S1348, (5/07) which later was changed to 1639, (6/07). McCain pushed for both, which in effect were just rehashes of the one you first cited, then each also failed. By May, McCain was already feeling the reaction and contemplating his run for Presidency. I never said he was stupid, just not Conservative. About a month ago, I had decided that there really wasn't an alternative, I'd have to vote for him. You have come very close to influencing me to change my mind.

If he in your sit down with him or any of his campaign staff has encouraged your discussions in this way, well then he's not as bright as I gave him credit for being. McCain has never denied what he did, in fact he says he learned from the backlash. I must say I was never convinced of that. On the other hand, such a 'McCain backer,' trying to spin that since he's not a co-sponsor and did not vote on that last bill, well that's so much crap.

8. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think immigration is the most grossly overblown issue in the history of American Politics. It primarily affects states near the Mexican border, yet in my state of Missouri, our moron Gov. Matt Blunt-Trauma feels the need to "crack down" on "illegal immigrants". It's just not as big of a deal as the far right would have us believe. Of course, the primary exploiters of illegals are the corporations that fund right-wing campaigns.
    An example of the real victims of these "crack-downs" - children who were brought here illegally by their parents, who have spent nearly their entire lives here, who are here through absolutely no fault of their own, are also send back "home". What good does this do?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    Using 1996 data, way off in numbers as we now know, here are the government's estimates, seems you are a bit off on only the 'border states':

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...gov&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Top 10 States with undocumented residents:

1. California 2,000,000
    2. Texas 700,000
    3. New York 540,000
    4. Florida 350,000
    5. Illinois 290,000
    6. New Jersey 135,000

7. Arizona 115,000
    8. Massachusetts 85,000
    9. Virginia 55,000
    10. Washington 52,000

10. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Kathianne your numbers prove my point. If you do the math, 2/3 of the undocumented people are in border states (and Florida is a "border" state because of it's proximity to Caribbean islands). The only non-border states with large undocumented populations are New York and Illinois which both have very large cities with very large immigrant populations in general (New York and Chicago) and so are magnets for these folks.

The fact still remains that this issue is blown way out of proportion. The problem isn't the immigrants, it's the corporations who encourage them to come here and then exploit them with the aid and support of the federal government.

acludem