Fire season

Discussion in 'Environment' started by westwall, Sep 24, 2012.

1. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,721
    So 'rare' it has a name!:lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,221
    Lmao

3. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    Well, westwall, there have been a number of fires, and according to at least one California news source, the Kern Valley Sun, the season is still on.

One thing that is smart to have in your safety deposit box are the following items, in the event that you have a fire:

We're having some family issues with a senior member of the family who is forgetting a lot of simple things, and are assembling our list to take down to the safe deposit box. We should have done this sooner, but since we've been doing that all day today, and I read the list, it gave me some good ideas.

Thank you for mentioning it's fire season.

Every year for 25 years at my business, the fire inspector comes by the shop and inspects the premises for compliance with the city fire code. One day he was there, and I asked him what was the most important thing one could do that would save more homes and businesses and prevent more losses from fire? He said, "That's easy." Put new batteries in all the smoke/fire alarm devices in the home. A lot of people have fire alarms in kitchen, central air/heaters, and workshop/soldering areas in their garages. There should be a smoke alarm in each child's bedroom and the master bedroom, too. At least you can get out safe that way.

My cousin's husband died in a house fire two months ago. I guess that's why I opened this thread up, with the thought of fire so close to home. His life would have been saved if my cousin had put batteries in her smoke detectors in the last 12 months.

Fire is nothing to figure it will not ever happen to you.

4. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,721

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Becki. Fire is a terrible way to go. I lost one home to wildfire many, many years ago and still live in a wildfire area, so defensive space and preparedness are paramount.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,879
    Arsonist gets death sentence...
    :clap2:
    Jury: Death for arsonist convicted of 5 murders
    Sep 28,`12 -- A jury on Friday recommended death for an arsonist convicted of murdering five men who died of heart attacks during a wildfire that ripped through Southern California nearly a decade ago.