Following. Life imitating art or art imitating life?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
We'll see, but it looks creepy enough to rate a good viewing.
:cool:
Following
1998R70 minutes

Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight) writes and directs this odd, claustrophobic neo-noir film about a seedy young Brit (Jeremy Theobald) who's obsessed with following people -- albeit harmlessly at first. After meeting a like-minded bloke (Alex Haw), the twosome graduate to breaking and entering -- but meet their match in a tough blonde dame (Lucy Russell) who may have dubious plans of her own.

Cast:
Jeremy Theobald, Alex Haw, Lucy Russell, John Nolan, Dick Bradsell
Director:
Christopher Nolan
Genres:
Thrillers, Psychological Thrillers, Indie Suspense & Thriller, Suspense, United Kingdom, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Foreign Regions
This movie is:
Witty, Understated, Suspenseful, Mind-bending, Gritty, Dark, Cerebral
Format:
DVD and streaming

Last edited:
The other problem I have with JFK was that he had the greatest legislative genius in American history, LBJ, on the sidelines while most of JFK's legislative agenda bogged down because the Ivy League crew were so sure they were so much smarter than a Texas hick.

Last edited:
The other problem I have with JFK was that he had the greatest legislative genius in American history, LBJ, on the sidelines while most of JFK's legislative agenda bogged down because the Ivy League crew were so sure they were so much smarter than a Texas hick.

the chip on your shoulder is showing. that said, I think LBJ's accomplishments get overshadowed because like Carter and Hoover, he was a victim of the times.

He was a profile in courage when he decided not to run for reelection. That took balls.

JFK envy is so boring. get a life.

I do have to admit I admire JFK's sex life and pre-book-depository-bullet-shower hair cut.

The only man alive who could have got the Civil Rights act through that Congress was LBJ, there was no other person in the country who could have worked that phone magic. The tapes are a wonder to behold.

Obama should have listened to them and learned how a master at legislation works.

Yes, Ted really enjoyed the Senate bar. And Robert the Monroe's public service at that level attracts.

Last edited:
Yes, Ted really enjoyed the Senate bar. And Robert the Monroe's public service at that level attracts.

JFK also begged for the Cuban missile crises, he sent such weak signals to the Soviets that they thought they had a cake walk. It was a crises that a strong leader could have avoided with clear signals. (Would have never happened under Nixon.) The art of diplomacy is often waving a big stick so you do not have to use it.

What did Nixon's secret plan to end the war cost, double the lives that were lost before he was elected? And Nixon made mistakes. ''

Look at Ronald Reagan...responsible for the highest death toll of US Marines in one single day?

:doubt:

and your petty obsession with Ted is what makes most people you know roll their eyes.

unhealthy to fuck your own mind

I would not say I was obsessed with Ted, at least not his politics, but I do admire his drinking habits. A less sober Senate is a productive Senate.

As to Nixon, his draw down and train was actually establishing a South Vietnamese army that could fight, Abram's moved from body count to hold and clear and by 1973 most of South Vietnam was under that government's control.

This is why the North had to use a conventional mass invasion two years after the US withdrew forces, and more disgracefully pledged military support, because the insurgency in the South had largely been defeated.

This combined with his China triumph, would have, in a Nixon full term, placed enormous pressure on the North to come to terms with a two state solution.

Last edited:
I would not say I was obsessed with Ted, at least not his politics, but I do admire his drinking habits. A less sober Senate is a productive Senate.

As to Nixon, his draw down and train was actually establishing a South Vietnamese army that could fight, Abram's moved from body count to hold and clear and by 1973 most of South Vietnam was under that government's control.

This is why the North had to use a conventional mass invasion two years after the US withdrew forces, and more disgracefully pledged military support, because the insurgency in the South had largely been defeated.

This combined with his China triumph, would have, in a Nixon full term, placed enormous pressure on the North to come to terms with a two state solution.

Nixon was stuck in the past. Vietnam was a loser long before and he knew it. But being intelligent and arrogant, he and Kissinger sent tens of thousands of Americans and countless others, to their premature deaths.

It is certainly debatable whether JFK should have ever took a stand in Vietnam, but once comitted wars can not be lost at other than great cost.

An empire, soft or not, is a dangerous thing to give up. Or so Pericles tells us.

I think he is right, the US loss in Vietnam probably caused more death.

It is highly unlikely the Khmer Rouge would have taken Cambodia with a successful US client state in South Vietnam, certainly the mass killing the North commenced in the South after victory, the re-education camps, the million driven into the sea, those who died from privation in the decade of communist economic incompetence would not have happened.

Geo-politically, the US defeat in Vietnam emboldened the Soviets, who stepped up support for insurrections everywhere, Latin America having the largest death toll as a consequence.

But we can add places like Afghanistan which probably would not have occurred if the US had won in Vietnam. The Soviets were flush with hubris and confidence, sure the US had no answer and that direct military action in their perceived patch of dominance would go unchallenged.

When great powers cough, the world sneezes.

It is this way and no other.

Last edited:
It is certainly debatable whether JFK should have ever took a stand in Vietnam, but once comitted wars can not be lost at other than great cost.

An empire, soft or not, is a dangerous thing to give up. Or so Pericles tells us.

I think he is right, the US loss in Vietnam probably caused more death.

It is highly unlikely the Khmer Rouge would have taken Cambodia with a successful US client state in South Vietnam, certainly the mass killing the North commenced in the South after victory, the re-education camps, the million driven into the sea, those who died from privation in the decade of communist economic incompetence would not have happened.

Geo-politically, the US defeat in Vietnam emboldened the Soviets, who stepped up support for insurrections everywhere, Latin America having the largest death toll as a consequence.

But we can add places like Afghanistan which probably would not have occurred if the US had won in Vietnam. The Soviets were flush with hubris and confidence, sure the US had no answer and that direct military action in their perceived patch of dominance would go unchallenged.

When great powers cough, the world sneezes.

It is this way and no other.

not bad...
:clap2:

:lol:

Forum List

Back