Fight over refrigeration!

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Well, it has finally boiled over into an argument.
Our refrigerator door is overfowing.
I have tried to get my wife to understand that there are lots of things in there that don't require refrigeration.
For example: mustard, ketchep, soy sauce, steak sauce, wochestersire sauce, dill pickles, peanut butter, and honey do not require space in the icebox.

So, what do you leave out of the fridge that makes you crazy when you see it in other folks refrigerators?
Or, what do you leave out that others call you nuts for not storing in the icebox?

Just chill a while.
Peanut butter does not need refrigeration. How could one spread chilled pbutter?
I think I keep all that other stuff in ther after opening. Most perisable products say to do that.

Of course if you like diahrea...

Last edited:
I have tried to get my wife to understand that there are lots of things in there that don't require refrigeration.
For example: mustard, ketchep, soy sauce, steak sauce, wochestersire sauce, dill pickles, peanut butter, and honey do not require space in the icebox.

So, what do you leave out of the fridge that makes you crazy when you see it in other folks refrigerators?
Or, what do you leave out that others call you nuts for not storing in the icebox?

Is it a newer refrigerator? You do know you can order extra door shelves.

Just chill a while.
Peanut butter does not need refrigeration. How could one spread chilled pbutter?
I think I keep all that other stuff in ther after opening. Most perisable products say to do that.

Ha ha @ chill :D

As for food poisoning, French's Mustard's website says their mustard doesn't need refrigeration. Catsup, steak sauce and pickles are full of vinegar, no bacteria can live in there. Next time you go out to your favorite steakhouse, notice that the catsup, mustard and steak sauce are all siting out at room temp, they never refrigerate condiments.

I believe those products say "refrigerate after opening" to preserve flavor.

Good advice but unfortunately, tho reletively new, the interior door panel is an injection molded one peice job...it is also a side-by-side, which further limits space.

My wife puts flour and sugar in the freezer. Count your blessings LOL.

Please delete this post immediately !!!

(before my wife sees it :lol:)

$5 :D

And we seem to have 3 of everything. She doesn't take stock of what's in the fridge or pantry before heading off to the grocery.

Leftovers? Forget it. Anything over 2 days old is "bad". No wonder I'm overweight- I refuse to toss out good food. I shouldn't bitch tho. She may not be a good cook but at least there's something on the table at 6 every evening.

We have ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce in the fridge because there's not enough room in the pantry for them. Peanut butter in the fridge? No, unless it's natural p.b. Doesn't that go rancid? Honey? Honey never, ever goes bad. Didn't they find honey in Egyptian tombs and it was fine? Besides when you put it in the fridge you can't get it out of the damn jar!

Something I do with stuff that will go bad, even in the fridge, is write the date I opened it on the outside of the label. That way I'll have a better idea if we can eat it or not. Stuff like applesauce, spaghetti sauce, etc. I do it with shortening too but don't keep that in the fridge.

I keep flour in the freezer, too...keeps out the pantry bugs.

All those things you listed don't need to be in the fridge...except if you've already stored them in the fridge. If you leave them out now the moisture will breed bacteria.

Just buy another fridge for the garage.

Just chill a while.

As for food poisoning, French's Mustard's website says their mustard doesn't need refrigeration. Catsup, steak sauce and pickles are full of vinegar, no bacteria can live in there. Next time you go out to your favorite steakhouse, notice that the catsup, mustard and steak sauce are all siting out at room temp, they never refrigerate condiments.

I can't stand cold ketchup anyway.

Lol @ the guy whose wife freezes sugar and flour

I spent much of my youth growing up in the orient, you refrigerate everything potentially perishable. Had to unlearn much of that but I still put mustard and catchup in the fridge, everything else goes in the pantry.

If one is into totally health food living, then one might freeze or refrigerate flour. I've seen that done, in order to preserve freshness in whole grain flours. Also, non-homogenized p'nut butter is best refrigerated. Bread is better either frozen or stored at room temp. Honey is best at room temp. Soy sauce is self preserved because of salt content.

Just chill a while.

Please, call me Mr. H. ;)

Please, call me Mr. H. ;)

I like 'the guy' better.

I found this while researching condiment refrigeration.

Q. What happens if I leave mayonnaise unrefrigerated for a long period of time?

A. From a food safety standpoint, commercial mayonnaise and mayonnaise-type dressings are perfectly stable when stored at room temperature after opening. Quality, not safety, is the only reason the labels on these products suggest that they be refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration ensures that the commercial mayonnaise keeps its fresh flavor for a longer period of time. Please review the product’s label for more information on storage and shelf life.

Mayonnaise, Vitamin E and Heart Health

So...who's gonna volunteer to test this statement?

I keep flour in the freezer, too...keeps out the pantry bugs.

All those things you listed don't need to be in the fridge...except if you've already stored them in the fridge. If you leave them out now the moisture will breed bacteria.

Just buy another fridge for the garage.

LOL, that was my husbands solution. Now we have two side by sides and a separate deep freezer. :lol:

Good advice but unfortunately, tho reletively new, the interior door panel is an injection molded one peice job...it is also a side-by-side, which further limits space.

Bummer! Ravi right time for a new one :eusa_whistle:

:)

ALL of that, except PB and honey goes in the fridge. AND it goes in the door where it belongs. :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back