Federal appellate court sides with Douglass Mackey in meme case, drops prison sentence until after appeal

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
This atrocious violation of Mackey's First Amendment rights must be overturned.

Naturally, it was Merrick Garland's DoJ that prosecuted this case and an Obama judge happily endorsed it all

Fascism a la Joe Biden.

The 7-month prison sentence of Douglass Mackey has been stayed per a federal judge. He was convicted in March for circulating a satirical meme that encouraged Hillary Clinton voters to cast their votes via text in the lead up to the 2016 election.

The Motion Order reads: "granting motion for release pending appeal, at docket entry 16 Mackey's surrender date is stated. The Discrict Court is ordered to determinet the appropriate terms of release, without prejudice to the government's making a future request for detention, on behalf of Appellant Douglass Mackey, It is further ordered that this appeal is expedited. Mackey's initial brief will be due on or before January 5, 2024. The government's response will be due on or before February 5, 2024. Mackey's reply brief will be due on or before February 20, 2024. The Clerk is directed to calendar this appeal as soon as practicable after February 20, 2024."

The motion was signed by Judge Omar Williams of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut.

Mackey spoke about the motion on X, saying that "The Second Circuit Court of Appeals just overruled the District Court in granting our motion for bond pending appeal. This ruling is huge because it means that the appeals court decided that my appeal presents 'substantial' and 'debatable' issues of law that, if resolved in my favor, will result in my conviction being vacated. The prosecution, on the other hand, argued that my appeal was frivolous and that this was a typical election crime case like any other in U.S. history. This is a very encouraging step towards vindication."

Naturally, it was Merrick Garland's DoJ that prosecuted this case and an Obama judge happily endorsed it all

Fascism a la Joe Biden.

The 7-month prison sentence of Douglass Mackey has been stayed per a federal judge. He was convicted in March for circulating a satirical meme that encouraged Hillary Clinton voters to cast their votes via text in the lead up to the 2016 election.
The Motion Order reads: "granting motion for release pending appeal, at docket entry 16 Mackey's surrender date is stated. The Discrict Court is ordered to determinet the appropriate terms of release, without prejudice to the government's making a future request for detention, on behalf of Appellant Douglass Mackey, It is further ordered that this appeal is expedited. Mackey's initial brief will be due on or before January 5, 2024. The government's response will be due on or before February 5, 2024. Mackey's reply brief will be due on or before February 20, 2024. The Clerk is directed to calendar this appeal as soon as practicable after February 20, 2024."
The motion was signed by Judge Omar Williams of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut.
Mackey spoke about the motion on X, saying that "The Second Circuit Court of Appeals just overruled the District Court in granting our motion for bond pending appeal. This ruling is huge because it means that the appeals court decided that my appeal presents 'substantial' and 'debatable' issues of law that, if resolved in my favor, will result in my conviction being vacated. The prosecution, on the other hand, argued that my appeal was frivolous and that this was a typical election crime case like any other in U.S. history. This is a very encouraging step towards vindication."

Interesting, the case said there was no evidence anyone actually tried to vote by text in the manner he put out. True, he was found guilty on the evidence beyond the shadow of a doubt, but who knows? Maybe he had a shitty defense by shitty Republican lawyers, as we have seen with several, the last few years, as if they didn't know the inside from the outside of a courtroom.

Fascism a la Joe Biden.

This is an interesting case...

The only way we can get rid of our dogshit establishment elitists and clean up our government would be through impeachment based on our open border. I think Biden, Harris, Mayorkas and Garland could all be found criminally responsible for what is happening on our borders. Why not remove the four worst actors in our government in one swoop? Government without those four would be tremendously better. Back to MAGA.

Forum List

Back