Food For Thought

Jan 31, 2014
Is it me or is anyone else disgusted by the current direction of our political leaders
including both Democrats and Republicans. I always thought that the reason one moved into politics was to one, represent the interests of a geographic and demographic area, and two to make intelegent informed decisions that positively effect that politicians constituency. Why then have our political leaders become products of group think and failed miserably in properly representing their constituencies and why do we continue to support these power hungry corrupt officials? What happened to being an individualist and standing for a purpose rather than a party?

Yep. Exactly why I am not a registered democrat or republican they all make me sick...one becomes a politician to line ones pockets with power and money from lobbies knowing once you are kicked out or retire you got a nice cushy job waiting for you on K street.

Yep. Exactly why I am not a registered democrat or republican they all make me sick...one becomes a politician to line ones pockets with power and money from lobbies knowing once you are kicked out or retire you got a nice cushy job waiting for you on K street.
That is why we need term limits; keep those bastards from fleecing us.

Nope. Just like term limits won't happen unless something like from the book Term Limits starts to happen.

Is it me or is anyone else disgusted by the current direction of our political leaders
including both Democrats and Republicans. I always thought that the reason one moved into politics was to one, represent the interests of a geographic and demographic area, and two to make intelegent informed decisions that positively effect that politicians constituency. Why then have our political leaders become products of group think and failed miserably in properly representing their constituencies and why do we continue to support these power hungry corrupt officials? What happened to being an individualist and standing for a purpose rather than a party?
Democracy changed American polity. The lower chamber of the legislature, once the "grand depository of the democratic principle of the Government" (George Mason), is no longer unique. The poison of democracy has seeped into the Senate, the electoral college, and local and state governments throughout our land. Even Alexander Hamilton, whose vision of a Leviathan state could make him a centerfold in a liberal self-pleasuring magazine, said democracy was "our real Disease." The lack of democracy in our government and Constitution up to the twentieth century is what provoked revisionist scholars of the Progressive Era to change our history and influence the popular will.

So now disinterestedness is no longer demanded or expected of our public officers. Unlike republicanism, democracy allows for - even encourages - our politicians to pursue their pecuniary interests and personal designs while in office. No longer do leaders, especially those of modest fortunes, complain of the burdens of office and seek temporary retirement to their own estates. Now their refuge is in office. Fortunes, notoriety, prestige, and other personal reasons are now the motives for seeking office, because constituencies, now more than ever, are the people.

In a word, politicians have adjusted to being "power hungry" and engaging in "group think" because more and more, they rely on the people for their positions, and people are ignorant and gullible.

Democracy changed American polity. The lower chamber of the legislature, once the "grand depository of the democratic principle of the Government" (George Mason), is no longer unique. The poison of democracy has seeped into the Senate, the electoral college, and local and state governments throughout our land. Even Alexander Hamilton, whose vision of a Leviathan state could make him a centerfold in a liberal self-pleasuring magazine, said democracy was "our real Disease." The lack of democracy in our government and Constitution up to the twentieth century is what provoked revisionist scholars of the Progressive Era to change our history and influence the popular will.

So now disinterestedness is no longer demanded or expected of our public officers. Unlike republicanism, democracy allows for - even encourages - our politicians to pursue their pecuniary interests and personal designs while in office. No longer do leaders, especially those of modest fortunes, complain of the burdens of office and seek temporary retirement to their own estates. Now their refuge is in office. Fortunes, notoriety, prestige, and other personal reasons are now the motives for seeking office, because constituencies, now more than ever, are the people.

In a word, politicians have adjusted to being "power hungry" and engaging in "group think" because more and more, they rely on the people for their positions, and people are ignorant and gullible.

The Seventeenth Amendment, changing the selection of senators from State legislature appointees, to popularly elected, started the downfall of a Republican form of government. That change took the state governments out of the federal government, and removed the restraint that the Senate was designed to provide.

People should ask themselves why we have two branches of the legislature? Things would go a whole lot smoother, if we just had one. Senators, unbeholdened to the people of the state, and obligated to the state legislatures, could be the saucer for cooling the populist bent of the House of Representatives. The Seventeenth Amendment ended that concept.

Democracy is a grand concept, but like most concepts, an excess of it becomes destructive.

The Seventeenth Amendment, changing the selection of senators from State legislature appointees, to popularly elected, started the downfall of a Republican form of government. That change took the state governments out of the federal government, and removed the restraint that the Senate was designed to provide.

People should ask themselves why we have two branches of the legislature? Things would go a whole lot smoother, if we just had one. Senators, unbeholdened to the people of the state, and obligated to the state legislatures, could be the saucer for cooling the populist bent of the House of Representatives. The Seventeenth Amendment ended that concept.

Democracy is a grand concept, but like most concepts, an excess of it becomes destructive.
A legislature that operates more smoothly is simply a legislature that legislates more, i.e., burdens the people more. I'm not sure that Nebraska's unicameral legislature has been any more beneficial to people than the legislatures of the other states have.

Although 1913 was a pivotal year in the usurpation of republicanism by democracy (not only for the ratification of the Seventeenth Amendment but also of the Sixteenth), it was not the beginning of the transformation. Progressivism infiltrated the government during Teddy Roosevelt's presidency. I may be mistaken, but I think the FDA began not only to enforce but also to regulate.

And democracy is just a concept, not really grand, IMO. Its limited inclusion in our original Constitution was really more or less just a way to extend the voting franchise to the people. But as a leftist form of government, it is the most beguiling, because, as I say, public service has become a means of personal advancement, and the people are ignorant.

Last edited:
Well to answer your question, in america's case, especially when you're talking about Obum-uh, don't expect to see a leader that is "for the people". He only works for his own interest.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox

Not only term limits, but forbidding BY LAW to load totally unrelated pork on any bill, and line item veto for the President if and when he/she might find one.

Nothing is going to change through normal political channels, the "too big to jail" cartel has collaborators in all branches and levels of government whose sole reason for being there is keep the people from their birthright as Americans, a government that is responsive to all. It's clear after 2008 that we as a nation are trained to hate those who demand action the old fashioned way, by taking to the streets in mass protest, because that seems to be the only way to get the government to notice.

NO, that is why we need informed, responsible voters.

Not going to happen

If you operate on the belief that you can 'control' stupid people into behaving correctly by imposing limits on choice and freedom then you, sir, are a far-left liberal.

that is not a belief. That's reality.

Belief is on your part that you can educate and inform those which prefer to be brainwashed and lied to.

Education on these matters is usually quick, but only when the reality knocks at the door and into the pocket. Until then - the brainwashed stupidity is preferred by many as education and realization requires an effort, which is WORK and the brainwashed mass is generally lazy.

Not only term limits, but forbidding BY LAW to load totally unrelated pork on any bill, and line item veto for the President if and when he/she might find one.

I love this shit. Here we have our plutocrats having worked very hard to assure themselves that they will remain in power and control. And some of you think they will be willing to give up their gains..........for the rest of us.

Funny shit. Like why would they want to change anything that would decrease their control? Why would they do that?

Not going to happen

If you operate on the belief that you can 'control' stupid people into behaving correctly by imposing limits on choice and freedom then you, sir, are a far-left liberal.

If that is what you BELIEVE, then you and your far-left cohorts should look for a new country, because that's not what this one is about.

If that is what you BELIEVE, then you and your far-left cohorts should look for a new country, because that's not what this one is about.

:lol:

it is exactly what any affluent country is about.

until the reality knocks at the door.

and I will stay where I am as I feel like it :D

Obama promised to "And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely."
Obama's promise to go after earmarks 'line by line' | PolitiFact

- spend $2.6 million to make sure prostitutes in China drink less on the job.
- $1.44 million in federal funds estimating the size of the population and examining the “social milieu”
of male prostitutes in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- on-tax-dollars-spent-to-study-male-prostitutes-in-vietnam
- Washington spends $25 billion annually maintaining unused or vacant federal properties
- $24 million for routers in rural libraries the state identified 1,064 locations to place the routers, but did not investigate which of these actually needed new routers.
-$ 100 million on a harbor and airport with no boats, no airplanes, no roads and almost no people is a waste for taxpayers.
-$181,000 Smart Phone App for Picking Tennessee Farmers to help connect consumers with specialty crop producers
Wasteful Spending List | Congressman Bill Posey :: Representing the 8th District of Florida

Now if this lowly Congressman can find THESE examples WHERE IN THE HELL is the SMARTEST President who PROMISED "go line by line"????

:lol:

it is exactly what any affluent country is about.

until the reality knocks at the door.

and I will stay where I am as I feel like it :D

Enjoy your frustration, comrade. Maybe someday you'll find the courage to go somewhere more in line with your 'values.'

Forum List

Back