Gi joe

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
Remember this is a movie based on toys,
I expected a rotten story line and great special effects.
The movie storyline was far better then I anticipated , so it was not as mindless as it could have been .
A fair effort was made at character development,The scenery and sets were excellent .
The effects delivered But don't look to deeply into the physics of the action sequences.
I was a fun movie , pure eye candy, suitable for kids unless you object to violence with no noticeable foul language or sexual images .
The sequel will be better , but not much.

Good to hear, since I suspect I will taking my younger boy to see this at some point. I'm hoping he'll forget about the talking guinea pig movie.

Good to hear, since I suspect I will taking my younger boy to see this at some point. I'm hoping he'll forget about the talking guinea pig movie.

poop in his hand...poop in his hand.....

dont ask me why but that cracks me up every time i hear it...

lol. I will admit that part of the preview made me laugh. But the rest looks like it might be able to top Madagascar 2 in terms of parent torture.

lol. I will admit that part of the preview made me laugh. But the rest looks like it might be able to top Madagascar 2 in terms of parent torture.

Heh, counting sheep is out.

Madagascar 2 is in.

Well, I don't expect "character development" or a complicated plot from what started out as an action figure back when I was a kid. It was better than expected, and it's suitable for young boys to see, depending on whether or not you're raising your boy to be a man. It does contain violence. I would, for instance, take my 9 year old nephew to see it but not a 5 year old.

For those of us who grew up with the original GI Joe, this movie does it justice. It's tailored to the second generation GI Joe (the one that was smaller than Barbie----yeah, we know why they changed the size!), it's a great movie.

I had fun.

The movie storyline was far better then I anticipated , so it was not as mindless as it could have been .
A fair effort was made at character development,The scenery and sets were excellent .
The effects delivered But don't look to deeply into the physics of the action sequences.
I was a fun movie , pure eye candy, suitable for kids unless you object to violence with no noticeable foul language or sexual images .

Wow I heard the movie SUCKED! I also most got dragged to it this weekend (sometimes the wife's guilt trips work to your advantage). My 2 buddies said it was horrible!

Seems the critics agree that it was horrible. Around the water cooler today, I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it!

G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra Made My IQ Drop! - iReport.com
D+ average is not good:
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) - Critics Reviews - Yahoo! Movies
Rotten Tomoates gives it a big thumbs down!
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

You always have to be wary of a movie that doesn't allow pre-critics viewing, since you know it has something to hide!

Wow I heard the movie SUCKED! I also most got dragged to it this weekend (sometimes the wife's guilt trips work to your advantage). My 2 buddies said it was horrible!

Seems the critics agree that it was horrible. Around the water cooler today, I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it!

D+ average is not good:

You always have to be wary of a movie that doesn't allow pre-critics viewing, since you know it has something to hide!

Yeah, and letting some critic's opinion make your decision for you is.......? This movie is two hours of tanks, jets, helicopters, submarines with soldiers and supervillains, no different than when kids played pretend except now it's on the big screen with whiz-bang special effects.

Perhaps you're expecting something Shakespearian?

It's an action flick with massive special effects ... anyone expecting more will be disappointed. I will be seeing this one myself, on DVD probably. But as long as it's fast moving and has a lot of explosions, I'll like it, since that's all I expect of action flicks. They need to stop pushing to mix everything into movies, it's just not possible. Now we have romance (ie sex) scenes in horror and sci-fi ... as long as GIJoe doesn't have too much of that romance crap, it will rock. ;)

Sorry if I like a little more than expensive special effects in my action movies. Is a good storyline and good acting too much to ask for? I like action flicks with great storylines, great acting, great character development and smooth flows in the mold of the Dark Night and Saving Private Ryan and less like Terminator 4 and Miracle at St. Anna!

You know some critics you are agree with and some you don't, but when they are nearly unanimously against a movie you can bet with certainty that a movie sucks big time. Alao you always have to be wary of a movie that doesn't allow prescreening, because they have something to hide!

D+ average is not good:

Yeah, and letting some critic's opinion make your decision for you is.......? This movie is two hours of tanks, jets, helicopters, submarines with soldiers and supervillains, no different than when kids played pretend except now it's on the big screen with whiz-bang special effects.

Perhaps you're expecting something Shakespearian?

yep, that about sums it up, had a good time seeing it.

I took my two youngest to see this (16 yr old special needs son who loves action movies and 12 yr old daughter). I was surprised my daughter said she wanted to see this.

The movie was pretty much as Mr. Fitnah stated. It's very action filled and very fast-paced -- so much so that sometimes my eyes were spinning watching it all up on that huge movie screen. Might be easier to watch on dvd.

There was back story on a lot of the characters which was nice because I thought it would all be just boom, boom, pow, pow. The character of Rip Cord provided comic relief (I liked him the best).

Familiar faces are in it. Rachel Nichols (she played Rachel in the last season of Alias); Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr. Echo from Lost); Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tommy from Third Rock from the Sun); Marlon Wayans (of the Wayans brothers). Dennis Quaid was horribly miscast in this movie, imo.

It's a fun movie for kids. There is some language (shit 3 times or so; asshole a few times; bastard a few times) so if your kids are younger just be aware of this. No sex stuff except for Rachel Nichols and Sienna Miller wearing low cut tops and skin-tight fitting outfits. They looked great in them, btw. ;)

My biggest complaint about this movie is the sound. It's waaay toooo fuckkkking louddddd!!!! Seriously - painfully loud. My son's hearing is much more sensitive than most people's (he wears glasses and his vision in one eye is low, which he compensates for with his hearing I guess). Anyway, I wish I had bought earplugs for him. My daughter didn't mind the loudness of it but during the action scenes even I was plugging my ears with my fingers like my son was doing.

Oh, and based on the the ending of this movie - - - - there will be a sequel!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back