Film made from "The Road"

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Last night I went to the theatre to see "The Hurt Locker" which was pretty instense, pretty gruesome, not really political (but could be made to be if you filter things that way), and all around pretty good.

This thread is not about that film.

Its about the preview I saw before the film. It seems, and maybe I'm the last to know since I don't read Etertainment Weeklty or watch etertainment news or any kind of tv but public tv for that matter, but Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" has been made into a film!

I'm sure many of us literate-types on this board have read the book, and for those who haven't I highly recommend it. Its visceral, its intense, its dark (I mean, it is a Cormac McCarthy book - but its dark even for him), and its a quick read.

The movie stars Viggo Mortensen as the "man", Charlize Theron as his wife, and a new face as the "boy". It looks like its been "hollywooded" up a little, but I'm very interested in seeing it nonetheless (kinda like The Lord of the Rings movies, I knew they were going to be huge, in-your-face, over-the-top, blockbuster Hollywood movies, but had to see'em anyway). Also making appearances are Guy Pearce and Robert Duvall (and everyone loves Robert Duvall).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY]YouTube - The Road - Official Trailer [HD][/ame]

Oh man, I LOVE that book.

I have a thread on here somewhere about books we love made into movies, what ones got it right, and what ones got it wrong.

I hate it when a beloved book gets turned into Hollywood Crap, just to please the mass sheep out there.

Why is the wife in the movie, she wasn't in the book? Bummer.

But it still gave me some goosebumbs, because I know what happens...........

We were discussing "The Road" in another thread.

Who is excited about the movie?

This movie is getting a lot of early Oscar buzz, too. Mortensen is due another nomination. He's one of the best in the business right now, and if the word on the street is accurate, this performance is just as good as, if not better than, Eastern Promises. He was also amazing in A History of Violence, but was ignored by the Academy that year.

Forum List

Back