Finally! 'real' cops do something about 'wannabes' with egos.

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Not sure about everyone else, obviously, but I get annoyed as heck when I speak with either security guards, military police, or other 'sorta' law enforcement ppl who attempt to make themselves seem MORE important by associating their line of work with REAL cops. It just doesn't happen in the Law Enf. area; I knew a guy who'd go around telling people he was 'Combat Communications' in the Army. When I questioned him - because NO such Military Occupational Specialty exists as 'CombatCommo', he said:

"I'm a 31C - but assigned to a combat infantry unit"

Folks, what he was doing would be EXACTLY like a Motorpool Mechanic claiming to be a 'combat mechanic'. A 31C works out of a motorpool usually, or centered around other maintenece workers. From time to time one could easily see combat - even a cook or supply could see combat (Jessica Lynch).
However, what this guy was doing was trying to make his rather mundane, non-glamorous-but-essential-and-technical job seem more 'hard'. More "Hooah". It's a classic case of a guy without a combat arms job feeling a bit inadiquate.

So - I present to you a few dumb-ass loser security guards GOING TO JAIL for trying to get all tough with the average citizen!

:D

Security Guards Accused Of Impersonating Police

May 20, 2005

By Mark Miller

LAKEWOOD - Lakewood police arrested the owner of a Pierce County security company Thursday for investigation of impersonating a police officer.

The arrest comes after a man complained he was harassed and arrested by a group of security guards that identified themselves as being associated with the Lakewood Police Department.

"I felt very violated," Dave Clemmons said. "They had nice, decorated-out, blue uniforms and utility belts."

Dave said he was driving from his home in Ballard to his brother's place in Aberdeen early Sunday morning when he started to get sleepy. He decided to pull off the freeway to take a short nap in a Lakewood shopping center parking lot.

"I wake up to a bright light shining in my face and a security guard saying in a rude manner 'You can't be here and you need to leave.' "

Dave said there were at least two security cars and four guards surrounding his vehicle at this point.

After the guard allegedly used foul language, Dave asked to see a supervisor to file a complaint. That's when another security car came from across the lot to join the group. The man in that third car identified himself as the supervisor.

"I need your I.D. to check for warrants," Dave recalled the supervisor saying. "That's when I said I just want to lodge a complaint. He says 'I need to check you for warrants.' I said 'you guys are just security guards.'"

Dave told us that's when the supervisor grabbed his arm, twisted it behind his back, and handcuffed him. The guards then placed Dave in the back of one security car.

After they released Dave, he called 911 and reported the incident to Lakewood police. By Thursday afternoon, Lakewood police arrested a man they identified as the owner of a company called Pierce County Crime Prevention Services.

Lakewood police also seized four of the company's cars, some of which they said may be illegally outfitted with lights similar to real police cars.

"We can't have people going around and just painting a car and passing themselves off as police officers and doing who knows what," said Lt. Russell Harris. "It undermines the trust the public has in us, and that trust is something we highly value and do not want to violate."

Investigators say the security guards that harassed Dave Clemmons told him that night they were affiliated with Lakewood police. Lt. Harris says not only is that absolutely false, but that the security company's guards are not licensed. Police have not ruled out more arrests in this case.

The seized vehicles are covered with authentic looking police decals that include a website. A man who answered the company's listed phone number refused to talk about the arrest or the details of this story.

Dave Clemmons said he called KOMO 4 News for help because he knew what happened to him was wrong. He also wanted to stop the security guards from harassing and possibly hurting anybody else.

"Now I know I was the last person," Dave says. "And now it won't happen to anybody else."

Ha, those jerks are probably pissing in their pants now. They felt so bad ass on that night, now they in the pokey. "So, buddy, what are you in here for...." Yeah, I'd watch my back too.

What's even worse is actual criminals posing as police and pulling people over to rob/kill/rape them. It's happened in the NYC suburbs, I think. So what are people supposed to do when the flashers go on behind them?

William Joyce said:
What's even worse is actual criminals posing as police and pulling people over to rob/kill/rape them. It's happened in the NYC suburbs, I think. So what are people supposed to do when the flashers go on behind them?

Law enforcement officer...if you are not comfortable drive to the nearest law enforcement office...run inside and explain your situation...let the professionals handle it! :dunno:

This is a major problem, there are tons of wannbe's out there.

I was a deputy sheriff for 8 years myself. And I am currently working in security. But one thing I tell all new guys that hire on is "Your not a cop your job is to observe and report." Too often people hire on thinking they have some kind of authority over people because they have a badge. I have seen many cases of similar incidents in the past and the wannabe's always lose. They are also subject to criminal prosecution and lawsuits.

I too have run into many military wannabe's. Some are actual vets trying to embelish to seem more important, even though what they did was already important. Others are total phoneys. I was 11B, and it doesn't take long talking to someone to know if they are for real or not. As for combat commo, that would be just another 11b with a radio on his back. Usually an FNG.

Like all phoneys they do the rest of us a great disservice. Especially phoney cops. As they can actually endanger people.

In some cases a security guard can detain someone, but only until the police arrive. You never have to give up your ID or anything to them. If someone does try to detain you tell them you will stay right there until the police arrive. And that you want them to call the police. In the situation of the above article that guy can not only press charges, but can sue the security company and the company that hired them.

This guy wasn't even that, Gaffer - he was a straight 31C...commo guy...like a supply guy or a maint guy attached to an infantry battalion.

:)

Forum List

Back