Flying guinea pig: Jetpack Aviation prepares to train its first civilian pilot

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Things are developing fairly quickly in the world of Jetpack Aviation. After a bunch of public flights in Europe, the team has announced it's selected its first guinea pig civilian test pilot, who will be trained up and given the chance to fly the extraordinary JB-10 jetpack.

As we reported in November, Jetpack Aviation is ready to start taking customer orders for its extraordinary JB-series jetpacks, which fly for between five and ten minutes and can rise at a rate of up to 1,000 feet a minute.

But according to CEO David Mayman, who's also the only guy to have ever flown this thing as yet, a key part of the sales process will be training customers in how to fly safely. And before any customer orders went out, the company ran a competition to find a guinea pig to test the training process.

The results are in: the world's first "civilian" jetpack pilot will be Mischa Pollack, a video blogger best known for his "drunk tech" series. Pollack will learn the ropes at Jetpack Aviation's tethered training facility in Southern California. It's unclear at this stage whether he'll be flying drunk.

Amazing video of this in action at the end of this.

• Banned
jetpack-aviation-first-civilian-pilot-4.jpg

I dont see this taking off,pun intended, with the 5 to 10 minute flight times.

Perhaps not for civilians, but depending on the noise levels, I could see some covert military applications.

I would think hanging your ass out in the open to become a human skeet would be a bad idea,and i'm sure they're loud as all get out.

Forum List

Back