Filibuster: continued talk or go to lunch/home?

Gem said:
So the minority party uses the filibuster to make sure that their point is heard? How is reading the phone book, talking about recipes, etc. furthering the democratic process?

Why not just say, every single person in the Congress has 30 minutes before any vote to make their point heard....their statement must relate to why we should or should not vote a certain way?
the filibuster is used because the majority is not interested in the minority point. Thats THE problem. When the majority overrides the minority simply because it has at least one more vote than the minority is when the peoples government is no more, a failure, and should be thrown out and started over.

ok, maybe thats going too far, but because one side is so focused on forcing their particular ideals and 'vision' on the whole of america (lets not forget that over 40% DID vote democrat) we don't have a representative government, we have a tyranny.

Kathianne said:
Again, read the Federalist Papers, Rousseau, Robert's Rules of Order, British Parliamentary system...

Democracy can quickly swirl into tyranny, so can a Republic-lest you forget the Caesar followed the Republic? There are many checks and balances, seperations of power inserted into our founding documents to try and avoid these problems.

guess we can't moan when our congress is impotent--we should be grateful we don't have tyranny. :rolleyes:

SmarterThanYou said:
the filibuster is used because the majority is not interested in the minority point. Thats THE problem. When the majority overrides the minority simply because it has at least one more vote than the minority is when the peoples government is no more, a failure, and should be thrown out and started over.

ok, maybe thats going too far, but because one side is so focused on forcing their particular ideals and 'vision' on the whole of america (lets not forget that over 40% DID vote democrat) we don't have a representative government, we have a tyranny.

So where do you draw the line at this "representation?" At 80%, at 90%? So if a party, whom generally represents the interests of the people who voted for them has this big of a majority, you still believe that the 10% or 20% should have the power to effectively bring to a halt, the other 90%? Am I understanding you?

I know full well, that dems may be in some day, however, when they were, much got passed under their ideology. Why are they cring like babies now when the roles are reversed? This is what the "vote" is about. Me, I can do nothing, but VOTE the person in office who will most likely represent me. THAT is my VOTE. MY voice. If that is being squashed by my neighbor (lets assume iraq and sunni if you will) who is in the minority simply because he can filibuster, is this fair? Is this representative of my vote?

Yurt said:
So where do you draw the line at this "representation?" At 80%, at 90%? So if a party, whom generally represents the interests of the people who voted for them has this big of a majority, you still believe that the 10% or 20% should have the power to effectively bring to a halt, the other 90%? Am I understanding you?
what halt has been brought? 95% of the nominees concerning this whole issue have been confirmed? With the insanity that the republicans in charge are using to push this issue, it makes me wonder what kind of totalitarian scheme they have in mind in the future that will concern THESE judges.

Yurt said:
I know full well, that dems may be in some day, however, when they were, much got passed under their ideology. Why are they cring like babies now when the roles are reversed? This is what the "vote" is about. Me, I can do nothing, but VOTE the person in office who will most likely represent me. THAT is my VOTE. MY voice. If that is being squashed by my neighbor (lets assume iraq and sunni if you will) who is in the minority simply because he can filibuster, is this fair? Is this representative of my vote?
key word that you used is MUCH. MUCH is being passed now, yet over less than a dozen nominees and now we have a political party trying to drive a wedge between the nation in order to pass ALL of their agenda. Is THAT fair?

SmarterThanYou said:
what halt has been brought? 95% of the nominees concerning this whole issue have been confirmed? With the insanity that the republicans in charge are using to push this issue, it makes me wonder what kind of totalitarian scheme they have in mind in the future that will concern THESE judges.

key word that you used is MUCH. MUCH is being passed now, yet over less than a dozen nominees and now we have a political party trying to drive a wedge between the nation in order to pass ALL of their agenda. Is THAT fair?

Republicans aren't as lock-stepped as you would lead us to believe.----May be they simply want to balance out what the Dems did and that's how the balance system is suppsed to work.

SmarterThanYou said:
thats completely disingenious and intellectually dishonest. What part did the citizens of texas or california have in electing frist? what part did the citizens of illinois have in electing tom delay?

we have 50 states in this union, not one. those 50 states elect representatives according to their ideas and its a travesty to the constitution and a major injustice to this country to ignore or override their representation in the government body because the other out of the other 49 states, a majority of them happened to vote the opposite that they did. thats not how this country has EVER worked, nor has it ever supposed to have been that way.

It is a representation of the people. For years we've hadto listen to a radical left wing nut in Ted Kennedy spout off about anything he wants because he came from a state that chose him to represent their ideals. So when people elect representatives, their ideals are heard. If their are enough representatives to make a majority of the same ideals then those are the ones to get passed. Its happened since the begining of this country. If you dont like who represents your state, then you better campaign harder to get someone to represent you next time. You dont whine about it and say no fair. You work to get your reps in there while trying to persuade those there to hear your side. If they dont like your ideas though, dont cry about it.

SmarterThanYou said:

When exactly did you go insane?

rtwngAvngr said:
But you got sensible there for awhile, then you went nuts again.

:shrug:
then point out to me where ANY of this makes any sense, show me where I'm the one insane on this issue, because all I'm seeing is a party of powermad and powerhungry maniacs bent on swallowing up the nation. :cuckoo:

SmarterThanYou said:
then point out to me where ANY of this makes any sense, show me where I'm the one insane on this issue, because all I'm seeing is a party of powermad and powerhungry maniacs bent on swallowing up the nation. :cuckoo:

Which party are you talking about?

dilloduck said:
Which party are you talking about?
both. don't make the misguided assumption that i'm completely on the democrats side on this. Thats a big problem with alot of people, they assume that you're either one side or the other. thats how parties LOSE elections, they forget the independent middle america.

SmarterThanYou said:
both. don't make the misguided assumption that i'm completely on the democrats side on this. Thats a big problem with alot of people, they assume that you're either one side or the other. thats how parties LOSE elections, they forget the independent middle america.

Unfortunately that group seems to be getting smaller after years of partisan politics and the issues that have arisen have very ardent proponents and opponents.

dilloduck said:
Unfortunately that group seems to be getting smaller after years of partisan politics and the issues that have arisen have very ardent proponents and opponents.
what group are you talking about? the independent middle?
Its not that they are getting smaller, they are tired of wasting their breath and not being heard so they are voting silently.

SmarterThanYou said:
what group are you talking about? the independent middle?
Its not that they are getting smaller, they are tired of wasting their breath and not being heard so they are voting silently.

If they are just waiting for someone to come along to lead them, they are going to be disappointed.

SmarterThanYou said:

You're seeing a party willing to take on the lefties and their insane attitudes towards economics and world affairs.

rtwngAvngr said:
You're seeing a party willing to take on the lefties and their insane attitudes towards economics and world affairs.
then I'd like a pair of the glasses you are wearing, because thats not what I've been seeing for 2 years now.

SmarterThanYou said:
then I'd like a pair of the glasses you are wearing, because thats not what I've been seeing for 2 years now.

It is what you're seeing. You're the one with fun house glasses. America has rejected the leftis agenda. That's why the left is fighting so hard to keep their lefty ninnys in control of the judiciary. This is their last rampart. Their only hope to accomplish their agenda is to ram it down our throats through judicial fiat. Filibustering judicial nominees is a new pathetic low. Surely you can see that.

rtwngAvngr said:
It is what you're seeing. You're the one with fun house glasses. America has rejected the leftis agenda. That's why the left is fighting so hard to keep their lefty ninnys in control of the judiciary. This is their last rampart. Their only hope to accomplish their agenda is to ram it down our throats through judicial fiat. Filibustering judicial nominees is a new pathetic low. Surely you can see that.
you know what I see with this? :blah2: :blah2: :blah2: :blah2:
I'm really kind of tired of seeing the blind assault on the left/blind justification on the right for ANYTHING. I'm getting rather tired of it all from everyone.

SmarterThanYou said:
you know what I see with this? :blah2: :blah2: :blah2: :blah2:
I'm really kind of tired of seeing the blind assault on the left/blind justification on the right for ANYTHING. I'm getting rather tired of it all from everyone.

Yes. The truth, being constant, can be tedious.

Forum List

Back