'Fight them over there vs. over here' a false choice

so you'd be fine with Saddam Hussein controlling 75 percent of the world's oil?

How would this have happened?

He wasn't going to stop at Kuwait. he was going to take over Saudi Arabia and probably the entire peninsula. That must be close to 75 percent.

Well one interesting anecdote about that is Osama offered to defend Saudi Arabia from Saddam in 1991 if it became necessary. However, Iraq was a third-world country. I find Iraq taking over the entire peninsula to be highly unlikely. They couldn't even defeat Iran which was a single country, let alone take over many different countries.

Well we should never have been there in the first place, but that about sums it up.
Did you see this bit of news yesterday:

Yesterday, the National Security Archive released declassified FBI reports detailing both the bureau’s interrogations and “casual conversations” with former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. According to the documents, Hussein told FBI agent George Piro (one of only a few agents who spoke Arabic) that he let the world believe he had weapons of mass destruction because he feared appearing weak to what he considered his country’s real threat, Iran:
Think Progress » Saddam Hussein Considered ‘Security Agreement’ With U.S. To Counter Threat From ‘Fanatics’ In Iran

Apparently there was no need to fight them at all.

I've heard that argument before, that he simply wanted Iran to believe he had the WMD's, but I hadn't seen this report. This shows that there were no WMD's we had to worry about, but we all knew that before this so I don't really see this as being groundbreaking. But it certainly does show once again that the Iraqi invasion was unnecessary.

Well I'm afraid that ignores reality. You inspire people to hate you when you bomb their country and kill friends, family, and countrymen. Or when sanctions imposed on a country kill hundreds of thousands of people. Or when you militarily occupy their holy lands or throw out their elected leaders for repressive regimes.

I don't think those things were what motivated al qaeda, though.

Osama has stated that those were among his motivations. However, there are always going to be those who simply hate the United States for no reason, but you give them potential allies when you give them bread-and-butter issues they can use to recruit others.

Allowing fear of what others think to paralyze you into inaction makes you weak.

If what I am doing is right, and you don't like me for it, too damned bad.

Osama has stated that those were among his motivations. However, there are always going to be those who simply hate the United States for no reason, but you give them potential allies when you give them bread-and-butter issues they can use to recruit others.

What did bin Laden say was his reasoning? That we had occupied Saudi? What would happen if Saddam controlled the Arabian Peninsula?

That was one of his reasons. He saw our military presence there as disrespecting Islam, and he also didn't like that we support the Saudi Arabian government which he sees as repressive. I'm not sure I understand the Saddam question, but Osama and Saddam were not allies to begin with.

If you are referring to the First Gulf War, we were not supporting Saudi Arabia. We were supporting freeing Kuwait from Iraqi occupation. Bin Laden threw his little hissy fit because we dared step foot on Arab soil.

Let that punkass come over to my house. I can teach him all kinds of new meanings to "daring to step foot on.":cool:

That was one of his reasons. He saw our military presence there as disrespecting Islam, and he also didn't like that we support the Saudi Arabian government which he sees as repressive. I'm not sure I understand the Saddam question, but Osama and Saddam were not allies to begin with.

It would follow that your opinion would be we should have pulled out of Saudi Arabia because bin Laden listed it as his reasons and because you don't advocate foreign intervention.

Well we should never have been there in the first place, but that about sums it up.

Dude, no disrespect intended because we agree on a lot of things, but if you could see through my eyes for 10 minutes you'd change that opinion in a heartbeat.

Yeah, we had business being there. Saddam's army raped, pillaged and plundered a country for its oil. There is such a thing as doing what's right just because it's right, that no backwards-assed arguments can surmount.

How would this have happened?

He wasn't going to stop at Kuwait. he was going to take over Saudi Arabia and probably the entire peninsula. That must be close to 75 percent.

Well one interesting anecdote about that is Osama offered to defend Saudi Arabia from Saddam in 1991 if it became necessary. However, Iraq was a third-world country. I find Iraq taking over the entire peninsula to be highly unlikely. They couldn't even defeat Iran which was a single country, let alone take over many different countries.

Iraq had the 5th largest military in the world at the time and was a threat to his neighbors. He attacked two of them. Basing what you think Arab countries would do on what Iran did is not applying reality to your thinking. Turkey is the only semi-Arab nation that has a strong military. Saddam could easily have rolled down the Gulf of Arabia and occupied the Arab states one at a time, at his leisure.

Yesterday, the National Security Archive released declassified FBI reports detailing both the bureau’s interrogations and “casual conversations” with former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. According to the documents, Hussein told FBI agent George Piro (one of only a few agents who spoke Arabic) that he let the world believe he had weapons of mass destruction because he feared appearing weak to what he considered his country’s real threat, Iran:
Think Progress » Saddam Hussein Considered ‘Security Agreement’ With U.S. To Counter Threat From ‘Fanatics’ In Iran

I've heard that argument before, that he simply wanted Iran to believe he had the WMD's, but I hadn't seen this report. This shows that there were no WMD's we had to worry about, but we all knew that before this so I don't really see this as being groundbreaking. But it certainly does show once again that the Iraqi invasion was unnecessary.

Monday morning quarterbacking us usually 100% correct.

"Couldn't even defeat Iran".

I love it when people who have no historical knowledge say idiotic things like that. If Iran was such a push over, believe me, it wouldn't be run by wild eyed lunatics today.

Or at least...it would be run by different wild-eyed lunatics today.

The idiot GoP simply adopted the FDR/Truman thing about being world police and now they can't let go.
Why do we have to 'fight them' anywhere?
I find I really don't care who runs Iran as long as they leave me alone.
Sounds like the attitude most Americans had just before WWII.
If you did your homework you would know WW2 was a setup as well.
OMG OMG Britney shaves her papaya !!!Idiots.

All wars are set up by somebody.

Doesn't mean you should let your people be butchered and your country invaded. Nor does it mean you should stop standing up for human rights.

I don't think those things were what motivated al qaeda, though.

Allowing fear of what others think to paralyze you into inaction makes you weak.

However, I would argue that sanctions that only hurt the populace of a country and dropping bombs that kill civilians aren't right, and we shouldn't be surprised when people are angry about it.

False premise. The bombs don't get dropped until we get attacked, and they are given fair warning.

They attack us, they threaten to wipe us out and swear (and I believe them, just look at the centuries we've been dealing with them) they will continue to try to eradicate non-believers, or bring them into bondage. They are given the opportunity to evacuate and they choose not to.

There's a difference between being good and right, and being weak and foolish. They are not one and the same thing. Neither is being good and right synonomous with refusing to defend oneself or stand up for the weak and vulnerable.

It would follow that your opinion would be we should have pulled out of Saudi Arabia because bin Laden listed it as his reasons and because you don't advocate foreign intervention.

Dude, no disrespect intended because we agree on a lot of things, but if you could see through my eyes for 10 minutes you'd change that opinion in a heartbeat.

Yeah, we had business being there. Saddam's army raped, pillaged and plundered a country for its oil. There is such a thing as doing what's right just because it's right, that no backwards-assed arguments can surmount.

No disrespect taken, I have absolutely no problem with differing opinions.

Saddam was wrong for invading Kuwait, but I don't see it as being right for our own government to plunder the American taxpayers so that they can play world police. I also don't see it as being right for the government to rape the Constitution by putting our troops in harms way through undeclared wars.

False premise. The bombs don't get dropped until we get attacked, and they are given fair warning.

They attack us, they threaten to wipe us out and swear (and I believe them, just look at the centuries we've been dealing with them) they will continue to try to eradicate non-believers, or bring them into bondage. They are given the opportunity to evacuate and they choose not to.

There's a difference between being good and right, and being weak and foolish. They are not one and the same thing. Neither is being good and right synonomous with refusing to defend oneself or stand up for the weak and vulnerable.

We do not only bomb if we are attacked first.

The idiot GoP simply adopted the FDR/Truman thing about being world police and now they can't let go.
Why do we have to 'fight them' anywhere?
I find I really don't care who runs Iran as long as they leave me alone.
Sounds like the attitude most Americans had just before WWII.
If you did your homework you would know WW2 was a setup as well.
OMG OMG Britney shaves her papaya !!!Idiots.

Sure thing, dude. Reach behind you, grab the tinfoil helmet and put it on your grape. See how the voices stop?:lol:

However, I would argue that sanctions that only hurt the populace of a country and dropping bombs that kill civilians aren't right, and we shouldn't be surprised when people are angry about it.

What's your point? I'm not surprised. I don't give a damn. If you're that concerned, you might want to think about getting rid of your leader.

Like I'm sure a LOT of Americans are thinking right now.

Saddam was wrong for invading Kuwait, but I don't see it as being right for our own government to plunder the American taxpayers so that they can play world police. I also don't see it as being right for the government to rape the Constitution by putting our troops in harms way through undeclared wars.

You didn't do your homework. The US was piad in gold, by Kuwait for our part in the First Gulf War. We even got rela gold Kuwait Liberation Medals the government took away from us and replaced with crap.

What's your point? I'm not surprised. I don't give a damn. If you're that concerned, you might want to think about getting rid of your leader.

Like I'm sure a LOT of Americans are thinking right now.

You should give a damn. When people are angry about our murderous policies in their country they may decide to attack us, ala 9/11. But to say that people should get rid of their leader if they don't want us to put sanctions on them or bomb them is ridiculous. For one, we're responsible for our actions. Secondly, it's not always easy to get rid of dictators. We shouldn't be in the business of telling people that if they don't risk their and their families lives to try and overthrow a brutal dictator that we're going to bomb them and put sanctions on them.

You didn't do your homework. The US was piad in gold, by Kuwait for our part in the First Gulf War. We even got rela gold Kuwait Liberation Medals the government took away from us and replaced with crap.

I hadn't heard that. Did they pay all of our expenses?

Monday morning quarterbacking us usually 100% correct.
:lol: Like Kev said, many of us suspected it all along. Confirmation is just a bonus. Poor Dubya, his "legacy" gets dimmer and dimmer.

Forum List

Back