Feb. 19 1945 Iwo Jima invasion

It was a mistake at any rate. About 6,000 Marines died on an island that could have been bypassed.

Sure. Technically we could have bypassed every single one of those islands, and gone straight after Japan.

It would have been a bloodbath we would have lost, but we could have done it.

when they knew FDR would die in his 4th term and picked a dumb rube who didn't even have a college education.

Actually, it was far more complex than that.

A lot did not trust him because he went on a tour of the Soviet Union, and gave glowing reports of the Potemkin work camp he was given a tour of. Praising the Soviets, while refusing to acknowledge the reports of the conditions in the camps he was not given a dog and pony show at.

And because he was a vocal critic of segregation and frequently spoke out against it. In the Democratic Party of the 1940s one simply did not do that.

It was for his "radical racial views" and fawning over the Soviets that he was replaced.

V.P. Harry Truman had no use for the Marines. When he became president he vowed to reduce the USMC to a ceremonial detachment after all they sacrificed. Maybe the intent was to force the Marines to cut and run when faced with such a formidable enemy and give the Corps. a black eye.

About 6,000 Marines were killed in a month on a freaking island that could have and should have been bypassed and we get cliches.

Your tone and whining tears bring shame to those fallen Marines. Not a single one of them would want modern, ahem—"men"—to weep for their sacrifice.

Norks never attacked Murica....Truman was Bush in the '50s...Fuck that asshole.
:yes_text12::thankusmile: the understatement of the century, the thread starter and you have both hit the nail on the head sense anything dudley smith diismisses as fake news,then thats all the evidence in the world you neeed its the truth.:iyfyus.jpg:

Your tone and whining tears bring shame to those fallen Marines. Not a single one of them would want modern, ahem—"men"—to weep for their sacrifice.
Uncommon valor was a common virtue on Iwo Jima. My intent is to bring some sense to the incredible loss and the political pressure that caused it. .

Research it yourself. The issue boils down to the myth that 6,000 Marines were sacrificed to give crippled bombers a tiny dot to land on. The mission statement was to stop Japanese fighters from harassing bombers on the way to Japan. I admit the theory that Iwo was a test of the Japanese defenders is my own but historic opinion is what it's all about. Otherwise the forum would be a dull exercise in plagiarism.

Last edited:
I can't state with any certainty whether or not we should have skipped over Iwo Jima, but I would argue that Peleliu would have been a better island to ignore, while they had a landing strip on it, I'm not sure it was of any real importance to anyone other than Gen. Rupertus himself, who refused help from an Army division setting on troop carriers off ashore. He said it would be a "quickie" that the Marines would finish in three days. He couldn't have been more wrong, and he would be dead himself from heart failure in 6 months.

We skipped fighting on Rabaul and effectively bypassed it. When the war ended there were still 69,000 troops alive on it. That is over three times the number on Iwo or Peleliu.

Research it yourself.

That is a pure copout. I did look briefly, came up with nothing.

You are the one that is making a claim, you are the one that has to validate that it is a legitimate claim and has merit. That is not how it work.

Otherwise, I can simply say that you are really an above average Irish Setter, and type with your tail.

Not up to me to prove it, you have to prove you are not an Irish Setter.

Forum List

Back