Fetus can't feel pain before 24 weeks, study says

well let me toss this out...what reason is there for a late term abortion? you can do a c section in how many minutes...what is so threatening to a woman's life? if she is in that weak a condition isnt the abortion just as hard as the c section.....i have never found a good reason for an abortion that late?

can someone educate me on the reasons a late term abortion is needed?

I can't since I agree with you.

okay and let me ask this.....if you allow that its okay cause the fetus cant feel pain....is it okay to kick a parapeligc....(sp)
I've not seen anyone make that argument

Not late term, anyway. There are arguments on both sides for 1st trimester and I think even 2nd trimester regarding the justification of abortion depending on whether or not a fetus feels pain.

In my humble opinion, it should not matter, but then that is only my humble opinion.

Immie

well let me toss this out...what reason is there for a late term abortion? you can do a c section in how many minutes...what is so threatening to a woman's life? if she is in that weak a condition isnt the abortion just as hard as the c section.....i have never found a good reason for an abortion that late?

Warning...one graphic pic.

http://sciencenotes.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/what-causes-third-trimester-abortions/

Because the mother changed her mind about having the baby.

I basically go by the definitions. Zygote to blastocyst to fetus, etc. I don't really buy that a fetus is a human being. I certainly accept that it will become a human being under normal circumstances. However, this gets into a debate over semantics which I generally try to avoid (because it basically comes down to opinion).

What do you believe a fetus is, if not a human being? Just curious.

It is human and cannot be anything but human (as it was created by humans), and it is a being, as it exists and it is life.

It's a fetus. A human fetus, but a fetus none-the-less. I don't deem it as "sub-human", I just don't see it as the same as a "human being" that has finished all the gestational development stages.

So what? That's like saying, "I don't see it as a human being who as finished all the growing up development stages." What's that got to do with anything?

Because the mother changed her mind about having the baby.

Pretty much.

For some reason the link above didn't work.

I'll try again.
What causes third-trimester abortions? Science Notes

3rd-tri-reasons-2.jpg

I thought this was interesting:

* In 40%, an earlier test indicated that a defect existed but not how serious it was. Doctors delayed and re-tested to see if the defect was serious enough to be life-threatening. Some genetic conditions can be mild or severe, so to prevent unnecessary abortions the doctors waited.

A fetus. Just as an acorn is not a tree. It's an acorn. It contains the DNA to become a tree, but it isn't one yet.

A human egg in and of itself produces nothing. Same goes for the human sperm. Together, if successful fertalization happens, they produce a unique and 100% complete human being...birth is merely a next stage for the human being that began at conception. This is a scientifically settled matter.
Once again I ask: what defines a "complete human being"? You have yet to answer this.
Yes, she has. You just choose to ignore anything you wish wasn't there.
well, no. She didn't. She stated fertilization leads to a 100% complete human being. She did not state that fertilization is the only thing needed to produce a human being. That would be a foolish stance, as 40% of conceptions don't take anyway.

At what point should it be legally protected? Countless trillions of sperm and eggs meet on a regular basis, and are a 'potential human', but due to many factors within the body, end up not reaching the next stage of fetal development and causing pregnancy - Do you consider this to be murder-through-neglect? Birth control treatments can help to influence these behaviors to increase or decrease the chance of these fertilized eggs becoming fetuses. Is it 'butchering' them to let them die due to starvation of the proper chemicals? You're starving and butchering those poor eggs. Is there some magical 'spark' of life and and worthiness the second it reaches the womb?

I've always been of the opinion that abortion should only be allowed BEFORE the baby would even have the tiniest chance of surviving outside the womb, or perhaps when it shows the first signs up brain activity (not sure on what the specifics should be), when there's no doubt as to it being a wholly separate being, except in the most extreme cases.

Last edited:
A fetus. Just as an acorn is not a tree. It's an acorn. It contains the DNA to become a tree, but it isn't one yet.

Y'all are usin' a false analogy.

The acorn, the sapling, and the tree are different stages of development of the Oak.

Similarly, the foetus, the toddler, and the adult are different stages of development of the human.

I think the main point here isn't the language, though - even if you manage to irrefutably prove that one definition is superior, it still doesn't resolve what's ultimately an ethical and legal issue

Last edited:
thanks ravi for the link...proving the majority of late term abortions are done due to birth defects that were not picked up prior too or they didnt realize the seriousness of the defect. people read the link.....

thanks also for the graphic warning....its a very disturbing picture....

No, the majority of late-term abortions are NOT due to birth defects.

Abortion clinics do NOT keep accurate abortion stats. I can tell you I've been in abortion clinics and the waiting rooms are full of women who are largely, obviously pregnant. And they aren't there because the baby is deformed. Abortions which take place for medical reasons don't place at abortion clinics...they are performed in hospitals.

He obviously knows it is a human, but to appease his guilty conscience, he makes excuses for his reasoning that it can be killed.
He can't explain it.. it just is.

"Guilty conscious"? Give me a fucking break. I've never knocked a girl up, and I've never participated in an abortion nor will I.

I made a post on here about how the zealots on both sides are annoying because they insist on defining the issue. You are one of those people.

I would think the unformed cells cannot feel pain but if they begin to feel it at 24 weeks what about the bullshit docs have been feeding us about newborn boys not being able to feel it when they're circumsized.

You use a nerve block when you circumcise newborns. That's why they can't feel pain. It's no different than using anesthesia on someone when you amputate a limb. Obviously under normal conditions, that would be a painful prospect.

It is human and cannot be anything but human (as it was created by humans), and it is a being, as it exists and it is life.

It's a fetus. A human fetus, but a fetus none-the-less. I don't deem it as "sub-human", I just don't see it as the same as a "human being" that has finished all the gestational development stages.

So what? That's like saying, "I don't see it as a human being who as finished all the growing up development stages." What's that got to do with anything?

No, it's nothing like that. Once again, you can't ignore the issue of viability when it comes to gestational development.

No, the majority of late-term abortions are NOT due to birth defects.

Abortion clinics do NOT keep accurate abortion stats. I can tell you I've been in abortion clinics and the waiting rooms are full of women who are largely, obviously pregnant. And they aren't there because the baby is deformed. Abortions which take place for medical reasons don't place at abortion clinics...they are performed in hospitals.

No evidence like anecdotal evidence.

Forum List

Back