Federal Govt. Attempting To Ban Anonymous Pre-Paid Cell Phones...

Do you think that the last method of anonymous phone calling should be eliminated?

• Yes! The boogey men will all use legit ID's and be caught!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No! I value my privacy, and where does the congress get the authority to ban anonymous cell phones?

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
Do you think that the last method of anonymous phone calling should be eliminated?

~

Pre-paid cell phones may be outlawed

This session of the 111th Congress has been one that will go down in infamy by virtue of its assault on privacy and other civil liberties. Several of these problematic provisions have not yet made it to President Barack Obama’s desk, but in today’s political environment, resisting them will be difficult. Many in the Congress still tremble as a result of the Times Square bombing attempt; even as many also remain gripped by the hysteria surrounding the as-yet unproven Toyota rogue acceleration problem.

The latest civil liberties victim of Times Square Brainiac Faisal Shahzad’s feeble attempt at terrorism fame is the pre-paid cell phone. This innocuous device, available now to virtually anyone wishing to buy a cheap cell phone usable for a limited period, represents perhaps the last opportunity for a person to communicate anonymously. Yet, these devices are being targeted for extinction by a pair of United States Senators simply because the failed Times Square bomber used one in his preparatory activities; and law enforcement discovered this not because the purchase of the cell phone was recorded in an accessible database, but because Shahzad made at least one call to a number already on a government list of suspected terrorists.

Democratic New York Sen. Chuck Schumer now has teamed with his Republican colleague from Texas, John Cornyn, and introduced a bill that would employ the heavy hand of federal law to prohibit anonymous cell phones. Leaving aside the question of where the Congress finds authority in the Constitution to do this, it is certain that many of their colleagues will jump at this latest chance to prove they are as tough on terrorists as the next guy, whatever the cost to the rest of the citizenry.

While Sens. Schumer and Cornyn may believe that the only people who purchase prepaid cell phones are terrorists, the fact is, many average, law-abiding citizens use such devices regularly. Some people do so because they may not have the funds or the creditworthiness to buy a cell phone with a network plan. Others may do so precisely because of the anonymity such phones offer; something especially important for journalists to be able to protect communications with their sources from being revealed.

No matter to Schumer or Cornyn. To prevent one possible bad guy from purchasing a single prepaid cell phone, they’ll use their power as senators to prevent anyone from having one.

The Times Square incident is not the only reason the Congress is seeking to curb the rights and privacy of all Americans. The hysteria resulting from last spring’s Toyota recall has energized the Congress to accelerate a move to require “black box” computers in every new car sold in America. This legislation, which was recently passed out of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and is likely fast-tracked for an election-year floor vote, not only will add to the cost of a new vehicle but raises a host of privacy problems for the owners and drivers of such vehicles.

In typical fashion, the House committee left it up to bureaucrats at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to decide what information the black boxes will monitor and record. The actual owner of the vehicle will not know what information about his car or his driving is being recorded, or who will have access to the data.

In perhaps the most outrageous assault yet on Americans’ civil liberties this Congress, the House recently voted (with no Democrats and only 32 Republicans opposed) to greatly expand government’s ability to forcibly collect DNA samples from persons simply arrested for alleged criminal behavior. The measure does this by giving taxpayer monies to any state that passes a law doing the federal government’s bidding in this regard.

One shudders to contemplate what the next Congress will do to match or exceed the anti-civil liberties record of this one.

Let me ask you this. DO you have anonymous banking? Nope, No why? Because drug dealers and terrorists would use it to ply their trade. Same with prepaid cell phones. Honest to God everytime we raid a meth house there are at least 2 per person.

Let me ask you, what legitimate use could there POSSIBLY be for an anonymous prepaid cell phones?

Let me ask you this. DO you have anonymous banking? Nope, No why? Because drug dealers and terrorists would use it to ply their trade. Same with prepaid cell phones. Honest to God everytime we raid a meth house there are at least 2 per person.

Let me ask you, what legitimate use could there POSSIBLY be for an anonymous prepaid cell phones?

Thanks for letting us know you're one of those people who use the cop logic of "if you have nothing to hide then why not let us search your home?"

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither"
- Ben Franklin

Thanks for letting us know you're one of those people who use the cop logic of "if you have nothing to hide then why not let us search your home?"

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither"
- Ben Franklin

No, I'm one of those who practice "use common sense" logic. You should try it.

how are they anonymous? i thought you had to register and activate a trac phone?

is this something different?

how are they anonymous? i thought you had to register and activate a trac phone?

is this something different?

There are dozens of pre-paid cell phone providers.

Some require that you enter personal information on your own (you can enter whatever you want)

Some don't require any personal information at all. (There is no need for it)

Not sure how I feel.
I can see the benefits in making them share their personal info, but I can also see the downside.

I find it hilarious that people almost exlusively use debit cards for everything now but they are worried about losing their "right" to own an anonymous prepaid cell phone.

edit: oops I left an X out

Last edited:
I find it hilarious that people almost elusively use debit cards for everything now but they are worried about losing their "right" to own an anonymous prepaid cell phone.

Really?

Then why do I have to take a deposit to the bank every day of over 3k in cash from the electronics store I work at?

It must be an illusion or a dream I guess.

I find it hilarious that people almost elusively use debit cards for everything now but they are worried about losing their "right" to own an anonymous prepaid cell phone.

Really?

Then why do I have to take a deposit to the bank every day of over 3k in cash from the electronics store I work at?

and how much do you take in on debit or credit cards per day? Oh yeah, forgot that part.

Also, you're ONE business a case does not make

Really?

And how much did you take in from credit/debit payments?

Really?

S/he won't answer that.LOL

Really?

S/he won't answer that.LOL

Oh! I know. lol
Last year during school I worked in customer service.
In my opinion, more people pay with cards. Those same people have a problem when you ask for their zip code.
because you know if I am going to do something I am going to use their zip code, and not their card number. :lol:

They better not be texiting and driving with these cell phones!

Nanny State! Nanny State!

Really?

apx the same amount

*sigh*

I find it hilarious that people almost exlusively use debit cards for everything now but they are worried about losing their "right" to own an anonymous prepaid cell phone.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that drug dealers, who this is obviously aimed at, use cash more than debit.

I honestly wouldnt want such law but understand the rationale behind it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that drug dealers, who this is obviously aimed at, use cash more than debit.

Actually you'd be shocked to find out that meth heads prefer the prepaid debit cards to cash, and here's why.

Cops confronts guy with rotted teeth and pocket full of cash, pretty obvious what he's up to. Cops confront guy with rotted teeth and debit card, not so obvious.

Actually you'd be shocked to find out that meth heads prefer the prepaid debit cards to cash, and here's why.

Cops confronts guy with rotted teeth and pocket full of cash, pretty obvious what he's up to. Cops confront guy with rotted teeth and debit card, not so obvious.

Meth heads actually have enough money to noticeably have pockets full of cash? Ive never met a drug dealer who accepts debit so if they're buying they're going to have to have cash nonetheless. Also, the comment about using cash more than debit was refering to the people who actually sell the drugs not the ones who buy it.

Meth heads actually have enough money to noticeably have pockets full of cash? Ive never met a drug dealer who accepts debit so if they're buying they're going to have to have cash nonetheless. Also, the comment about using cash more than debit was refering to the people who actually sell the drugs not the ones who buy it.

Obviously there transactions are done in cash. I'm talking about just as they walk around or whatever.... Meth heads, meaning dealers and users use prepaid debit cards more than cash. It's not uncommon to find SEVERAL of them when serving a warrant.

Forum List

Back