Feel like cussing at a teacher? Pay up.

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177300,00.html
George Sugai, who teaches school discipline at UConn's Neag School of Education, is skeptical of the effort. "Research says that punishing kids doesn't teach them the right way to act," he said.
:wtf:

Keila Ayala, 17, a Hartford Public sophomore, said she was ticketed for shouting an expletive in an officer's face while handcuffed for taking a swing at him.
This girl sounds like a winner.

GotZoom said:
I am stunned.

You mean..someone actually came up with the idea of making parents responsible for their children's actions?

Brilliant.

In Connecticut no less!

This...is...BRILLIANT!!!! If my parents got fined $100 for something I'd done at school, I'd have to pay them back (whether by cash or yardwork). This would sure fix the case of that girl in the other article whose mom had to call the cops on her, so of course the mom drops her right off at school with no warning to the faculty.

I just really love the example they used.. some girl takes a swing at a cop, and then when she's in cuffs and cussing up a storm, they ticket her. The cop must have had so much fun with that...

"Next time, don't swing at an officer"
"FUCK YOU"
"100 bucks, anything else?"
"Asshole"
"Hey 200 bucks!"
"You're a dick"
"I guess I can let that one slide"
"Fuck you, you piece of shit."
"ding ding ding 300 400 bucks!"

When all else fails, teach your lesson financially.

George Sugai, who teaches school discipline at UConn's Neag School of Education, is skeptical of the effort. "Research says that punishing kids doesn't teach them the right way to act," he said.

But Hartford Police Officer Roger Pearl said the program is working.

"Before, the kids were swearing all the time. It went from many incidents to almost nothing," he said. "It's quiet in the halls."

He's skeptical of an effort that has proved effective. It is really difficult to ignore reality in such a way only because it doesn't fit into your preconceived notion of 'reasearch results'. It takes a PhD to make somebody that stupid.

no1tovote4 said:
He's skeptical of an effort that has proved effective. It is really difficult to ignore reality in such a way only because it doesn't fit into your preconceived notion of 'reasearch results'. It takes a PhD to make somebody that stupid.
They don't need punishment. They need CONFLICT RESOLUTION and the DISCIPLINE ROOM. :puke:

Fining the parents isn't always going to work.. After all, that type of behavior is learned somewhere...

Shattered said:
Fining the parents isn't always going to work.. After all, that type of behavior is learned somewhere...

Kelly Ayala: "Mom, Dad...I got fined at school today for cussing. It's going to cost you a little more than $300.00."

Mr. Ayala: "Son of a bitch. Those assholes think they can fine you for cussing? Damn those shitheads....."

Mrs. Ayala: "Now honey, watch your fucking mouth around our daughter."

GotZoom said:
Kelly Ayala: "Mom, Dad...I got fined at school today for cussing. It's going to cost you a little more than $300.00."

Mr. Ayala: "Son of a bitch. Those assholes think they can fine you for cussing? Damn those shitheads....."

Mrs. Ayala: "Now honey, watch your fucking mouth around our daughter."

That's pretty much it... At that point, they won't pay, they'll go to jail, get free room and board for a bit, and then start the cycle all over again.

Shattered said:
That's pretty much it... At that point, they won't pay, they'll go to jail, get free room and board for a bit, and then start the cycle all over again.

I don't think that jail is an option. It is more likely that the child will not be able to return to school until the fines have been paid than it is that they will send the parents to jail for not paying the fine.

Let's see how long before some parent sues because it is a violation of their child's First Amendment Right of Free Speech....

no1tovote4 said:
I don't think that jail is an option. It is more likely that the child will not be able to return to school until the fines have been paid than it is that they will send the parents to jail for not paying the fine.

Let's see how long before some parent sues because it is a violation of their child's First Amendment Right of Free Speech....

Children that behave in that manner don't want to go to school anyway...

Cops I know around here tell me they don't even bother to give certain folks tickets cuase they know full well they can't pay em. Just a waste of their time and tax payer money. You still can't get blood out of a turnip.

dilloduck said:
Cops I know around here tell me they don't even bother to give certain folks tickets cuase they know full well they can't pay em. Just a waste of their time and tax payer money. You still can't get blood out of a turnip.

I'll bet that if indigence is an issue that they will allow the child to work off the fine. More like an in-school suspension than a ticket at that point. Plus, we don't know how well-off the people at this particular school are. There are some schools where worrying about the indigent would never be an issue.

The program has been effective, so objections to it seem to be late and misplaced.

no1tovote4 said:
I'll bet that if indigence is an issue that they will allow the child to work off the fine. More like an in-school suspension than a ticket at that point. Plus, we don't know how well-off the people at this particular school are. There are some schools where worrying about the indigent would never be an issue.

The program has been effective, so objections to it seem to be late and misplaced.

These folks are more than comfortable to say " FU--send me to jail"---I aint paying and my kid aint working". I'm not saying it's right--it's just the reality.

GotZoom said:
I am stunned.

You mean..someone actually came up with the idea of making parents responsible for their children's actions?

Brilliant.
yeah, its an odd concept in todays world

Forum List

Back