Fix the Problem..

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A former civilian naval engineer from Virginia pleaded not guilty in Rhode Island on Tuesday to charges stemming from what prosecutors say was a bribery and fraud scheme that cost the U.S. Navy about $10 million over 15 years.

Ralph M. Mariano, 54, of South Arlington, Va., and his 80-year-old father, Ralph Mariano Jr., of North Providence, were indicted after three others accused in the plot pleaded guilty to charges and agreed to cooperate with federal authorities.

Prosecutors allege Ralph M. Mariano, a former naval civilian engineer, used his authority at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport and his oversight of certain Navy contracts to arrange for naval funds to be funneled back to him directly or through other companies from 1996 until January 2011.

Man pleads not guilty in Navy kickbacks case - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

We all are well aware of our Governments issues with spending and deficits or at least I hope so. Given this as a small example here , one would think that Congress rather than spending time looking at and cuts first in an effort to save money without the need to actually reform such things are not going accomplish much. It further gives the impression that Government is unwilling to do the hard work needed to change the way in which Departments do business.

UPDATED, 5: 02 p.m. More than 100 military contractors providing everything from aircraft to wrist cuffs for gloves committed civil or criminal fraud between 2007 and 2009, according to a report from the Department of Defense, yet many continued to receive funds from the department – including some barred from contracting.

The Pentagon report found that 30 contractors had been convicted of fraud between 2007 and 2009, and 91 had been the subject of civil judgments over fraud claims; some companies appeared on both lists. In addition, 120 companies had reached settlements over claims. Forty-three companies were suspended, and 164 were debarred from contracting.
Department of Defense report outlines contractor fraud - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe - Boston.com

Ugh. Don't get me started on defense contractors ripping off the military. I could tell you some tales that still piss me off lo these many years later.

That is why I refused a very lucrative position at one of the contractors when I retired. They dangled an awesome income in front of me because I had a skill only about a dozen people in the world had, but I felt like I would have been joining the enemy. I could not stomach the thought of signing on with them.

It gave me great pleasure to give them a piece of my mind now that I was no longer in uniform. It was a very expensive piece of mind, but worth every goddam penny.

Not that it made any difference, but I still feel good about it and I can sleep at night.

Last edited:
I think anyone getting paid by government gets greedy. They know the government doesn't stick to any budget, so the cost is irrelevant. They also know the government doesn't check into things most of the time, so getting caught isn't a big worry. I am glad that some do get caught and wish we'd look harder at the bills companies send so we could catch more of them.

It's weird that the Obama administration makes companies disclose contributions to politicians when being considered for a government contract. I don't think this will affect fraud, but there must be a reason.

g5000, this topic is one thats sort of near and dear to me. I have for years advocated that DOD has been a sheer bucket in which taxpayers throw money into and someone tosses a match on. I feel the same you do and can name you off the top of my head many programs that have cost billions with ZERO result . Frankly, when I see this cut cut cut mentality that everyone seems to have and virtually no one advocating actually fixing the base problem it seems to me a complete waste of time. If anyone wants to see a an example in which a Defense program does not need to be run and cost overruns, they need look no futher than the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. This "pig" has been a DOD project now for over 12 years now and is just now starting its initial training for the services. It was originally sold to the USAF and USN and Marines as a joint services aircarft and with common parts would reduce costs and be much cheaper than the F-22 which is a vastly superior aircraft. Well after years of overruns and contrator problems the unit costs have risen to the point where this aircraft will be pretty close to the unit cost of the F-22. Thats just one example and people think, it's just the spending thats the problem.

Forum List

Back