For Adults Only

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Last edited:
Something else you'll probably find worth running down as well (I removed your name, but it really is made to YOU....I'd call now!)

santa-lucia-p1.jpg

There isn't enough political bullshit to sneak this in with in the other subforums?

When the global warming really kicks in full speed ahead, will Iceland still be called Iceland or will it be called Meltland?

"Please, only people who agree with me post in this thread."

Not at all daveman, even stupid people are more than welcome to post on this thread. You, crusaderfrank, stephanie, oddudue, Revere; the entire RW echo chamber. I'm happy to debate RW fools.

You don't want debate. You want immediate, unthinking acceptance and approval.

I suggest you try Democratic Underground. You won't be exposed to any scary conservative ideas there. Groupthink is rigidly enforced. You'll love it.

"Please, only people who agree with me post in this thread."

Not at all daveman, even stupid people are more than welcome to post on this thread. You, crusaderfrank, stephanie, oddudue, Revere; the entire RW echo chamber. I'm happy to debate RW fools.

I suggest you try Democratic Underground. You won't be exposed to any scary conservative ideas there. Groupthink is rigidly enforced. You'll love it.

For once I'm inclined to agree with you dave. There is no debate, climate change is here and worsening. Only a liar or a fool suggests otherwise.
The question is, how much does humanity play into climate change?
Maybe a little, maybe a lot. Maybe what you consider a natural occurance is God giving subtle and not so subtle weather hints, telling us to quit fucking up his creation.
In any event there is no means to convince you and the other fools, you'd rather believe those who profit from burning fossil fuels and not those who actually study weather phenomena.

For once I'm inclined to agree with you dave. There is no debate, climate change is here and worsening. Only a liar or a fool suggests otherwise.
Maybe a little, maybe a lot. Maybe what you consider a natural occurance is God giving subtle and not so subtle weather hints, telling us to quit fucking up his creation.
In any event there is no means to convince you and the other fools, you'd rather believe those who profit from burning fossil fuels and not those who actually study weather phenomena.

Was Benjamin Franklin a Scientist? Do you give his work in Science credence? And would you say he was/is respected as a "Scientist?"

Wry, few of us, I think, are really qualified to evaluate the science to even weigh in in this debate.

I know that I am not.

IOt is my understanding that the majority of scientists who are truly qualified to study this phenomena are of the opinion that the globe is warming and that it is at least in part the result of human activity.

Some of those also believe that mankind can still do something positive to mitigate that trend.

Personally, I don't know.

But what I think I DO KNOW is that cap and trade is not a good approach to dealing with this problem.

It is, if anything, going to make things worse.

Believe me when I tell you that if I cannot afford to buy oil because cap and trade is working against people like me, I WILL START BURNING TREES to stay warm.

Multiply me by millions (who knows billions?) of people and what we'll have created is a state of affairs that is even worse than what we're facing right now.

Markets forces (the cap and trade concept) will KILL people.

Seriously, that is what cap and trade really is....let the market kill people and then nobody can be blamed for their deaths

That is not, I think, a sensible solution.

So whether global warming is real, (and I suspect it is) the proposed solutions to dealing with it are NOT.

Well the chicken littles of the world have stopped calling it global warming and now call it climate change.

Why would that be? Could it be that since climate is always changing and that gives chicken little something to be perpetually warning us about so as to further their cause of big government?

Words mean something folks and whenever a bunch of fucking bureaucrats who want nothing more than to separate you from more of your money start changing the names of the so called threats they will save you from, you better start wondering why.

Was Benjamin Franklin a Scientist? Do you give his work in Science credence? And would you say he was/is respected as a "Scientist?"

Not sure what exactly you mean by that - But I do declare we can all agree 100% that Ben Franklin lived in pre-industrialization times.

Not sure what exactly you mean by that - But I do declare we can all agree 100% that Ben Franklin lived in pre-industrialization times.

If you don't want to answer the questions (which are all opinion, so there is no wrong answer), then just say "I don't want to answer the questions."

Re-visiting them, they seem pretty straight-forward to me. Not sure how I could have stated them more clearly?

I've seen the "science" AGW is based on. It's not science at all. It's a cult.

I don't see anyone doubting that climate is changing. But the insistence that man is involved is based on politics and economics, not science. You can tell because the only solutions offered are political and economic.

AGW is about massive wealth redistribution and greater government control over individual lives. You may want to hand control over your life to the bureaucracy, but I'm not interested, so don't make the mistake of assuming you can make that decision for me "for my own good".

Man, what happened to the left in this country? In the Sixties, you wouldn't trust a government press release that said the sun is hot. Now, you want the government to run your lives.

Sad, really.

When the global warming really kicks in full speed ahead, will Iceland still be called Iceland or will it be called Meltland?

Thawedland!

Waterworld?

Greenland Melt May Swamp LA, Other Cities, Study Says
Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News

April 8, 2004

"Greenland's massive ice sheet could begin to melt this century and may disappear completely within the next thousand years if global warming continues at its present rate.

According to a new climate change study, the melting of Greenland's ice sheet would raise the oceans by seven meters (23 feet), threatening to submerge cities located at sea level, from London to Los Angeles.

Even a partial melting of the ice sheet could have catastrophic consequences for low-lying countries like Bangladesh and the Maldives.

"A one-meter [three-foot] sea level rise would submerge a substantial amount of Bangladesh," Jonathan Gregory, the study's lead author and a climate scientist at the University of Reading in England, said in a telephone interview.

Scientists have previously calculated that if the annual average temperature in Greenland increases by almost 3° Celsius (5.4° Fahrenheit), its ice sheet will begin to melt.

Many experts believe the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will have reached levels around the year 2100 that would cause the temperature to rise that much.

"We're not saying how long it will take to get to the three degrees or how long it will take to lose the ice sheet," Gregory said. "We're saying there's a high likelihood of passing this threshold of viability with the carbon dioxide levels that are currently being considered."

The research is described in this week's issue of the science journal Nature.

Global Warming

The issue of global warming is controversial. It's clear that, since the Industrial Revolution, atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide have increased 30 percent, enhancing the heat-trapping capability of the atmosphere.

Scientists generally believe that the combustion of fossil fuels to run cars, heat homes, and power factories is the primary source for this increase in carbon dioxide levels.

In the absence of emissions control policies, the United States Environmental Protection Agency says carbon dioxide concentrations will be 30 to 150 percent higher than the current 370 parts per million (ppm) found today.

Meanwhile, the global surface temperature increased 0.6° Celsius (1.8° Fahrenheit) in the last century. Oceans have become warmer, too, expanding while storing heat. This has caused sea levels to rise 4 to 8 inches (10 to 20 centimeters) in the last hundred years.

While most scientists agree that higher greenhouse gas concentrations, particularly carbon dioxide, are causing global warming, a few scientists argue that atmospheric carbon dioxide levels may not be the only culprit, because they have remained relatively steady for the past 30 years."

More: see, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/pf/54234057.html

Last edited:

Forum List

Back