Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic*Goals

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
This is an examle of such egregious deep seated patronizing bias, it's hard to wrap my head around.

they may not know it , but aside from dressing better and not speaking corn pone, these folks are as bias as Bull Connor.

Palm Beach, Fla. (CBS TAMPA) – The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level.

For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent.

It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals « CBS Tampa

This is an examle of such egregious deep seated patronizing bias, it's hard to wrap my head around.

they may not know it , but aside from dressing better and not speaking corn pone, these folks are as bias as Bull Connor.

Palm Beach, Fla. (CBS TAMPA) – The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level.

For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent.

It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals « CBS Tampa

yah, well, an increase from 38% to 74% in 6 years aint gonna happen anyways so why not just mandate 100% for everyone? because it has already been tries and failed. NCLB

Which liberal wanker came up with this idea?

Everything they profess to be fighting, they end up promoting.

Florida State Board of Education Members

Republikan Education

The Chair of the Florida State Board of Education is Gary Chartrand – an appointee of Republican Governor Rick Scott.

The Vice Chair is Roberto Martinez, a former general council to the Dade County Republican Party Executive Committee.

Sally Bradshaw is a member of the Board and was the former senior adviser to the Florida Republican Party.

A.K. Desai, member of the Board, member of the Republican Party.

Kathleen Shanahan, member of the board, former chief of staff for Florida Republican Governor Jeb Bush.

Hey, folks – there are only seven seats on the board and at least five of them are Republicans. That means that multiple Republicans voted to pass this state-wide policy.

Republikan Education

The Chair of the Florida State Board of Education is Gary Chartrand – an appointee of Republican Governor Rick Scott.

The Vice Chair is Roberto Martinez, a former general council to the Dade County Republican Party Executive Committee.

Sally Bradshaw is a member of the Board and was the former senior adviser to the Florida Republican Party.

Kathleen Shanahan, member of the board, former chief of staff for Florida Republican Governor Jeb Bush.

Hey, folks – there are only seven seats on the board and at least five of them are Republicans. That means that multiple Republicans voted to pass this state-wide policy.

I must admit I was a bit confused when I saw even the smallest attempt to reconcile expectations to reality. now I know it was because some conservatives were on the board!

thanks bfgrn. I was worried that liberals were losing their touch for being 'out of touch'. lol

Republikan Education

I must admit I was a bit confused when I saw even the smallest attempt to reconcile expectations to reality. now I know it was because some conservatives were on the board!

thanks bfgrn. I was worried that liberals were losing their touch for being 'out of touch'. lol

I'm sure if it had turned out to be 'liberals' who imposed this, your reply would be the same...:dance:

Republikan Education

I'm sure if it had turned out to be 'liberals' who imposed this, your reply would be the same...:dance:

????

my comments on this thread and others on the same topic are consistent. I assumed they were done by liberals and I must admit I was giving them a smidge of credit for making concessions to reality. now that I know it was probably conservatives that made the decisions I dont have to adjust my opinion that liberals are out of touch with reality.

:eusa_liar:t liberals were losing their touch for being 'out of touch'. lol

????

my comments on this thread and others on the same topic are consistent. I assumed they were done by liberals and I must admit I was giving them a smidge of credit for making concessions to reality. now that I know it was probably conservatives that made the decisions I dont have to adjust my opinion that liberals are out of touch with reality.

Of course...how foolish of me...:rolleyes:

Republikan Education

and?

Republikan Education

Bradshaw and Shanahan are the only conservatives on the board. That makes two out of seven. Is counting difficult for you?

RaceIQ-mockup-SVG_2.png

I haven't read the original material but I'm wondering if this is based in preexisting racial statistics wit a move to apply a consistent standard of improvement across all races -- expect each group to improve by the same value (say, 42%) and this will result in the staggered results but reflect consistent expectations.

I am not defending it but just wondering if this is not about expecting less from any group but recognizing that if you expect the same from all groups, the results won't end up the same in terms of overall percentage.

I don't know if I am making myself clear. Again, I'm not defending any race based academic standards but if you start with one group at 5% literacy and another at 10% and expect that literacy will double, won't you end up with 10% for one group and 20% for the other?

Sure, it would be better if we simply expected 100% literacy for all groups but progress is incremental.

I haven't read the original material but I'm wondering if this is based in preexisting racial statistics wit a move to apply a consistent standard of improvement across all races -- expect each group to improve by the same value (say, 42%) and this will result in the staggered results but reflect consistent expectations.

I am not defending it but just wondering if this is not about expecting less from any group but recognizing that if you expect the same from all groups, the results won't end up the same in terms of overall percentage.

I don't know if I am making myself clear. Again, I'm not defending any race based academic standards but if you start with one group at 5% literacy and another at 10% and expect that literacy will double, won't you end up with 10% for one group and 20% for the other?

Sure, it would be better if we simply expected 100% literacy for all groups but progress is incremental.

It's about rewarding mediocrity. period. dumb-down the smart ones to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves. It's happening all over American schools.

Arthur Jensen said-
"If diversity of mental abilities, as of most other human characteristics, is a basic fact of nature, as the evidence indicates, and if the ideal of universal education is to be successfully pursued, it seems a reasonable conclusion that schools and society must provide a range and diversity of educational methods, programs, and goals, and of occupational opportunities, just as wide as the range of human abilities. Accordingly, the ideal of equality of educational opportunity should not be interpreted as uniformity of facilities, instructional techniques, and educational aims for all children. Diversity rather than uniformity of approaches and aims would seem to be the key to making education rewarding for children of different patterns of ability. The reality of individual differences thus need not mean educational rewards for some children and frustration and defeat for others."

this is true for all children, regardless of race.

Forum List

Back