First woman to try to become a navy SEAL rings the bell after the first week....

The truth, you mean. Women are in the military because they are needed. Why are they needed? Because there are not enough trumpanzee snowflakes qualified to join the military.

Libtards like you always refer to the "truth" as if it is a legitimate substitute for rational debate. What a fine naval officer you must have been, given the disdain you have for the majority of our military personnel who voted for Trump. Enjoy your retirement. Good riddance.

I applaud the young lady for trying, having said that I know some pretty tough guys that washed out as well, the cards were certainly stacked against her.

On the larger question of women in certain combat roles, the experiences of the Israelis' is telling. I've read a number of articles citing the huge number of women suffering injuries in the Israeli military. The most common seems to be stress related, physical not mental. Stress fractures and the like are rampant. It is usually blamed on the enormous weights these folks are expected to lug around endlessly. I have no problem with women assuming any role they're qualified for but Israel seems to be questioning the price of lifelong health problems many of these women face afterwards.

Talk to Marine and Army infantrymen. They have many of the same problems. I know of several Marines who had to become medically retired because their knees gave out from hauling their house around on their backs. So, the problem isn't just with the females. Men have some of the same problems.
Agreed, I was just noting what I've read from the Israelis. The difference was in the numbers, there were way, way more women suffering these injuries. From listening to the discussions I got the feeling they weren't looking at this as a gender issue but as resource utilization issue. It makes no sense to keep putting people in positions where 45% of them are going to be physically unable to carry out their duties in a year and may suffer health problems for life.

I will say one thing, it was nice to hear people having an intelligent discussion on the subject, without the constant blather of gender equity crap.

Top marks for trying but obviously she is unable to meet the Seals demanding physical requirements.

You have to ask the question whether women generally would be physically capable enough to join the Seals, and let's hope the feminists don't demand that these requirements are not lowered just to keep them happy in the name of equality, political correctness, blah, blah, blah.

Top marks for trying but obviously she is unable to meet the Seals demanding physical requirements.

You have to ask the question whether women generally would be physically capable enough to join the Seals, and let's hope the feminists don't demand that these requirements are not lowered just to keep them happy in the name of equality, political correctness, blah, blah, blah.

no matter how much the leftards scream and cry and demand that the standards be lowered aint gonna happen

no matter how much the leftards scream and cry and demand that the standards be lowered aint gonna happen

Let's hope so! :thup:

Talk to Marine and Army infantrymen. They have many of the same problems. I know of several Marines who had to become medically retired because their knees gave out from hauling their house around on their backs. So, the problem isn't just with the females. Men have some of the same problems.

As a former Army infantryman (11 Bravo) I know what physical stresses are put on soldiers in the field. In the case of knee injuries, women are much more likely to suffer them because of their less substantial ligament structure.

I applaud the young lady for trying, having said that I know some pretty tough guys that washed out as well, the cards were certainly stacked against her.

On the larger question of women in certain combat roles, the experiences of the Israelis' is telling. I've read a number of articles citing the huge number of women suffering injuries in the Israeli military. The most common seems to be stress related, physical not mental. Stress fractures and the like are rampant. It is usually blamed on the enormous weights these folks are expected to lug around endlessly. I have no problem with women assuming any role they're qualified for but Israel seems to be questioning the price of lifelong health problems many of these women face afterwards.

Agreed, I was just noting what I've read from the Israelis. The difference was in the numbers, there were way, way more women suffering these injuries. From listening to the discussions I got the feeling they weren't looking at this as a gender issue but as resource utilization issue. It makes no sense to keep putting people in positions where 45% of them are going to be physically unable to carry out their duties in a year and may suffer health problems for life.

I will say one thing, it was nice to hear people having an intelligent discussion on the subject, without the constant blather of gender equity crap.

You know, I think it has more to do with body size than it does with gender. The guys that I knew who were medically retired were all little dudes like me, about 130 lbs and 5 ft 6. I know that I'd probably have a pretty tough time of it if I had to lug around anywhere from 45 to 70 lbs on my back. One of the reasons I joined the Navy by the way. While I look at camping as an enjoyable hobby, it leaves a bit to be desired as a full on lifestyle. I like the fact that the Navy let me take my house (the ship) with me. Nothing like having good air conditioning in the middle of the Persian Gulf, when the outside temp is around 100 to 105.

Let's hope so! :thup:

Have you ever known any SEALs Skye? I can assure you that the standards will NEVER drop for SEAL training. Why? Because all the instructors are active duty SEALs, who know that there is a possibility of the personnel they train being on the teams with them later, and they want only the most highly qualified personnel watching their back.

They won't lower the standards for several reasons. One was the first that I just named, and another is that their trainers put THEM through hell to get their Budweiser (SEAL emblem, so named because it kinda looks like the Budweiser symbol), and so they aren't going to take it easy on the people they train.

Kinda the same mentality that goes along with becoming a Shellback. Once you have crossed the equator for the first time as a wog (pollywog) and have gone through the initiation, you remember everything done to you and can't wait to do it to someone else.

How long? My entire life....and am retired Navy and have, as a Officer, on occasion, submitted with recommendations some of my sailors for the SEAL program. And my wife was in a support squadron whose main responsibility was ferrying SEAL teams to forward staging areas.

And YOUR expertise in this field is?

My entire life in the military, government and private sectors. But you ignored my point about unlimited occupational positions. Are you suggesting that the SEALs are authorized an unlimited number of positions and accept all who apply?

See post 36 about application to the SEAL program. No, they don't accept all who apply. Out of the 1000 who apply, only about 100 are accepted. Out of the 100 accepted for training, only 25 to 30 make it through.

However...............that being said.....................she DID make it through the application process, she apparently had a successful interview with an active SEAL, as well as her service record must have been impressive enough to be selected for the training.

Are you saying you know better than actual active duty SEALs who should and shouldn't be considered for training? Her commanding officer saw something in her, the SEAL who interviewed her saw something, she passed the initial physical test and the board who determines who is and isn't accepted for training apparently thought she was qualified. Who are you to second guess all those people?
The selection process in the military is amazing. My best friend's son has recently become a marine pilot. My buddy was at an open house type event for the families and spent some time talking with one of the higher ranking officers. He said that for something like the 10 spots he just filled the original number of people that tried to get there was like 30,000. That may of course go all the way back to when people first joined up and were asked what they wanted to do, I don't know but I had a little bit of a window into it. Every new "school" he went to would start with 300, 20 would move on. The wildest part is the quality of the folks not moving on. By the second round of schools these kids were absolute gems. Engineering degrees up the wazoo.

It was also amazing how little it takes to get kicked out. He told us a story of a young lady who was very highly thought of. On a night of base she had a few too many drinks and got loud and silly. gone the next day.

You know, I think it has more to do with body size than it does with gender. The guys that I knew who were medically retired were all little dudes like me, about 130 lbs and 5 ft 6. I know that I'd probably have a pretty tough time of it if I had to lug around anywhere from 45 to 70 lbs on my back. One of the reasons I joined the Navy by the way. While I look at camping as an enjoyable hobby, it leaves a bit to be desired as a full on lifestyle. I like the fact that the Navy let me take my house (the ship) with me. Nothing like having good air conditioning in the middle of the Persian Gulf, when the outside temp is around 100 to 105.
Agreed. I know that during training the seals actually put the little guys on one team that they call the smurfs. Plus 45-70 pounds? Try 110. I'm an avid backpacker and believe me I invented ultralight, lol. One guy I know that was a seal is about my size 5' 9", 150, kinda tells you that he is one tough sob.

I can assure you that the standards will NEVER drop for SEAL training.

As they have done for police and firefighters?

I see you cherry picked my post, because I gave you two very good reasons that SEALs will never slack off on their training. One, is that the trainers know there is a very good chance they will be on a team with one of their trainees eventually. They also want the trainees to suffer just as much as they did when they went through BUDs. And no, the mentality of fire fighters and police officers is a completely different type of thing than what SEALs have. Have you ever actually met or known a SEAL? I've been stationed with a few, and know a couple of others.

Agreed. I know that during training the seals actually put the little guys on one team that they call the smurfs. Plus 45-70 pounds? Try 110. I'm an avid backpacker and believe me I invented ultralight, lol. One guy I know that was a seal is about my size 5' 9", 150, kinda tells you that he is one tough sob.

That's pretty much the size they like 'em. Big enough to be strong, small enough that you can pack a lot of them in a plane.

That's pretty much the size they like 'em. Big enough to be strong, small enough that you can pack a lot of them in a plane.
I don't know, I've met a lot of 6' 1", 6' 2" special forces guys. Many years ago I saw some guys start a fight in a bar with a couple of 6' 2 " rangers. Talk about clearing a bar, it was over in about 8 seconds. True to their colors they put the idiots down then walked away.

I agree, but that is beside the point: Political correctness has overwhelmed rational discourse and is threatening to destroy our country from within. All men (and women) are not created with equal abilities, and insisting otherwise only creates resentment, division and hostility within our society.
Do you have a problem with women trying to meet the standards that are already there?
Only when they usurp a more qualified candidate's opportunity to try.
Do you have any proof that that has happened? They have new classes come in every few months.....they have to because 75% wash out.
Not saying they do or don't. But we have gov-mandated demographic quotas all over the place and double standards everywhere so the concern is legit. And you know it.
In the military? In order to get accepted into the SEAL program? Prove it.
The military academies.

Good for her to try. It would be good for Spec-Ops to have qualified female members. It would help a team blend in more.

Yeah, those SWCC boats need a woman in a bikini to blend in while patrolling the Euphrates River.

My daughter in the Army. In her combat uniform she looks like just another soldier. You would be hard pressed to pick her out of a line up.

I don't know, I've met a lot of 6' 1", 6' 2" special forces guys. Many years ago I saw some guys start a fight in a bar with a couple of 6' 2 " rangers. Talk about clearing a bar, it was over in about 8 seconds. True to their colors they put the idiots down then walked away.

The ones you must look out for are about 5' 8" tall and can bench press a bus!

Do you have a problem with women trying to meet the standards that are already there?
Only when they usurp a more qualified candidate's opportunity to try.
Do you have any proof that that has happened? They have new classes come in every few months.....they have to because 75% wash out.
Not saying they do or don't. But we have gov-mandated demographic quotas all over the place and double standards everywhere so the concern is legit. And you know it.
In the military? In order to get accepted into the SEAL program? Prove it.
The military academies.

What about them?

Forum List

Back