Fight the good fight. It is worth it.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,402
    Okay, it's all over but the gloating, weeping, and post mortems. The Romney supporters lost the contest. The Obama supporters won. And I'm not sure where that leaves everybody else--feeling self righteous? Non commital? Don't care? Buyer's remorse?

But one fact remains. The popular vote went slightly to Obama in the head to head matchup, but when you add in the 'other parties' votes, he did not get a clear mandate from a majority of the people. But he won. And that is that for now.

But the fact is that even though Obama won--and this would have been true of Romney had he won--the battle is ended but not the war. We remain a widely divided country with one half pulling one way and the other half pulling another way on a lot of issue.

But I believe the vast majority of us share some common ground.

1. We love America.
    2. We want what is best for our people.
    3. We want responsible, effective government and prosperity for all.
    4. We value our freedoms and do not compromise these lightly.
    5. We know in our hearts things don't always have to be the way they are.
    6. We will fight for what is right when we strongly believe.

So now is not the time to throw in the towel. Now is not the time for either gloating or tucking tails and slinking away. America has been through many many tough times from depression, recession, drought/famine, foreign wars, civil war and has expended much precious blood and treasure to be the nation we have been and can be again. And Americans have proved to be their toughest in the toughest times.

Let's find what common ground there is to be found, but stick to our best principles and continue to fightfor them. If we don't, they weren't worth having in the first place.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 8
  2. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,402
    And think about this folks. Nothing much has changed since yesterday. Obama is in the White House. The Senate is controlled by Democrats and the House is controlled by Republicans. Nobody has changed their minds about much of anything. . . .yet.

In short we are no worse off than we were before. . . .yet. And we honestly don't know if things would have been better.

But we have to start somewhere. USMB provides a broad cross section of perspectives, convictions, hopes, dreams, concepts. If we on USMB can have a conversation about what is really important and if we can agree on holding those we elect accountable for what they do, then there is hope for America everywhere.

3. HenryFortune

HenryFortune Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    To me, this is our biggest problem. Personally, I don't think it matters who's in the White House, or who we elect to Congress, if all we're going to get is more of the same: professional politicians who represent the highest corporate and/or banking industry bidder and not the majority of citizens who voted for them. Nothing is going to get better until we get our political system out of the hands of Wall Street.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,402
    See? We already agree on something. :)

I honestly hoped Romney would have been different. He has demonstrated for some time now that he has all the money he needs or wants and that could suggest that he could not be bought. But who knows how he would have governed? We certainly did not get a President who governed as Obama campaigned.

But ultimately we need to agree on what is most important to most of us and demand that from our elected leaders. As long as partisanship trumps common sense, we are screwed.

5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,729
    Are you out of your friggin mind? When has the left EVAH held obummer accountable for any damn thing? Name one! Go ahead I double dog dare ya.

6. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,615
    If Obama's re-election does not snap the right wing back to sanity I shudder to think what it will take. If it has to get worse than Obama, we are in deeper shit than I thought.

Perhaps a good place to start for people who have deluded themselves into believing they are conservatives is to turn off Fox News, stop reading the Daily Caller, and take a critical thinking class or two.

Here is something to think about: If you don't learn from your mistakes and bad decisions, you WILL get a chance to learn again!

You've already had two chances. Why wait for a third?

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    The only thing I disagree with here is"Wall Street". When you use that phrase it limits who you are talking about. K Street is also a major player in the division of America and all the rich SOBs whether investment bankers or not.

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I think the biggest fight is getting ALL of us to agree and talk. We are all soooo divided in this country. So many can't even imagine agreeing with the other side on anything.

We need to start working toward what's best for all of us. But can that happen? The last few months we spent screaming, cussing, putting down other Americans because we don't think the same way. Many, both sides, voted Party instead of People.

One of the biggest problems i see is some people will not admit when they're wrong. They won't use their own brains and study a problem and see both sides and make their own decision. They wait for some news person to tell them how to think. They'll suck up lies without really looking into it and will never admit if they screwed up.

Hell, I'd like to hear Obama say ONE TIME "I was wrong", or "I made the wrong decision"...SOMETHING! I have no respect for anyone that knows they're wrong and won't admit to it, or throws someone else under the bus to make himself look good. He is no "Honest" Abe like he thinks he is. This president has divided this country more than any other. I can't believe that people don't see this. :(

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,402
    Yes, finding--or admitting--common ground is the hardest part. And give up the assigned talking points that G5000 put in his post. Willow is right that nobody on the left has held Obama accountable for anything and that also has to stop somewhere before anything will improve. The same goes for those on the right regarding their elected leaders. And we have to learn to stop accusing others of ridiculous things, making mountains out of molehills, and blowing unimportant things up into gigantic issues.

Obama will stop being divisive when his base demands that he stop being divisive. It is as simple as that. Even if he is not so inclined, those in Congress want to be re-elected and they ARE responsive to the will of the people when the people make that known. And THEY will insist that their President behave accordingly or they will render him impotent.

But if we here cannot find some bipartisanship in what is important to us, we give no reason for our elected leaders to find any bipartisanship either. It requires being honest, looking at real facts and figures instead of assigned propaganda, and a willingness to compromise when possible.

10. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    All you have to remember is, it's only four years and Obama isn't really a communist or a dictator. Go off the deep end and you're guaranteeing Republicans won't be taken seriously again for a long, long time.