Federal government posts $55 billion budget surplus

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
z21xr.jpg

The federal government recorded a budget surplus in January of $55.2 billion, helped by a timing quirk that shifted benefit payments to December.

The Treasury Department said Wednesday that the surplus marked an improvement from January 2015 when the government recorded a small deficit of $17.5 billion. Part of the improvement reflected the fact that $42 billion in benefit checks were sent out in December because the regular payment period fell on a weekend.

Federal Budget in Black for January

Did you even read the article?

The federal government recorded a budget surplus in January of $55.2 billion, helped by a timing quirk that shifted benefit payments to December.

The Treasury Department said Wednesday that the surplus marked an improvement from January 2015 when the government recorded a small deficit of $17.5 billion. Part of the improvement reflected the fact that $42 billion in benefit checks were sent out in December because the regular payment period fell on a weekend.

For the first four months of this budget year, the deficit totaled $160.4 billion, below last year's deficit of $194.2 billion for the same period.

Both the Obama administration and the Congressional Budget Office are forecasting this year's deficit to top last year's imbalance of $439.1 billion.

Thank you dreadnaught. The op tries to give impression about how wonderful obamanomics are and what a road to recovery we are on when his own posted article says deficit will be much larger this year than last. Expect lies like,this to be commonplace throughout the campaign.

• Banned
Thank you dreadnaught. The op tries to give impression about how wonderful obamanomics are and what a road to recovery we are on when his own posted article says deficit will be much larger this year than last. Expect lies like,this to be commonplace throughout the campaign.

Actually, the OP said that stupid people would say stupid things. Congratulations stupid person. You're saying a stupid thing. So far, it seems to be the only thing I see in this thread. Stupid people everywhere.

You can't fix stupid. From your own article chlorine breath.

For the first four months of this budget year, the deficit totaled $160.4 billion, below last year's deficit of $194.2 billion for the same period.

Both the Obama administration and the Congressional Budget Office are forecasting this year's deficit to top last year's imbalance of $439.1 billion.

Obama, in the new budget he released Tuesday, projects that the deficit will jump to $616 billion this year while the CBO is forecasting a deficit of $544 billion. The CBO projects that the deficit will keep rising and top $1 trillion again in 2022 as the costs of Social Security and Medicare climb with the retirement of the baby boomers.

Actually, the OP said that stupid people would say stupid things. Congratulations stupid person. You're saying a stupid thing. So far, it seems to be the only thing I see in this thread. Stupid people everywhere.

No the only thing stupid is anyone who buys this crap as a positive sign. they will wind up the year more than a half trillion in the red just like always. Hell they were 215 billion in the red just for the first quarter of the year(see link), and that was with record high revenues. I remember a similar accounting trick politicians made a while back when they moved military pay form the last day of the month to the first day of the month in the middle of the FY. It allowed them to move all that money to the next years debt.

$765B: Government Collects Record-High Taxes in 1st Quarter of FY 2016

OP posted: The federal government recorded a budget surplus in January of $55.2 billion, helped by a timing quirk that shifted benefit payments to December.

Sounds like 'creative accounting' to me.

That's a pretty detailed explanation of WHY you think the posts are stupid. Nice work...

OP posted: The federal government recorded a budget surplus in January of $55.2 billion, helped by a timing quirk that shifted benefit payments to December.

Are they going to perp walk the government employees responsible like they did on Wall Street? /sarcasm

I agree. The Govt. is pretty handy at creative anything. Creative anything that makes them look better than they are.

The Govt. has never done anything cheaply or well and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

That's a pretty detailed explanation of WHY you think the posts are stupid. Nice work...

Who said I was going to explain why they are stupid? That people are saying stupid shit here demonstrates that they won't comprehend why it is stupid in the first place. No sense in explaining it. If you want to understand it go back to the beginning and figure it out for yourself.

Are they going to perp walk the government employees responsible like they did on Wall Street? /sarcasm

You want to perp walk our congress critters? I am good with that.

But you know Obama is just reporting the news. the actual deficit spending had been included in the newly passed budget that congress worked on.

No need to blame Obama. He didnt get what he wanted exactly. And repubs did.
A nice big increase in military spending.

Who said I was going to explain why they are stupid? That people are saying stupid shit here demonstrates that they won't comprehend why it is stupid in the first place. No sense in explaining it. If you want to understand it go back to the beginning and figure it out for yourself.
You're mighty brave in the shallow end of the pool. Come join the grown ups in the deep end.

You're mighty brave in the shallow end of the pool. Come join the grown ups in the deep end.

Actually, I'm up here on dry ground while morons are drowning in their own piss.

Last edited:
if the feds had said there would be a 55 billion dollar budget deficit everyone of you RW's would be cheering in the streets ...

if the feds had said there would be a 55 billion dollar budget deficit everyone of you RW's would be cheering in the streets ...

Though there would still be alot of stupid things said.

Forum List

Back