Feds no longer trust local and state officials and have new process for investigation discrimination

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Looks like the feds have a new process. They no longer trust state and local officials to investigate complaints of discrimination and will start throwing their weight around. It's suspicious because we know this administration has an agenda and it isn't about justice. It's about fueling race wars.

Because of one single complaint, the feds are overruling the state and local authorities who investigated and found no evidence of discrimination. And no details will be shared other than they are investigating.

"We can confirm that OCR is currently investigating whether the Cedar Rapids Community School District discriminates against black students on the basis of race with respect to discipline practices," according to an emailed statement from the office.

The OCR will be conducting on-site interviews, but they said no additional details could be shared.
Mary Ellen Maske, deputy superintendent, said the OCR plans to visit the district during the week of Sept. 22-25. She said Washington, Kennedy and Metro high schools, Franklin, Taft and McKinley Middle Schools and Grant and Harrison Elementary schools will be visited.

"They will be talking to students and teachers regarding our discipline policies, procedures and regulations," Maske said.

She said visits from external agencies are not unusual, but that a federal visit is uncommon. She said it is her understanding this investigation is part of a new process and is in response to a single complaint.

"It is my understanding the Office of Civil Rights has changed the way it is doing its investigations recently," she said. "Our understanding is this was based on a single complaint."

She said it is also her understanding that a similar complaint was made at the state and local level, and was reviewed and dismissed. The Iowa and Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commissions did not immediately respond to phone or email inquiries.

Looks like the feds have a new process. They no longer trust state and local officials to investigate complaints of discrimination and will start throwing their weight around. It's suspicious because we know this administration has an agenda and it isn't about justice. It's about fueling race wars.

Because of one single complaint, the feds are overruling the state and local authorities who investigated and found no evidence of discrimination. And no details will be shared other than they are investigating.

"We can confirm that OCR is currently investigating whether the Cedar Rapids Community School District discriminates against black students on the basis of race with respect to discipline practices," according to an emailed statement from the office.

The OCR will be conducting on-site interviews, but they said no additional details could be shared.
Mary Ellen Maske, deputy superintendent, said the OCR plans to visit the district during the week of Sept. 22-25. She said Washington, Kennedy and Metro high schools, Franklin, Taft and McKinley Middle Schools and Grant and Harrison Elementary schools will be visited.

"They will be talking to students and teachers regarding our discipline policies, procedures and regulations," Maske said.

She said visits from external agencies are not unusual, but that a federal visit is uncommon. She said it is her understanding this investigation is part of a new process and is in response to a single complaint.

"It is my understanding the Office of Civil Rights has changed the way it is doing its investigations recently," she said. "Our understanding is this was based on a single complaint."

She said it is also her understanding that a similar complaint was made at the state and local level, and was reviewed and dismissed. The Iowa and Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commissions did not immediately respond to phone or email inquiries.

It's a good thing we elected the post-racial president and his Black Panther grievance buddies.

The reason for the single complaint, from an unknown source, is this:

"A couple of measures of discipline, suspensions and referrals, show that black students are disciplined disproportionately to white students, according to district data.

Black students account for 18.6 percent of district wide enrollment, but 46.5 percent of all suspensions are handed down to black students. At the high school level, black students make up 41 percent of referrals while they only make up 18.7 percent of the enrollment.

Paul R. Hayes, the district’s executive manager of learning supports said that trend is a one many are trying to address.

“The answer to that question is what districts across the state and the nation have wrestled with for years,” he said. “There really is no definitive explanation, but for the past several years CRCSD has focused on the following things in an attempt to positively impact the data.”"

The focus is on positively impacting the data. Okay, the statistics are what they are. They aren't talking about finding the root cause and instead are focusing on racism being the sole reason that more minorities are getting into trouble. I live in the area and my kids attended school here. I have nieces and nephews still in the CR schools. The schools practice zero tolerance and I've never seen any kid immune from detention or suspension.
This administration would rather blame others of being racist than to determine why these kids are getting into trouble. I can tell you that many in the school I volunteered at are welfare students. Many receive free lunches and have school fees waived. Many of the parents of these kids rarely showed up for parent-teacher conferences. That I saw personally.
Could it be that students who don't have involved parents tend to act up more? Maybe Holder should investigate that, at least if he's interested in understanding the problem If they don't like the current stats, then artificially changing or denying them doesn't make life better for the students. Getting to the root of the problem and possibly counseling some students would eventually change the data. As it is, they don't want to admit that there is a problem, let alone fix it. It's much better for them politically if they can feed the race baiting machine

Last edited:
State and local officials have never done a good job with discrimination

The reason for the single complaint, from an unknown source, is this:

"A couple of measures of discipline, suspensions and referrals, show that black students are disciplined disproportionately to white students, according to district data.

Black students account for 18.6 percent of district wide enrollment, but 46.5 percent of all suspensions are handed down to black students. At the high school level, black students make up 41 percent of referrals while they only make up 18.7 percent of the enrollment.

Paul R. Hayes, the district’s executive manager of learning supports said that trend is a one many are trying to address.

“The answer to that question is what districts across the state and the nation have wrestled with for years,” he said. “There really is no definitive explanation, but for the past several years CRCSD has focused on the following things in an attempt to positively impact the data.”"

The focus is on positively impacting the data. Okay, the statistics are what they are. They aren't talking about finding the root cause and instead are focusing on racism being the sole reason that more minorities are getting into trouble. I live in the area and my kids attended school here. I have nieces and nephews still in the CR schools. The schools practice zero tolerance and I've never seen any kid immune from detention or suspension.
This administration would rather blame others of being racist than to determine why these kids are getting into trouble. I can tell you that many in the school I volunteered at are welfare students. Many receive free lunches and have school fees waived. Many of the parents of these kids rarely showed up for parent-teacher conferences. That I saw personally.
Could it be that students who don't have involved parents tend to act up more? Maybe Holder should investigate that, at least if he's interested in understanding the problem If they don't like the current stats, then artificially changing or denying them doesn't make life better for the students. Getting to the root of the problem and possibly counseling some students would eventually change the data. As it is, they don't want to admit that there is a problem, let alone fix it. It's much better for them politically if they can feed the race baiting machine.
[/quote][/QUOTE]

In this particular case I believe there may be some discrimination going on. Apparently the black kids aren't being educated well enough to know how to NOT GET CAUGHT when they do something wrong.

What's new about that "process"?

The Feds have been doing it for decades, if not centuries. When any state or local agency screws up, the Feds move in and start telling how to do their jobs. And they aren't making "suggestions".

The process moved into high gear in the 1920s and has never looked back.

What's new about that "process"?

The Feds have been doing it for decades, if not centuries. When any state or local agency screws up, the Feds move in and start telling how to do their jobs. And they aren't making "suggestions".

The process moved into high gear in the 1920s and has never looked back.

There's no indication that the local or state officials messed up. This is about the administration drumming up charges of racism to keep their base riled.

Forum List

Back